Running off of an external Hard Drive

I have the game currently installed onto my computer but could i copy paste the files over to an external hard drive and then run the program from that external on a different machine using the external? Is this possible? Would it be fast enough with a USB 2.0 connection? thinking about speed as well?

thanks
"Beta"
I maybe totally off base here But my suggestion would be to download the client again and direct it to the external drive for install. I have heard usb is faster then the old drives on the market, I think it would be worth the time to try
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/141847 (shop)
IGN; xxdaath or aleister_crowley_lives

he who knows little believes he knows much
he who knows much as learned of his ignorance
Last edited by thelemite on Feb 1, 2013, 4:36:23 PM
It's doable. I've copied the entire Path of Exile folder and put it elsewhere on another drive and it worked fine.

With regards to USB2.0 speed, it'll work but your zone loading will take awhile. The game doesn't seem to use streaming so you should be ok once everything is loaded.
If the client doesn't write to your OS in any way, you could possibly do this. I guess you could only try? But I agree, you should re-install to said drive, not copy/paste.

But a little education on computer speed:

PC's are only as fast as the slowest component in use for any given process. In other words, if I have a Solid State Drive and high bus speed, with a very fast CPU and lots of RAM, but I'm using an on-board video card with only 256MB of shared memory, my gaming experience is going to be severely limited because of my video card.

For most people, their weak link is either RAM or Hard Drive. USB 2 won't really help that if the hard drive being used isn't any better than what you have. One of the greatest tricks-of-the-trade is advertising how fast USB speeds are, or SATA if you have it, but not giving specs on the hard drive being used by that technology.

So, in short, probably you won't see a speed boost or performance boost using USB 2, Sata, or whatever, unless the hard drive in question is actually a good step up from what you have and (this is equally important) the system you're plugging into can actually handle the faster data speed.

If you consider an eight lane highway shrinking into a 4 lane highway you can imagine the bottle-necking you might see using faster equipment on gear that can't support it, and vice-versa.

Either way, it's worth a shot really.

Good luck and Happy Gaming!!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info