[1.1.X] CoC EK+Arc with AA and EB/MoM - Cheap, fun, solid - 78 map video inside !

Hello Exiles !

I'm here to present to you all my modification of the Barrage Wonder Wanderer build. I invite you to read it, those builds have a lot in common and his guide is great.

I played the Wanderer until lvl 85, and those are the thoughts that made me change the build.
-Tankiness wasn't great.
-Chain as a 6th link sucks for single target, Arc is a better choice imo, but it makes ele reflect undoable with said build.
-I found that once you get to lvl ~80, there is not much to look for on the passive tree. A few crit nodes here and there, a bit more life... That's it. That's an issue for me as I intended to make that character my main mapping dude, and I wanted to get more impactful passives as I kept going up in levels.
-You absolutely need INT on gear to use Imbued Wand. Not with this build.

A warning, although it is a pretty cheap build, it still requires a 6l (Tabula is fine, my 6l sucks ass and it works) or 5l Voll's protector, as well as ~3/5 chaos worth of wands. Either Maligaro's or Rat's nest (I don't like using both as it is too taxing on defense) will help, I would not say either is needed though.

That being said, let's get to it !

Videos
Spoiler

Turn your volume all the way down for those !
71 map, Facetanking Carnage
72 map, double reflect and vulnerability

Sound is fixed for this one !
78 map, Phys reflect

Details about my character
Spoiler
Its name is MoMaCoC, mother of CoCoriCoC (wonder wanderer), wife of PoPaCoC, which you may hear more about at some point. Or not. Either way, groundslam CoCing glacial cascade looks sick, especially without pants.
Uh. So...

Right now, I'm sitting at 4,5k life, 1,2k unreserved mana.
3,4k armor, going up to 21k with Jade flask and Molten Shell.

Main hand/offhand crit chance without charges : 61%/56%
With charges : 94%/86%
88% chance to hit (~2k accuracy rating)
2,34 attacks per second

Resists : ~50% fire and cold (thank god I have spare flask slots...), 75% lightning (most important one here)

Current tree, lvl 87

Offense
Spoiler
There wasn't much points to remove from the wonder wanderer, unless the change was drastic. So I decided to remove all projectile damage nodes, counting on shock stacks and arc damage to make up for it. Spoiler, it does.
So, the 6l is very basic : Barrage + CoC + PCoC + EK + Arc + Life Leech
Right click, watch stuff die, repeat.

Defense
Spoiler
This is where it gets interesting imo.
First thing is, of course, Mind over Matter and Arctic Armor. With 160% increased Mana Regeneration Rate and 112% increased maximum Mana, no problem using those. I run clarity and discipline as auras, have 1.3k Mana available with shitty MoM gear.
This + a powerfull phys defense gems setup takes care of anything physical, phys reflect is no problem at all.
Nor is elemental reflect ! With the 30% increased flask effect, you get to 88% lightning resist at the press of a button. With the obvious surgeon flask mod, you can keep that up all day. Added to the mitigation provided by MoM, this is enough to engage packs without the flask. You can even kill whites that way, but as the flask recharges so quickly, no reason not to use them.

Leveling up
Spoiler
I leveled up with ST and some uniques. It was a pain, because of the very few damage nodes you can get, but it worked.
Leveling with spells seems totally viable due to the numerous spell dmg/cast speed available from the start. The choice is yours, depending on your leveling gear.

Most important is to keep EK, Arc, Arctic Armor, Clarity, Discipline and Cast on crit on your gear so they can level up.

The first Gem to use GCPs on is Cast on crit (gives %crit chance), then Arc (shock chance). Quality on EK is great as well, but not necessary.
Power charges on critical level and quality barely matters, you will always be maxed on charge once you fired a barrage or 2. Quality on Life leech is irrelevant because of Vaal Pact.

Getting the build started + core of the passive tree (lvl 58)
Spoiler
The switch to Cast on Crit happens around level 58, when you can use the imbued wand. Passive tree for lvl 58
At this point, all the damage increase you will get is from gear or gems leveling.
From there, you will go for Deep Thoughts, Eldritch Battery and then Mind over Matter, then make your way to the duelist area while getting life as needed.
If you are really short on resists, the 3 +18% each res of Scion can help, as well as the 2 6% all res readily available.

Mapping
Spoiler
I haven't played in a while, but I think every single map mod is doable on its own, only thing to worry about are the nasty combos, like elemental reflect and -max resist. No regen maps are ok thanks to the hybrid flask and Devouring Totem. Blood magic cuts harshly into your defense, but they are doable.
Pre-MoM/AA, reflects should be avoided.

Finished tree, 120 points

Gear and Gems
Spoiler

Classic aura setup, Wand with crit chance, spell dmg and 1.5 aps. Standard Barrage CoC weapon. Note the projectile speed, again, not needed, but still more important than in the Wonder Wanderer as you get none from the tree. Without it, you wil need to be pretty close to get the full dmg, but that's ok, the build can take it.

Mobility skill, same kind of wand. Mine has sweet bonuses for the build, but none of these are needed, once again.

There's the 6l. Not much to say here, except that why the f did my "6l in 8 fusings" luck went to an ilvl 50 item. Oh well. All you need here is to have 6l.

I use Rat's nest over maligaro's because of the better defensive stats, crit multiplier is always nice, but my spells only have ~20/25% crit chance. Up to you really.
This gem setup isn't really important, only Arctic Armor is needed, the rest is up to you. Even faster casting can be replaced, as usually you cast AA at the start of the zone and forget about it.

Base type of item should be Armor + ES to roll colors easily, EV + ES works too.
Then you're looking for Life, Resists (duh), bonus ES and/or Mana. Armor/Evasion isn't really important actually.
Gem setup is one fold of the phys defense, with CWDT, 2 enduring cries, and crit curse. The 2nd enduring cry is useless, so disregard that.

Exact same stuff that you're looking for on boots, and accuracy. As you can see, I only have ~1300 base armor. And that's enough.
Second fold of the CWDT defense, with CWDT, Immortal Call, Molten Shell and Devouring totem. The latter could be switched to increased duration, but as it usually goes off with 2+ endurance charges, it is not as important as in the classic setup CWDT + Enduring + Immortal Call. Devouring totem is really good for this build, replenishing Mana and Life.

Mana regen amulet works, but I would advise one with +STR, to level the 2nd CWDT setup a bit more. If you get some from other pieces this is obviously not needed.
Rather standard stuff else, get Life, resists, Mana/ES, Mana regen. If you can get some crit chance or spell damage, it is better of course. Accuracy is also very good, even needed to some extent.

Diamond rings, Life, Resists, Accuracy are the most important.

Rustic Sash, Life, Resists, ES, etc...

Flasks
Spoiler

These 3 are the only ones required. Disregard the mods, except surgeon of course, I'm too poor to roll them any better. I think the reasons for each are rather obvious so I won't bother detailing them.

Big thank you to j0zef for taking the time to point out some suboptimal passives allocation. The trees on this guide are corrected, but it is not reflected in the HP value of my character, which should be higher with the same gear.

Thanks everyone for reading !
Last edited by Cynry on Jul 8, 2014, 5:47:55 PM
Updated, more to come.

By the way, this is my first guide, and I would appreciate some feedbacks/pieces of advice about it.
"
Cynry wrote:

Gem setup is one fold of the phys defense, with CWDT, 2 enduring cries, and crit curse. I've been told using 2 enduring cries is useless, but it seems to work, generating charges quicker and more reliably between Immortal calls casts.

Once enduring cry gets triggered, it is on a GLOBAL 4 sec cooldown that can't be bypassed by socketing several enduring cry gems. All multiple copies of EC share the same cooldown timer. Enduring cry behaves like that since patch 0.11.5.
Mh I see, I guess I was confused by the 2 charges I got in one cast, probably the result of only one cry then. Thanks for the info !
Hi! Ty for your guide!, I like to follow it instead of wanderer one, please, can you post a Shadow passive path?

Cya!
For shadow I would start with the 2 16% spell dmg, and then the 3 10% ele dmg before carrying on with the build. Thing is, this is 5 points that you would miss elsewhere imo, more damage isn't really needed, as most points are here for survivability. Most likely you will sacrifice some life or mana/mana regen for this.

All good for softcore/ambush though ! Thanks for your interest !
Edited the OP with 2 videos.
If there is interest, I can record some higher level maps.
can someone explain to me why we take discipline when we have eldritch battery? as in why give more mana when its just reserved away.
Last edited by captainhector on May 11, 2014, 4:24:55 PM
That's because your mana regen is based on your maximum mana. Even though I lose some available mana when using discipline (not much, maybe 1 or 200), I believe it's still better as it allows to run a higher level Arctic Armor, and gives more regen for Mind over Matter, which kinda translates into life regen.
Last edited by Cynry on May 11, 2014, 5:41:48 PM
ok thanks didnt know it was based on max mana im still a nub

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info