Zapp Brannigan Summoner (No Snapshot Summoner) - 1.1.2B Updated

Intro:
Spoiler
Hey there, my IGN is TelAnnia, at least on my summoner. This is my no snapshot summoner. It works pretty well based on one simple method of handling everything I run into. I call it the Zapp Brannigan Method, the following video will explain this method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULYMufkgsDM#t=27

Passive Tree:
Spoiler
20 Points
40 Points
60 Points
100 Points
Final Build

You'll notice there's a bit of a change from the intial and the final build. Your pathway changes and you have to respec the beginning 16 or so points. This is because you need a spell intially to get through levels until your minions carry you and are strong enough. I used a combo of ice nova and ice spear, flameblast works just as well.

Bandits:
Spoiler
Normal: Kill All
Cruel: Kill All
Merciless: Kill All

They really don't give you anything you need, just grab those precious skill points.

Skills:
Spoiler

Raise Spectre + Minion Damage + Increased AOE + Concentrated Effect + Added Fire + Faster Casting

Alrighty so the reason Raise Spectre is your six link is because it's your damage. You get Evangelist and you just run around killing everything while basically casting curses, either bone or flesh offering and spamming skeletons. Now you could use remote mine, but screw that you are here because snapshotting is too much work and so is remote mine. You just want to push A and see the name and cast Raise Spectre. The reason for the rest of the supports is simple, Minion Damage gives you quite a bit of damage and so does Added Fire. Increased AOE and Concentrated Effect cancel out each other when it comes to the area covered (Eventually you actually get more AOE), but you also get more damage again. Now the final support, faster casting. Using this is debatable, I don't feel like it actually does a whole lot. I don't notice more attacks or anything, maybe their shield is up more but this can be solved by throwing an increased duration on them instead, but you are playing this build and you probably will never have a six link. I don't even have five and I'm doing fine.

Raise Zombie + Multistrike + Melee Splash + Faster Attacks

These zombies are your main tanks, they are beef cakes who take a good amount of damage while dishing it out. They help take out packs of mobs and are your real damage until you hit Merciless Act 3 and can start getting Evangelists for Raise Spectre. You're picking up melee splash to help clear out packs before you ever get Evangelists. Multistrike and faster attack are there because the attack is so slow you need that boost to actually do damage with these guys.

Vaal Summon Skeletons + Minion Damage + Faster Attacks + Increased Duration

This is you boss killer, I just hold this until I find the boss and then boom. Sudden DEATH. That's right you cast this and sit back and watch, the sheer numbers will overcome anything. Now with increased duration you often have these guys outlast any fight, but it's nice when you run a double rogue invaders and they are sitting next to the map boss. Suddenly that extra time is just enough. Minion damage and faster attacks ensure you will get enough damage out of this skill to kill a boss.

Summon Skeletons + Minion Life + Multistrike

The potatoes of the build, if Raise Spectre is the meat then this is the better half. You spam these guys and they just soak up all the damage, they simply just make a wall of bodies to block. The minion life is there to ensure they don't just get one shot and make a terrible wall of bodies. Multistrike is so that they attack a few times before dying, making them more than just a meat shield.

Reduced Mana + Clarity + Hatred

Reduced Mana + Clarity + Purity of Elements + Vitality

So aura time, the reason I have two sets of aura's is that I run with other people. So I want you to see the optimal aura set up. The first one is what you should run solo if you want to just wreck face and go pretty quick through maps. The second set I run all the time because I'm doing fine on damage so I picked up purity of elements and vitality to help my own stats, since you are actually the weak link in this build. Clarity is nice because it keeps you at full mana all the time.

Bone Offering

This spell can be really nice for making sure your minions take no damage, if you aren't having issues with that then you can cast flesh offering instead.

Flesh Offering

Minions not dying then get more damage out of them, if they start to die cast bone offering instead. These two are pretty self explanatory.

Vulnerability

This is a great curse and the one I currently run, it helps your Evangelists do more damage since their spell is physical damage.

Temporal Chains

This is another great curse you can run as it ensures your Evangelists are going to hit what they are shooting at.

Arctic Armor

So if you run the first aura set up you can sneak this bad boy in and let's be honest, it's a life savor most of the time. If you are dying a lot, then get this in there and level it as high as your mana regen will allow. It's just too damn useful in keeping you alive not to.

Lightning Warp

Not having issues? Running the first aura set? Have an empty slot? This mobility skill is for you then, if you really have nothing better to slot.

Gear Needed:
Spoiler

Alright so it's simple on why you need these two things. The amulet gives some nice mana regeneration and great bonuses to your minions. The boots give you that extra spectre, you need 3 to get to end game. This allows you to do maps and late game pretty well, getting 4 spectres is like a holy grail. So that's why the wand is there, in addition to it giving you more zombies and skeletons. Some say it's possible to hit 5, but I haven't tested the build with that chest piece.

My Gear:
Spoiler

Summoner Tips:
Spoiler
Coming Soon

Q&A:
Spoiler
Coming once I get some questions.

Videos:
Spoiler
Coming once I figure out how to add videos/once my new computer gets here in about a week and can capture some.

Stream:

Change Log:
Spoiler
4/28/14 - Created
5/1/14 - Added Stream Link and 100 Point Build
Last edited by qrahe on May 1, 2014, 11:51:11 PM
"
It works pretty well based on one simple method of handling everything I run into. I call it the Zapp Brannigan Method, the following video will explain this method. (Or it will once I learn how to insert youtube videos into this thing.)

The build relies on one method but you're posting it before you can explain the method?

You're killing normal bandits (8res or 40HP) but youre taking 6res nodes in the tree?

What's the highest map level you've done?
All my builds /view-thread/1430399

T14 'real' clearspeed challenge /1642265
If I knew how to post a video you would understand, that whole thing is a joke. The method of playing it is explained pretty thoroughly in the skills section. Also I'm still adjusting the build, I really don't need those nodes, they are place holders until I finish figuring out what I want. As for highest map I've run it's been a 73 solo, only because I haven't gotten anything higher.

Edit: I updated the skill tree to be what I like now. I got the video in, I thought there was a way to embed videos like with BBCode, that is not the case as I learned. Added a link for the Zapp Brannigan Summoner Method!
Last edited by qrahe on Apr 29, 2014, 1:50:01 AM
Honestly, I've found that since they introduced the minion node changes and (mainly) summon raging spirit, you can level as a summoner without any problems. It may not be fast, but you can certainly do it far easier than in the past.

Also, you would be better off getting something like this for curses:

It will free up 5 points for use elsewhere and you really do not need the "curses do not expire" node. It takes all of a second to reapply curses to harder bosses and almost all other mobs should be dead before their curses wear off.
Ya, corrupting for +1 Curse would be nice but I play mostly self found and half the point of this build is just the lazy mans summoner. I mean I built it originally because I don't like snapshotting, I feel like it's cheating the spirit of the game. I mean half the time I run maps and I sit there and spam "R" to summon skeletons as I run around. Creating a wall of bodies to rush down whatever stands in my way, I don't even curse 99% of the time.
I hear ya with the snapshotting thing. I am not a fan of it either. That ammy I found and corrupted myself, trying to get extra minion damage as an implicit, but got that instead (got +1 frenzy charges on the first one I found.... really useless for us :p).
Ya, if I get another ammy I will probably vaal it.
You really should be adding a 100 points tree. Going from a 60 point to a 120 point tree ain't helpful as (almost) nobody reaches lvl 100.
I thought I had put that in but I guess I didn't, I threw up a 100 point build. Honestly post getting every minion node you just start picking up Life, ES, and Reduced Reservation.
Is there a reason why you pick life AND ES nodes? Is this to compensate for the life penalty of midnight bargain?
If so, i personally think dropping it and having 1 spectre less, but being able to invest more points in auras will give you a higher minion dps + survivability despite the fact that you have a few minions less. Of course you would end up with pretty much mattc's tree:

Even if you want to keep the ES nodes i would skip the increased ES cooldown nodes. With minions ES recovery really shouldn't be a problem.
I'ld also go to the shadow side through deep wisdom (3 points) instead of the 4 points (5 with the 8% mana node) route that you took.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info