Dsync - Add A Short Immunity Please

Well - there goes my 3rd HC character to nothing more than pure Dsync... I've started to learn what causes this Dsync - too fast of movements, trying to walk through mobs, multiple players moving through a door way at once - basically anything that has to do with the server not being able to properly predict your movement because of some awkward miss step...

Here's the problem with it - it happens - sometimes pretty frequently... so... Okay, maybe it's really super hard to fix, and that's fine - but how about we stop punishing us for this... this isn't always because of mistakes we make, sometimes, the nature of the game causes us to have an awkward movement...

I was on my shadow, minding my own business (bow shadow by the way), clearing through mobs, and tried to walk forward, and got momentarily hung up on a boulder in the middle of the road... now, I didn't expect this to cause such a big problem - but about... 10 seconds later, I was snapped back to that boulder, and what's worse - now there were about 15 enemy rangers on my position, and with one flick of their bows - I was dead...

***ADD AN IMMUNITY***

Obviously when a character dsyncs - the server knows this, because it can't calculate their current position, and tries to snap them back to their last known position - the MOMENT this happens, you should be giving the player an immunity - from ALL damage during the Dsyncing, the snap back to last known location, and maybe even 1 or 2 seconds after words - give us enough time to react to the problem of the server dsync - I can deal with dsync, if I get snapped back, I know i have a couple of seconds to either Alt + F4, exit to login, hit a tp, or insta pot/quicksilver and run like hell... THAT'S FINE.... I can DEAL with that...

I can't deal with this miss communication of the server wiping out my character - when I've effectively done nothing wrong, but try to walk around a boulder that was poorly placed in the middle of the freakin road... I mean... really??

hours upon hours wasted on 3 characters - got my Shadow up to lvl 50, and died in a lvl 43 zone... not good... and not really conducive to me wanting to continue playing, tbh... If I die cause I did something wrong, I can deal with that, I've even been taking measures to make sure I'm causing as little dsyncing as possible... but this... a boulder... *sigh*
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Well let me explain some things about the game:

1) The game uses prediction technology to allow the Client to predict how the monsters will behave, this is what happens while the game waits for gameplay updates from the server. The game does not constantly get fed data from the server, it gets fed data periodically (Like every 5 seconds).

This works fine and dandy when there is one Human player as there is only one unknown element in the mix/for the enemies to react to.

2) When multiple players are in the same area the prediction AI will completely fail because it won't know what the other Human will be doing at any time. Monsters will behave how the Server thinks they will while the Client will be making wrong predictions while waiting for the next update from the Server.

3) It is extremely unlikely that anything can be done about this.

4) This will be a significantly smaller issue if every player in the Party/area has a low ping to the server.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Feb 1, 2013, 3:38:02 AM
i already know all of these things about the game...

and I even stated - that the Dsyncing is probably hard to fix completely

so... when the server detects a dsync, then it can grant a very short immunity to that player... ta da... seems like problem solved to me

As I stated, we don't have to have the dsync fixed, but we do need to stop being punished for when it happens - snap me back in time, fine, but then don't let me be completely vulnerable while we all figure out what just happened....
"
Prostasisx wrote:
i already know all of these things about the game...

and I even stated - that the Dsyncing is probably hard to fix completely

so... when the server detects a dsync, then it can grant a very short immunity to that player... ta da... seems like problem solved to me

As I stated, we don't have to have the dsync fixed, but we do need to stop being punished for when it happens - snap me back in time, fine, but then don't let me be completely vulnerable while we all figure out what just happened....

How do you want it to detect a desynch? It doesn't have constant communication with the server which would be required to detect that. Doing that would negate the need to do periodic gameplay updates and a Prediction system, and the lack of both will generate a significantly higher work load from the server infrastructure per player playing.

I'm not saying it isn't possible as Diablo 3 had fairly good multiplayer in terms of maintaining synchronization. I'm just helping point out the facts about what is making it an extremely difficult challenge to over come.

Your suggestion can be exploited by simply making your own internet connection lag/drop packets to undo a death in Hardcore.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Feb 1, 2013, 3:42:50 AM
no - a dsync is detected at some point, and an attempt is made to replace your character at its last known location - the moment this occurs and for 1 to 2 seconds afterwards, the character should be granted immunity. I mean, if you die you die, the resurrect button comes up - then no amount of "lagging" your connection, should allow you to get pulled back in time before your death - since that currently doesn't happen either...

What I'm saying is the moment the dsync occurs and the server and your client go "oh, look, the predicted position and the actual position don't match - granting immunity while we put you back in place, and for 1 second afterwards"

I'm not sure i'm understanding the problem with that...

I'm not asking anyone to OVERCOME the problem of dsycning - i'm only asking to make the player immune for a few moments, so when they're snapped back into that "holy hell what happened" moment, you have enough time to react in SOME fashion...

currently - if you dsync into a mob of rangers - you're dead before you can react - 15-20 bows trained on you and all firing the moment you snap back, you won't be able to do anything - the human brain can't react fast enough
It doesn't detect it, like I said it periodically automatically does a resynch every few seconds. This isn't because it detects a desynch.

it's like a Virus Scanner scheduled to check for updates, it will do it even if there are none because it isn't aware that there are none until it does it. The game is completely unaware of the desynch between regularly occurring game state synchronizes.

The game client does not know if it is or isn't in sync with the server, all it does is download the latest update from the server every few seconds.
Computer specifications:
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Feb 1, 2013, 4:21:38 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info