My Video Card burned. Suggest a replacement.

Hey guys, title says it all.

I had a 9800 GT Sonic Edition for four years, and he finally died from old age or overuse. I am now in need of a replacement. Something similar to it or a bit better would be nice. Here are some of the stuff to consider:

PSU: Cooler Master 525W (note that it's not the Wattage. It's the model name and we should assume that it's somewhere about 500 or even below). It also has a 6-pin.
Processor: AMD Athlon x2 240 2.8GHz
Motherboard: EMAXX 780G. It only has 1 PCIE slot

Also consider that something with a VGA output is much preferred cuz my Monitor is VGA. I've had this computer for four years and I jsut want something to tide me over until next year, when The Witcher 3 comes out.
Bump for the hell of bumping.
Don't get me all excited like that.

Oh yeah, please take note that while I said a VGA port is preferred, it isn't a requirement. I can do fine with DVI, since I use an adapter to use my 9800GT anyway.
Been doing some research and the most likely candidates are either GTS 250/450. The GTS 250 is damn close to the 9800 GT (in addition to some models also having a VGA port), while the 450 has only 128-bit memory interface width (the 9800GT has 256), but 1GB of on-board memory and on top of that, it's GDDR5 (the 9800GT is only 512MB with GDDR3).

Which one is better? The price difference between these two is miniscule.
What is your budget?

You can get (or some cards come with) a DVI to VGA adapter, so don't worry about needing a VGA port. Any card newer than three years old will only have DVI/Displayport/HDMI.

I'm hesitant to recommend anything at this point, because I personally believe your money would be better utilized in saving towards a new rig that is a little more up to date. You are about three generations behind right now, and I feel you would be throwing money away trying to fit an obsolete card into your existing system.
"We were going to monitor the situation but it was in the wrong aspect ratio."
What exactly burned on your video card? If its just a blown capacitor those are cheap (under a dollar usually) and easy to replace. Its something to look into. And since its already broke, you would have nothing to lose by trying to replace the capacitors.

HAIL SATAN!
Last edited by tramshed on Apr 25, 2014, 4:31:44 PM
Z@garrot:
Well, I don't particularly care about being up to date atm. There are only two games in my rig anyway: PoE and Dota 2. I just want to get up and running again. Basically, I just want to have something to tide me over until I overhaul next year.

@tramshed:
I'm not so sure what exactly. All I know is that there are image artifacts like vertical lines when it's in use and it overheats quite easily. When. I turn on the computer something smels like it's burning.

Here's what it looks like:
Last edited by vulcanfury12 on Apr 25, 2014, 10:58:00 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info