Traps used as traps.

Instead of thrown proximity grenades with no fuse.

Old video with a consideration from Chris.

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/path-of-exile-now-playing/2300-6402616/ at 6:54.

Adjusting traps with an increased, required timer and having a Grenade skill would separate the two and add some interesting and fun options.

Grenade

Converts an ability into a throwable grenade that activates on contact with the ground.

- 20% less damage.
- Skill effects are instant.

Examples

- Cyclone. (spawns an Animated Guardian that cyclones towards the nearest enemy, bonuses from minion damage only)

- Shock Nova, Concentrated Effect. (overlapping shock grenades)

- Vitality, Increased Duration (allies hit by the grenade area gain a modified effect of the linked aura, with vitality it's like a healing regeneration bomb)

- Enduring Cry, Increased Area of Effect (grants players and monsters hit with it 1 endurance charge, large cooldown)

- Righteous Fire (incendiary grenades, can also damage yourself and allies)

- Vulnerability (if a curse is linked to the grenade, the grenade will do standard + weapon elemental damage of your main hand weapon and curse)

- Lightning Warp, Faster Cast (the grenade explodes generating the first part of lightning warp then chooses the closest target to teleport to, homing grenade)

- Portal (instant portal, for quick escapes)
Last edited by Pinchyskree on Apr 24, 2014, 7:35:32 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I think making grenades work with melee skills would be a mess in terms of balance and animations (same reason why traps/mines/totems can't use melee skills), and with most ranged skills, a damage penalty would be unacceptable when you could have just fired the skill directly. I do like the idea of tossing spell grenades, though, if it can be made interesting from a metagame perspective.
You can't shoot most things around corners.
The Trap support gem should simply work with melee skills. No need for a new "grenade" gem. It shouldn't need to generate a Guardian or anything; the trap is its own entity, just have it Cyclone.

This would require some new attack animations for Traps to be created, but I think the end result is worth it.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Apr 25, 2014, 12:11:41 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
The Trap support gem should simply work with melee skills. No need for a new "grenade" gem. It shouldn't need to generate a Guardian or anything; the trap is its own entity, just have it Cyclone.

The issue with this is that traps are destroyed as soon as they trigger, whereas Cyclone takes a while, and can normally be stopped mid-cycle by killing whatever is using the skill. It's the same reason that traps can't use Flameblast.

Something like Leap Slam would work just fine from a mechanics perspective, though. I think the main reason that melee skills are banned from traps/mines/totems is balance: melee skills are supposed to be risky to use, in return for greater rewards (more damage, generally speaking, or at any rate it's easy to crank up the damage on a 2h melee attack). Players have suggested some kind of 'melee attack golem' a few times now, but it seems GGG has rejected the idea for this reason.
"
Incompetent wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

The issue with this is that traps are destroyed as soon as they trigger, whereas Cyclone takes a while, and can normally be stopped mid-cycle by killing whatever is using the skill. It's the same reason that traps can't use Flameblast.

Something like Leap Slam would work just fine from a mechanics perspective, though. I think the main reason that melee skills are banned from traps/mines/totems is balance: melee skills are supposed to be risky to use, in return for greater rewards (more damage, generally speaking, or at any rate it's easy to crank up the damage on a 2h melee attack). Players have suggested some kind of 'melee attack golem' a few times now, but it seems GGG has rejected the idea for this reason.
Could just add a penalty for melee skills to the Trap gem.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
No.

The idea was to make traps be used as traps and have something replace the current tactic.

Nothing to do with melee skills from traps.
I think its just fine as it is. If we Make traps essentially more realistic they will be more like mines and need to be set and that takes time. Throwing them on the ground is just faster and more of a fluid gameplay. It was the same in D2, you were supposed to set up to 5 traps and lure monsters into them but that never took off, people were just planting traps in front of enemies.
Because they never bothered to improve traps.

Grenades offer more fluid gameplay, hence the replacement.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info