Need suggestions for Asenath's Gentle Touch gloves

OK, I'm new to the game. I am currently building a ST w/decent melee char. and best armor I can get. Having got these gloves on a drop, and even though I hate the idea of giving up a good chunk of armor, I'm wondering if the benefits would outweigh that and HOW I should use them. I don't understand quite how they work w/support gems and what I should put in them and what needs to be linked on them, i.e. Added Duration should work w/0 being linked to anything, but would other gems? Should I add more sockets and links? Should I even use these on a build focused on armor?
Well, I cant get the gloves to link, but basically they have 2L blue sockets.
Armor is only one of the things you should look for on your items. If something has an overall greater value but is an off-item I find that it's more often worth it to use that item. Even better yet, it helps give you an item that can more easily get "off color" gem slots for the gems you use that aren't your primary color.

If you don't already use curses, Asenath's Gentle touch will be a good item for many levels. It will decrease the DPS of any enemy by 25% because of the temporal chains curse. This will negate way more damage than any armor on gloves could negate, especially if you're already using armor on all your other peices.

They will not work with support gems. The mod on the gloves is "Cast this spell when hit" not "cast this spell with gems in this item as supports" Assuming you continue to hit things with it, they will reset the duration and you won't ever have to worry about the duration.

Using abilities that do area of effect or adding area of effect through melee splash or multistrike will curse everything around you that you hit, though. Make sure you're using some sort of area of effect to maximize the usage of the item.
"
PsionicKitten wrote:
Armor is only one of the things you should look for on your items. If something has an overall greater value but is an off-item I find that it's more often worth it to use that item. Even better yet, it helps give you an item that can more easily get "off color" gem slots for the gems you use that aren't your primary color.

If you don't already use curses, Asenath's Gentle touch will be a good item for many levels. It will decrease the DPS of any enemy by 25% because of the temporal chains curse. This will negate way more damage than any armor on gloves could negate, especially if you're already using armor on all your other peices.

They will not work with support gems. The mod on the gloves is "Cast this spell when hit" not "cast this spell with gems in this item as supports" Assuming you continue to hit things with it, they will reset the duration and you won't ever have to worry about the duration.

Using abilities that do area of effect or adding area of effect through melee splash or multistrike will curse everything around you that you hit, though. Make sure you're using some sort of area of effect to maximize the usage of the item.

Wrong, this doesn't decrease enemy dps. Enfeeble does that.

However, Temporal Chains does slow enemies by 25%, which does more than "decrease" their dps. I've found the most powerful part is that all other things decay 50% slower on cursed enemies. When used with a Cast on Crit character using Arctic Breath, enemies stay frozen almost forever.

If you are an ES or CI character, these gloves sacrifice an acceptable amount of ES and resistance for Temporal Chains cursing targets.

An important note: wearing these gloves means all damage you do will curse enemies, be it an attack, a projectile attack, or a spell. It will curse enemies.
"
Natharias wrote:

Do you mean that Enfeeble is more useful for reducing enemy DPS?

Enemies attacking and casting x% slower will reduce their dps, though spike damage is of course still dangerous.
"
Natharias wrote:

WRONG. It does decrease DPS (Also known as Damage per second) by lowering their attacks by a percentage. Enfeeble reduces DPS by reducing the amount of the hit but they hit just as fast. Temporal Chains reduces the attack/cast speed of the hits, but they hit just as hard when they do hit. Overall the DPS is lowered by both. Temporal chains lasts less as long, and they pursue slower when running away too.

Enfeeble's strengths is that it turns those huge hits into ones you can possibly survive and lowers accuracy, crit chance and crit damage too. Both are useful at reducing total incoming DPS, although, I'd say that temporal chains is probably better for a ranged character than melee, because it means they won't get in melee range as fast either.
"
KG31459 wrote:
"
Natharias wrote:

Do you mean that Enfeeble is more useful for reducing enemy DPS?

Enemies attacking and casting x% slower will reduce their dps, though spike damage is of course still dangerous.

"
PsionicKitten wrote:
"
Natharias wrote:

WRONG. It does decrease DPS (Also known as Damage per second) by lowering their attacks by a percentage. Enfeeble reduces DPS by reducing the amount of the hit but they hit just as fast. Temporal Chains reduces the attack/cast speed of the hits, but they hit just as hard when they do hit. Overall the DPS is lowered by both. Temporal chains lasts less as long, and they pursue slower when running away too.

Enfeeble's strengths is that it turns those huge hits into ones you can possibly survive and lowers accuracy, crit chance and crit damage too. Both are useful at reducing total incoming DPS, although, I'd say that temporal chains is probably better for a ranged character than melee, because it means they won't get in melee range as fast either.

Perhaps you should read my post. It does more than reduce enemy dps and that is the least important part of it.

If you are concerned with reducing enemy dps, then you should look at Enfeeble first, as it also reduces enemy accuracy, crit chance, and crit multiplier.

I don't see why you two are so uppity now.
"
PsionicKitten wrote:
Enfeeble's strengths is that it turns those huge hits into ones you can possibly survive and lowers accuracy, crit chance and crit damage too.

"
Natharias wrote:
Perhaps you should read my post. It does more than reduce enemy dps and that is the least important part of it.

If you are concerned with reducing enemy dps, then you should look at Enfeeble first, as it also reduces enemy accuracy, crit chance, and crit multiplier.

Maybe you should start reading other peoples posts... and not call them out on being wrong when they aren't. Perhaps that's why people are "getting uppity." You're not being constructive. Rather than answering the OP for his/her specific situation that was asked you went on to actually feeding wrong information in response to my post (because you feel that because enfeeble more directly reduces damage as opposed to the more indirect route of temporal chains that you totally dismissed the fact that it does indeed reduce DPS).

If you're curious as to why I mentioned that it decreases DPS, it's because the OP was worried about how much damage he/she may take by not using an armor set of gloves over these. I almost always would suggest whichever is overall more powerful and useful for the gear, even if it doesn't match up with your primary defense you've chosen.

To the OP, Natharias is right, if you are looking for total straight reduction in total DPS, enfeeble will do that better, and KG31459 is also right that the way temporal chains works makes the damage spikier. But in response to your post, using those gloves will be good for a duration of time while leveling, but unless you make a build around them, they'll be better off upgraded to something better when you find a good replacement for them.

When you get to a point in time where you have better, I would suggest switching to Cast When Damage Taken + Enfeeble + enduring cry because you'll need it in melee. You can get Cast When Damage taken as a quest reward for the Library quest in merciless Act 3, enduring cry most likely as a quest reward somewhere along the line, but enfeeble might take some time to find if you don't trade for it. Keep your Cast when Damage taken gem at level 1 and level your enduring Cry and Enfeeble up to level 5 (if you have sufficent int). Right click on the '+' level symbol to hide them and keep them at that level. This will make you much more survivable once you've outgrown your temporal chains gloves.

Also, since you're melee, consider picking up +max endurance charges to synergize with enduring cry. You'll get 4% physical damage reduction and 4% increased elemental resistances per active endurance charge.
Last edited by PsionicKitten on Apr 24, 2014, 12:47:49 AM
"
PsionicKitten wrote:
"
PsionicKitten wrote:
Enfeeble's strengths is that it turns those huge hits into ones you can possibly survive and lowers accuracy, crit chance and crit damage too.

"
Natharias wrote:

Maybe you should start reading other peoples posts... and not call them out on being wrong when they aren't. Perhaps that's why people are "getting uppity." You're not being constructive.

All I need to read. You might want to actually read my first post, as it's you who's not reading anything.

"
Natharias wrote:
"
PsionicKitten wrote:

However, Temporal Chains does slow enemies by 25%, which does more than "decrease" their dps. I've found the most powerful part is that all other things decay 50% slower on cursed enemies. When used with a Cast on Crit character using Arctic Breath, enemies stay frozen almost forever.

If you are an ES or CI character, these gloves sacrifice an acceptable amount of ES and resistance for Temporal Chains cursing targets.

An important note: wearing these gloves means all damage you do will curse enemies, be it an attack, a projectile attack, or a spell. It will curse enemies.
"
Natharias wrote:

Wrong?

Not wrong, it's right. Enfeeble does it also. There was no wrong information in my post, as it was all correct. You said other stuff that was right but this is wrong. I'm not caring about the rest of your post, because it's right and needs no correction. I care about the part where you're wrong about saying I was wrong.
Last edited by PsionicKitten on Apr 24, 2014, 1:40:57 AM
Gameplay Help threads, particularly those made by new players, are no place to make outright false statements.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info