% increased attack speed better than % increased physical damage

Hi, if i add to my infernal blow with 8400 DPS 20% increased physical damage it gains only 200 DPS but if i add 10% increased attack speed then the dps reach 9100, i have helped oak, should i change into % attack speed? or should i respec my passive tree taking the attack speed node instead of physical damage node?
Last edited by Husken on Apr 23, 2014, 3:39:34 PM
Attack speed is basically *more* damage, so it's a multiplier over all increased sources, just like melee physical damage. It can be better if you already have lots of increased damage. You must do some calculation to see which one is better.

- A: All *increased* damage sources (gems and tree) stack additively. ie. sum them all, divide by 100 and add 1.
- B: All *more* damage sources, attack speed included, stack multiplicatively. Divide each by 100, add 1, and multiply all together. Special note for attack speed. attacks speed bonus are always of *increasde* type (as far as I know) so they stack together additively. It's the result of this addition wich is multiplicative (because dps = weapon damage * attack speed).
- A x B will give your overall damage multiplier for your weapon.

Calculate AxB for both option with your current tree and gem to find which option is better.

Quick example:

tree increased damage bonus: 200%
tree increased attack speed bonus: 25%
gem increased damage bonus 60%
gem more damage bonus : 45%
gem increased attack speed bonus : 40%

A: (1+(200+60)/100) = 3.6
B: (1+45/100)*(1+(25+40)/100) = 1.45 * 1.65 = 2.3925
AxB = 8.613

With Oak, we add 0.18 to A. AxB = 3.78*2.3925 = 9.04365
With Kraythin, we add 0.08 to attack speed sum: B = 1.45*1.73 = 2.5085. AxB = 3.6 * 2.5085 = 9.0306
Oak wins by a very small margin. But the win is more sensible in a hit & run scenario, because you will hit harder.
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
Last edited by Panini_aux_olives on Apr 23, 2014, 4:22:10 PM
i'm using Avatar of fire and Weapon elemental damage from the three, i have a Weapon Elemental damage skill gem too, can you help me to calculate?

tree increased damage bonus: 217%
tree increased attack speed bonus: 21%

These are the Gem
Hi,

Basically, for attacks the point at which 8% increased attack speed breaks even with 18% increased physical damage is if you have a total of 225% increased physical damage (225+18 = 243 = 225*1.08) in your passive tree, stats or off-weapon gear.

If you have more than 225% increased physical attack damage, the increased attack speed will give you more DPS.

If you have flat elemental damage bonuses, the effectiveness of the increased attack speed get better, of course.
Oak's bonus is supposedly a 1.18x More Multiplier to Physical Damage. So if your build relies on Physical Damage, there is no reason to change it.
IGN: Golem_Antsy, Harvest
"
Sheriff_K wrote:
Oak's bonus is supposedly a 1.18x More Multiplier to Physical Damage

only in case you have no other phys (or other related) damage increases. Otherwise it just stacks with other increases
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
"
Ludvator wrote:
"
Sheriff_K wrote:
Oak's bonus is supposedly a 1.18x More Multiplier to Physical Damage

only in case you have no other phys (or other related) damage increases. Otherwise it just stacks with other increases

I was told that even though that's how it should behave based on its wording, that that isn't actually the case..

And I'm pretty sure I tested it out before, but my memory is horrible so I don't really remember. I'll have to test it when I get home. :S

Regardless, 18% Phys is a lot compared to the Aspd Reward, even if it isn't a non-additive Multiplier, if we base it on the average budget of Passive nodes..
IGN: Golem_Antsy, Harvest
Last edited by Sheriff_K on Apr 25, 2014, 11:20:28 AM
I think its just "increased". "More" would be too strong and not in line with other bandit rewards

Depends.. If you have 200% increased phys damage and no attack speed bonuses, you get 6% more damage from Oak and 8% more from Kraytin. There are also other factors like Crit per sec or mana costs that make decisions harder, but I would not say that Oaks reward is always better for phys build
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Last edited by Ludvator on Apr 25, 2014, 11:32:51 AM
It all depends of your existing stats and your build. If you have low attack speed and lots of %damage from talents then attack speed would give you big bonus but if you have lots of attack speed but not much %physical damage then the Oaks bonus would be powerful. Mixing up steadily both Attack speed and %physical damage awards most dps.

Of course there are other factors such as attack speed increasing your mana consumption while added damage does not etc.

Edit. Yeah exactly same what person above me said.
Last edited by Atech3000 on Apr 25, 2014, 1:05:11 PM
"
Sheriff_K wrote:
Oak's bonus is supposedly a 1.18x More Multiplier to Physical Damage. So if your build relies on Physical Damage, there is no reason to change it.

Nope - Oak's bonus is 18% Increased Physical Damage, exactly the same kind of bonus as you get on a Rustic Sash. It stacks additively with other sources of increased damage.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info