Eternal orb failure - need new orb

Summary:

preservation orb
- works like eternal orb except it only saves the sockets, links and socket colors
- drop rate should be like an alch or chaos
- recommended to have a vendor recipe so it can be obtained at will

Reasons below:

When the eternal orb was created, one of the main goals was to foster crafting. One issue with crafting was that during the rng of crafting, your item may be in an unusable state (bad sockets, links or colors). Eternal orbs was a way to restore your item to a state you can use util you can resume crafting.

To this end, the eternal orb has been a complete failure. It is too rare and expensive to meet this goal and not only that, it preserved all stats of an item, not just sockets, links and colors. This enabled players to craft the perfect item. This may be bad or good but if GGG wanted to extend the game for as long as possible, they sure took a step in the wrong direction. In the end, they just created an orb for the rich and powerful to get even more rich and powerful.

I suggest a new orb that would fulfil the original crafting goal, the "preservation orb" (or whatever you want to call it). This orb should only preserve the sockets, links and color of an item only, and drop more often like the alch or chaos. Heck, make it a vendor recipe with a cost equivalent to around 2 chaos.
Last edited by Dregos on Apr 21, 2014, 8:12:24 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Hmmm, only 38 views and no input. :( This is the reason why most people like to post in General. Hopefully GGG doesn't neglect this form because I feel this gem is really needed and address a core concern of "crafting".
Input is not always a good thing. Especially in cases where the responders may have a vested interest in the status quo. On the other hand, GGG is more likely to see your suggestion here, right?
IGN Mekronid
I'm pretty sure when everyone heard of an orb coming out that would allow you to revert changes you made on an item, the community at large said "It better be rare, or it'll just make it easier to craft perfect items."

Lo and behold, they were right. It's an orb that lets you undo major changes, generally exalts. As such, it's extremely rare. The crafting in this game is gambling/RNG based. Asking for a cheap orb that will make it less so isn't really in line with the GGG thinking in this case. As someone who often crafts my own CI gear, I know the annoyance of it. But I also accept it and have made good items in the past.

As for preserving links/colors... Why? The current system for that works as is. What you're essentially wanting is an orb that lets you attempt to 6L your armor from its 5L state, and return it to 5L after 600 fusings burned. While I understand that desire, getting a backup armor to use instead is a plenty viable option. I wouldn't be turned off by an orb that does this, but I won't root for its installment either. To me, it sounds like a way to simply linking an item without putting in the risk usually inherited from the attempt.
"
Xikorut wrote:
The crafting in this game is gambling/RNG based. Asking for a cheap orb that will make it less so isn't really in line with the GGG thinking in this case.

How will having such an orb make crafting any less random? It merely solves the issue of messing up your equipment or needing a second set (an improvement in my book) and makes "crafting" more attractive versus the trading dominant economy it is now (another improvement). This was one of the reasons for the creation of the eternal orb.

"
Xikorut wrote:
To me, it sounds like a way to simply linking an item without putting in the risk usually inherited from the attempt.

The risk is in wasting the chaos/exalt when you don't get a good roll. Shouldn't that be enough?

In my younger days of POE, I quit for two weeks after spending all my currency to 5/6L and failing. I'm sure plenty have quit the game over this. Having the suggested orb will help this scenario.

There's a quote from someone's sig that went something like:

"I tried to 6L once, now I'm playing Dwarf Fortress."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info