Request to have Lightning Thorns mobs in ALL maps

For a while there I was getting upset every time there were Lightning Thorns mobs in a map (map, not area), because it effectively renders my, and any genuine high rate of attack/projectile build, useless.

Every time I saw these mobs, I could make the choice if I would suck it up and take the xp knocks back to zero and try not waste my valuable map, or forfeit the map (add sulk or not). I have however come to realise the problem is not that Lightning Thorns mobs often spawn in maps, but rather that they don't always spawn in maps. It turns out it is in fact the maps that don't spawn these mobs that is creating a false sense of hope that I might actually enjoy running maps occasionally, where as if these mobs were in ALL maps, I know I can simply retire this build completely.

While many other cleverly designed mobs/attacks/features/auras/etc. challenges the player to plan carefully when designing a build, Lightning Thorns simply excludes a selection of builds punitively.

Other than that, spectacular game, keep up the great work!

(If you're juvenile, this is your cue for 'cry moar' and or equivalent 'lel' comments)
Last edited by Sarge_101 on Apr 21, 2014, 11:12:20 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Get topaz flask, problem solved.
alt art shop view-thread/1195695
t.me/jstqw for contact
"
jstq wrote:

That's one method. Another is having 75% lightning resistance.
"
Natharias wrote:
"
jstq wrote:

lel /endthread

Yeah, I don't see this as a useful improvement to the game. Map modes are designed for unique gameplay with twists and turns whether it allows all builds to play it or others to struggle in them. Problem with Thorns? As stated before, just get a flask or improve your light res. The game does not need to be changed to this extent.
"
TMHChaser wrote:
"
Natharias wrote:
"
jstq wrote:

lel /endthread

Yeah, my bad I guess, for assuming that it would be obvious that I am already doing both... and still insta-death.

"
TMHChaser wrote:

Yeah, I don't see this as a useful improvement to the game. Map modes are designed for unique gameplay with twists and turns whether it allows all builds to play it or others to struggle in them. Problem with Thorns? As stated before, just get a flask or improve your light res. The game does not need to be changed to this extent.

Your sarcasm detector requires some not-so-fine tuning.

lel /facepalm
i get the feel OP started a summoner build with double spectre.
"
Sarge_101 wrote:

Yeah, my bad I guess, for assuming that it would be obvious that I am already doing both... and still insta-death.

Dude, your damage is too damn high.
You need to lower your aggro.
"
agbudar wrote:

If he was a summoner, he could get away with -60% on all of his resistances and would not have made this thread.
I appreciate your sense of humor even if it is a bit snide. :P
"
PitzerMike wrote:
"
Sarge_101 wrote:

Dude, your damage is too damn high.
You need to lower your aggro.

Well, this is another 'problem' but not in the case of Lightning Thorns (LT). LT doesn't care about your damage, it cares about the amount of times you hit an LT target.

Ele reflect is where challenges come in with very high DPS, but it is challenging and not build destroying... I am more than happy to accept that, in fact I enjoy it.

"
Natharias wrote:
"
agbudar wrote:

If he was a summoner, he could get away with -60% on all of his resistances and would not have made this thread.

Indeed, not a summoner. CoC on 6L chest (Tabula Rasa until I can afford something better): Barrage (lvl1 gem, CoC enabler) + CoC + Chain + GMP + Fireball + Arctic Breath (swap Arc in for +75% fire/cold res mob maps). Dual wield wands for optimal crit chance.

With LT doing damage per hit, you should now clearly see my dilemma.

I need to make it absolutely clear that I understand very well that I have options and I am pursuing those (I am setting up an offhand config with 1 wand and Saffels and swap out Clarity for Purity of Lightning) for maps with LT mobs. The problem that I have is that anything I need to do to try and not insta-RIP by LT will effectively 'disable' my build, i.e. I can not run a dual wander CoC purely because of LT alone.

I need to also make clear that my gripe with LT is that it is OP, not that it exists. If it made my build really challenging I would be absolutely happy with that, it would mean that I can use a build that is a possibility by game design, but that it would be very challenging against some mobs... all builds are (and should be, no face-rolling) like that. But getting insta-killed by one mob type is not OK imho and if it was nerfed to change to very challenging, that would be perfect.
Last edited by Sarge_101 on Apr 23, 2014, 2:53:44 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info