ECoMS mace/shield marauder (WIP)

This build is a work in progress. I've theorycrafted this, but I'm not a particularly experienced player. I'm also working on a tiny budget.

This is a budget tank build. You offer yourself as a meatshield, your group offers the dps. With resolute techniques and 2 'wasted' gem slots on your main attack, you'll never be the heavy dps. It's ok! You'll survive, and you'll help your group survive, and you'll get loot because you lived through everything!

Build
Spoiler
http://poebuilder.com/#character/AAAAAgEAAecCcQSzBS0OPBLhFE0U9hmFGjIaOBpVGmwdFCSqJy8oxS3SMok0jjboNuk6UjrYPfxBP0KOROdHfkw1UWBR5lPfVElXDVfiWD1YY1jbWfNfP2BLYSFko2VNZp5r2XB9cql07Xrve4x82YErgziE2YTvhjuLT4zPkFWQdJHOlIeYCpuDnsWfPp_LoLSiAKLqpKynhKgYqZWrxayqrK-0L7T5tqS77byfwBrBBMOGxtjM296W3sHfsuJD42rjn-RR5K3nkeeu7DjvDu988B_yL_MG877z3fZI9zL60vuq

I wouldn't suggest grabbing the 3 nodes for Steel Skin. For 2 points you can spec out of weapon elemental damage and into the 4 armor/ES nodes giving you 44% armor, 34% energy shield and 8 elemental resists.

There's 2 places where you can spend 4 points each for another 4% block chance. Grabbing both costs 8 points for 8% more block. Going from 33% to 41% blocks is probably a really big deal. Lvl 100 build might look something like:
http://poebuilder.com/#character/AAAAAgEAAecEswUtBjkM9w48EuEUTRT2GYUaMho4GlUabB0UJKonLyjFLdIyiTSONug26TpSOtg9_EE_Qo5E50d-TDVRYFHmU99USVcNV-JYPVhjWNtZ818_YEthIWSjZU1mnmvZb4RwfXKpdO15wHrve4x82YErgziE2YTvhjuLT4zPkFWQdJHOlIeYCpuDnsWfPp_LoLSiAKLqpKynhKgYqZWsqqyvr2y0L7T5tqS77byfwBrBBMOGxYrG2Mzb3pbewd-y4kPjauOf5FHkreeR567p1ew47tnvDu988B_yL_MG877z3fZI9zL60vuq

Links
Spoiler

(RRG) 3L - Leap Slam – Faster Attacks –Enduring Cry
(RRG) 3L Immortal Call – Increased Duration - Blood Rage
(RRRB) 4L Enduring Cry- CWDT-Molten Shell- Vulnerability
(RRBG) 4L - Hatred-Determination-Tempest Shield-Reduced Mana Cost
(RRRR) 4L - Heavy Strike –Multistrike- Added Fire Damage - Melee Physical Damage
(RRRRRB) 4-6L: Ground Slam –– Multistrike – Endurance Charge on Stun – Melee Phys Dmg - (5L) Stun - (6L) Concentrated Effect
You can't run tempest shield and both auras together. Keep tempest shield up and choose either hatred or determination depending on what you need. In most groups you'll probably have hatred from someone else.

Bandits
Spoiler
Help Oak x3

Gear
Spoiler

Helm – rare
Chest - rare
Gloves - rare
Boots - rare or rainbowstride
Belt – wurm’s molt then rare
Rings – rare
Ammy – carnage heart then maybe stone of lazhwar
Weapon – rare 1h mace with phys dmg, %dmg, atk speed, preferably –enemy stun threshold/leech
Shield – crest of perandus, then Lioneye’s Remorse, then Aegis Aurora (lol)

This build doesn't rely on many uniques. Be wary of uniques, because most offer crap in the way of resists. The more uniques you have, the fewer slots you'll be able to designate toward your resists, and therefore the more expensive the gear you'll need to be effective.

One slot that's worth running a unique is the amulet slot. Carnage Heart offers some much needed life leech and much needed int/dex. When you can run blood rage constantly and your dps is high enough that your leech is capped without it, you can swap out the carnage heart for a stone of lazhwar.

When searching for weapons, look for 1h maces under your buyout price, then sort by physical damage. You want the hardest hits possible to maximize your stun chance.

Stack life and resists on your gear, and don't forget chaos resist. Pure armor gear when possible. A high armor lioneye's remorse will provide ~250-300 hp, 70% block with passives/tempest shield, and roughly 5000 armor without determination and over 7500 with determination. A nearly perfect one can be picked up for less than one exalt. Aegis Aurora doesn't need massive amounts of ES to be awesome, so if you can afford it, go for it!

Wurm's Molt is a good choice for some easy mana leech, but its stats really suck otherwise. If you can pick up some leech on good resist gloves or rings, you can drop wurm's molt for a big boost to hp/resists at an affordable price.

Defensively, you have big armor, really high block, high resists, 7 endurance charges pretty much all the time, immortal call, and fairly high life. Your leech is augmented by blood rage, which you'll out-regen. Enduring cry is for targets you can't reliably stun and to taunt for your group. You get 134% reduced enemy stun threshold from passives and gems on your ground slam, meaning you'll keep your endurance charges up if you take off more than 0.75% of a target's health per hit. I'm not sure how the stun chance improvement from vulnerability works...

Leveling
Spoiler
The blood magic node makes leveling easier and lets you grab unwavering stance earlier. You should also consider using a heavy 2h mace like Geofri's Baptism. Once you've got a ~250 pdps 1h mace, you can make the switch out of the blood magic passive. I went for amplify asap, and now I'm heading down to the duelist endurance charge, unwavering stance, and stun mastery. Looking back on it, I probably should have gone for the other areas before amplify.

Other than warrior's blood, the other life regen nodes are just sort of quality of life choices for blood rage, so you don't need any of them until you start using blood rage.

Be careful not to over-level faster attacks, vulnerability, hatred, tempest shield or concentrated effect. You might as well leave them at lvl 1 until you have an idea what your endgame gear will look like.

49 points:
http://poebuilder.com/#character/AAAAAgEADjwUcRT2GjgnLy3SOtg9_EE_ROdR5lRJVw1YY1nzXz9qHmvZcql82YY7jM-QVZHOnz6fy6Ssp4SoGKyqtC-77byfwBrBBMbY0iHewd-_45_kreoY7DjvDvIv9kj3Mve--Os=

66 points:
http://poebuilder.com/#character/AAAAAgEAAecOPBLhFHEU9ho4GlUnLy3SNI426DpSOtg9_EE_Qo5E51HmVElXDVg9WGNZ818_YSFko2oea9lyqXzZgSuGO4zPkFWRzpSHmAqexZ8-n8ui6qSsp4SoGKyqtC-2pLvtvJ_AGsEExtjSId6W3sHfst-_4kPjn-St7DjvDvIv9kj3Mve-

92 points:
http://poebuilder.com/#character/AAAAAgEAAecOPBLhFPYZhRoyGjgaVRpsHRQkqicvKMUt0jSONug26TpSOtg9_EE_Qo5E50w1UWBR5lPfVElXDVg9WGNZ818_YSFko2aea9lwfXKpdO182YErhO-GO4tPjM-QVZB0kc6Uh5gKm4OexZ8-n8ugtKLqpKynhKgYqZWsqqyvtC-2pLvtvJ_AGsEEw4bG2Mzb3pbewd-y4kPjauOf5FHkreeR567sOO8O8i_zBvO-8932SPcy-tL7qg==
Last edited by jbmcarth on Apr 25, 2014, 10:31:43 AM
reserved
Small update and bump. I'm level 62 now with a little over 2k life and 2.5k groundslam dps. My gear is basically crap, but I'll be updating it soon. I've picked up all of the templar area block nodes, so I'll spend the next 12 levels grabbing most of the remaining hp and regen nodes before continuing to build dps. Those hp nodes alone will boost my life to ~2.8k, so with some very cheap upgrades I should hit ~3.5k hp fairly easily.

I've had zero problems soloing merciless even with ~50 lightning res. I just beat piety last night without trouble. My weapon cost me exactly 1 chaos =D.

Here's the gear:

I'll be replacing the shield, belt, gloves, boots, and one ring after I can equip lioneye's remorse. Goals will be maintaining mana leech on a new ring, capping elemental resists and raising chaos res high enough for life regen > blood rage (~ -12%), and improving my life base.

Overall, I'm very happy with how this build is shaping up. Block + 7 end charges + mostly stun-locked mobs makes me very tanky, and I've spent well less than half an exalt on gear so far, mostly just to get the sockets I want.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info