Consistent high latency (ISP traffic shaping?)

Hi all.

I am consistently getting high ping while in Path of Exile. Typically 250ms to 500ms. I am using a wired connection and other computer on my local network have the same issue. Non-PoE games and services have a latency that is nothing out of the usual.

Pingtest.net gives me 30ms to their Frankfurt server (400 miles)

WinMTR record to Path of Exile Game Server (EU - 37.58.67.215 ):
http://i.imgur.com/PMqpUWA.png
Spoiler

Am I correct in thinking this is a problem with my ISP? Is there anything I can do?

Many Thanks,

Mark
Last edited by MajorKong on Apr 20, 2014, 5:31:40 PM
Yes you are correct. The issue is likely between the 2nd and 3rd hop.
^ Yeah, does looks like it.

The problem is persisting. Anyone know if there is anything I can do to try and alleviate the problem?

I did phoned my ISP today and they said it had nothing to do with traffic shaping policy. Virgin Media do say a lot of things though...
"
MajorKong wrote:
^ Yeah, does looks like it.

The problem is persisting. Anyone know if there is anything I can do to try and alleviate the problem?

I did phoned my ISP today and they said it had nothing to do with traffic shaping policy. Virgin Media do say a lot of things though...

Only thing you can do is contact the ISP and provide them a copy of the trace for their reference so they can look at the problem and possibly resolve it.

I had a similar issue a while back and the ISP kept saying there was nothing wrong. After providing them multiple traces, their story changed and they were able to resolve it fairly quickly after that.

ISPs can be difficult to deal with, and you have to have some luck to get the information to the right person who actually wants to help you.

Good luck.
Virginmedia(assuming you are in the UK) don't throttle bandwidth for the most part, the only time it happens is when you go over their fair use limit which is gigs of data over a few hours...you then get hit with 5 hours of minimum connection speeds.

It's most likely a fault somewhere in the connection.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Thanks for the advice. Shouldn't be the FUP since I get the same issue even when I haven't used the internet. Phoned them again & sent them the technical details.

Apparently the line is fine and nothing else they can do. Contact us up for renewal soon so I'll just try my luck with a new ISP.
Last edited by MajorKong on Apr 26, 2014, 8:30:28 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info