Saving your frakking settings!

Here is what worked for me: Simply remove the Path of Exile folder from My Documents (entire Users folder was attribute Read Only) put it somewhere else. Hope that helps anyone that shared that annoying problem
"
Here is what worked for me: Simply remove the Path of Exile folder from My Documents (entire Users folder was attribute Read Only) put it somewhere else. Hope that helps anyone that shared that annoying problem

Uhh, what?

Settings are "saved" automatically... they are in the production_Config.ini file located in the My Games folder in your Documents folder. You CAN save the whole folder if you want to, but you don't need to. As long as production_Config.ini is not marked as "read-only" and you have permissions to access it, it shouldn't have any problems.

Also keep in mind that looking at "folder permissions" doesn't show the proper settings for "read-only". If you look at pretty much ANY folder, it will show as "read-only" even though it isn't necessarily. If you turn it off then look at the properties again, it will show up as enabled again. This is a byproduct of windows, and isn't actually necessarily "read-only". You can't really mark folders as read-only.. only the files in them.
I couldn't save my settings. The settings would reset every time I quit the game. I read quite a few other people had the same problem and no the settings doesn't save automatically. You have to press apply settings and then save. You can apply a read only attribute to all files within a folder so I don't know what you mean by that you can mark folders as read only.

Anyway it might had have nothing to do with the read only attribute, but still this worked for me. I posted it because I couldn't find it listed among common technical issue.
I meant that once you "Save" the settings in the game, they are saved to the file unless the file is marked as read-only. If you're having an issue saving your settings, then either the file is marked as read-only, or you are using a network share or roaming profile.

As for the folder being marked read-only.. when you mark the folder as read-only, you're not marking the FOLDER as read-only, but you're marking all the files within it. You cannot mark FOLDERS as read-only (like you can in other operating systems). Windows just has a stupid dialog that always shows all folders as read-only even when they aren't...

I'm just saying you can't trust the "folder properties" to determine if a folder is marked as read-only on windows.... because it doesn't work.
Well, to be fair, you can also un-read-only all the files in that folder by unchecking the little box. If it's gray you will need to click it twice, once to activate read-only on every file, then a second time to un-read-only.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info