Need help with Staff Templar

Hello, so my templar is currently lvl 57 and I reached merciless difficulty albeit I do must say that it is very challenging. As soon as I see some special "creep" I'm running away like a a 45 kilo wimp from a profession boxer or smth. in that manner.

Here\s my passive skill tree
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUABLMPVBRNFvkZLhmFGjgabCSLJKon7SkHMokzQDbpOtg9D0N5RHJFR0WOSi5N2FSRV-JjC2aeZqB3YnflfLt99YRjhMSIOIp0jHaQVZMHlwGdiqIAp4Snpalor3O1BLdyuUO9OcAaxBXE9sWKyWfVi9lh42rkIuTx7DjtRPNx89360vuL

So a little explanation behind that. I wanted to build a staff Templar with armor and as I went on I noticed that Glacial hammer does nice damage against bosses and sweep works with crowd so that was my main focus.

My main skills are

1. Glacial hammer - faster attack -Added Fire Damage- Melee Physical Damage (DPS 3-4k)
2. Sweep- Life Gain on Hit- Melee Physical Damage- faster attack (DPS 1-2K)

From Auras I'm running Determination /// Purity of Elements *one at a time because my mana reduction gem is not leveled enough as of yet.

Life: 1271
Shield: 95

Armor: 1510 (without auras) 2160 (with)

Resistance: (in merciless, without auras) /// (with)

Fire 2% /// 19%
Cold 12% /// 29%
Lightning 4% /// 21%
Chaos -34% /// -34%

My gear sucks so there's no point posting it here (nor would i actually know how to)

So I know that my resistances and life are low so I'm working my way towards the elemental resistances in the skill tree but I'm not sure how to deal with the life problem. I'm doing ok dam. for now to creeps but the char is quite squishy so any help regarding how to improve this guy or if I should dump him in general would be appreciated. :)

Thank you in advance.
Personally, I feel the points spent in catalyze are better spent elsewhere, like on staff damage and accuracy.

Here is the build Im working toward, The build has 115/120 points allocated so you spend 3 and run up to elemental adaptation for the +3% resist.
(yes, I use poebuilder.)
Spoiler
http://poebuilder.com/#character/AAAAAgUAAecEswsoDjwPVBRNFPYXLxkuGjgaVRvIHRQkiykHKaUqODNANDE0jja6Nug6UjrYPQ9CjkMxQ2NDeURyRY5KLk3YTipUkVW1VdZXDViuWK9Y9VtZXcZeE16fYG1hIWMLZKNk52aeZqBr2W6XcU14DXxLfLuApIFvgziExITvhjuKdIx2j0aQVZMHlPuXAZrPm6GdgJ3EnjyezZ-0n8uiAKeEp6WpaKlur3O1BLZBtzG3crlDvTnAGsAuwQTEFcT2xYrJZ9DQ0TXSIdSP1YvZYdmi3fPsGew47UTynPe-99f60vuL_9M=

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info