Seniar's Perma Freeze build guide

Hello there, my name is Seniar and i have a freeze fetish. I have made atleast one build with every cold spell seeking the best freeze build possible. After alot of people asked me for my build i decided to make a build guide. It's my first guide ever and english isn't my native language so be nice ;)

Why freeze mine is the best freeze skill overall
Spoiler
Let's take a look at the other options for freezing stuff.
Best single target freeze skill: Ice spear with alot of crit multi: It's basically a guaranteed freeze since it nearly always crits but ele reflect is a problem and you simply can't freeze a huge aoe because the initial ice shot explosion is so small.

Best aoe freeze skill: Cold Snap or freeze mine pretty hard to call a winner here.Cold snap has the inbuild freeze duration but is totally unreliable because it does only have a fairy low chance to freez while freeze mine has 100% chance. I think it's personal preference but i definately prefer consistency in this case anyways.

Why freeze mine is awesome:
1. Monsters hit by freeze mine lose cold res which results in your second freeze mine to have a longer duration.
2. You can use mine nodes so scale its damage which is awesome.
3. It freezes enemies as though dealing x% more Damage which is a whopping 390% at level 20 gem. This is the real deal, it allowes you to even permafreeze some uniques without anything to prolirate from. Small sidenote: With the recent nerfs to the exiles max hp you can permafreeze all of them without proliferating the freeze now, pretty awesome :)

Pros
Spoiler
Permafreeze everything nearly screen wide except atziri (can't be frozen).
Do any map mod you want except no regen because what's froze can't hit you right?
Shattering monsters has some nice pros:
They can't be revived.
They can't be comsumed by bosses that use corpses to heal themselves with them.
Porcupine Goliath don't shoot spikes when they die ( those weird looking things in the imperial gardens).
Partys want you because they can brainafk while mapping and dont have to reroll maps they normally wouldn't do.
This is kind of obvious but any boss becomes a joke.

Cons
Spoiler
You barely do any damage.
Your only form of life gain is flasks.
Some builds want corpses to prolierate their ignite e.g. Burning disscharger or Explosiv arrow users.
In Rare cases(only ever happend once to me) the blue pack that is always with the boss and that you need to proliferate your freeze from to the high ele resits/cold resist or high life bosses was miles away from it for some reason and you might die trying to lure them to the boss.

How I play the build:
Spoiler
You have only 2 purposes: Being and CC machine and a tank;
The way I play it is im always the first to enter the room, use freeze mines once to freeze the enemies for a few secs, then i cast ele weakness and temp chains and cast freeze mine once again (freeze mine lowers the cold res of the enemies it hits so with that debuff and the doublecurses the second freeze lasts way longer). You will notice that the double curse isn't necessary for any whites and most blues but it makes you freeze much longer anyways so you don't have to use freeze mine as frequently. After a while you will also know which monsters have alot of cold res and will know when to curse or not. For Bosses you always want a non unique for proliferate the freeze from. It isn't always needed but you don't wanna take any chances. It is obviously way easier with premade partys who already know that, some public partys adapt to it immediatly some need a while to understand or don't understand at all and then die at the double unique palace dom with -max and dmg mods. It is much more enjoyable to play this build with a few friends who know whats up but as i said most partys get it quite fast.

Keystones
Spoiler
Edlrich Battery: Impossible to make any mine or trap build without it due to their natural high mana cost. Also enables you to use another keystone.

Mind over Matter: This is where most of our tankiness comes from, it allows you to tank that initial hit from the monsters/bosses before you can freeze them.

Iron Reflexes: Usually goes hand in hand with EB MoM builds and not difference here. Because of your stats and links you mostly want EV/ES gear anways.

Auras, Buffs and Mobility
Spoiler
Grace: Not much to say here you want it because you have iron reflexes and it greatly increases your evasion which converts to armor.

Clarity: You want it because it gives you mana regen.

Arctic armor: Works great with EB and gives you additional tankiness and a but of movement speed. Also leaves a trail behind you so your party knows where your going next since you want to be leading (yes this actually is a kind of big deal).

You might wonder why i dont use Discpline even though it works greatly with EB.
Lets take a look at what it normally does for EB builds and why it's not needed in this build:
It gives alot of energy shield which gets converted into mana which leaves you with more reserved mana but a huge increases in mana regen which lets you run a much higher level arctic armor and spam skills more frequently. You dont need any of those two pros. Arctic amor doesn't really do much in this build at all since it's flat reduction and great against consistent damage but you only need to survive the enemys first hit which is what we use MoM for. And while more mana regen is great it's not needed; While freeze mines mana cost is fairly high it's by far not the highest, i can still permafreeze anything in half regen maps.

Mobility: Lightning warp. Pretty much the only choice here. Great to permafreeze more than only your screen in case you nooby party decies to split a bit. Also until you have high lvled and quality inc aoe you may not be able to freeze literally everything thats on your screen altho it's still pretty close to that. So if there's a pack where you can see it even biggers than your screen, go to the closest monsters, put your freeze mine down as normal, detonate it then lightning warp to the frozen monster that the furthest away from you so you will still prolif the freeze the to first monsters you initially froze but also the rest of the pack that was off screen before.

Gear
Spoiler
There is only 1 unique that is kind of required and that is Atziri's. Once you have a 5l Cloak of Defiance (not mandatory) you don't need it anymore and can use any amulet you like. For defensive stuff you just want es/ev stuff for the most part and maybe 1 ar/es part of a cwdt setup. On your wand your looking for Spell damage, cold damage and mana or mana regen.

My current gear:

Passive tree explination
Spoiler
You can either start from witch or shadow it's personal preference, shadow provides 2 juicy spell dmg nodes at the start and overall less nodes to get out of the starting area: you can get saboteur and the life nodes close to it to archieve a bit more dmg and freez duration but less life, the freeze duration is definately long enough tho and you need life to survive burst so i prefered the mana/mana regen nodes and the awesome flask nodes in the witch starting area (they're op but psshh dont want them to get nerfed).
To scale your freeze duration you want to pick up the 2 freez duration nodes and efficient elemental, cold and mine nodes. Clever Conctrucation and volatile mines are mantatory so you can freeze as fast as possible once you're in range.
You can switch to freeze mine when you're around lvl 65 from whatever skill you lvled with ( for me it was searing bond + flameblast)

The passive trees:

Witch
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMAVysHY3NTwFQQdHkDDlwI9DGIRX5tGS0fwfOOPI-moqOCHhdUUlN_xkwt2wsigZeVPV8c3CepoEMXUJf0kyfxdi1HWm0RwgD9Va60DH6w3FdQQiQ8ndkUsCycRnFbux6UjDanXCNfOjCsmIMJcFGsP1VLAv7lGUlROVJOum-e2FQmld-EtDi8N-Trykr79U5tRisZhsM6WAdOm6xHVi3rLKx_Kk0VICzpg9vdDfxLW6_8xc5xTioY22egbBYppXTxh3aFMkp97BiP-kk7Nnu0o9vnMhizA2-8UzE=

Shadow
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYA3nfVT_v1tDjlGYw2VUsmlQL-34RQQqIuDkjjhO4Vt3WdqmKs1p0tRxzc8XaTJ9xXHpSsP7QMRnGDCW-eykoZhkYrTpvDOlYtrH-sR-ssKk0VIIPb_EvOcWwWLOndDfzFZ6CHdkp9W69OKimlGNt08YUyf8aio8Hzgh7bCyepWm0kPKdcSVHsGI_6STs2e7SjbRktH4-mUlM9X5eVl_RVriycTC0XUAD9FLA6MDlSvDdObVgHrJhOuuTroEMRwp3ZI19-sFu7cFHYVNvnMhizA2-8UzGOPBdUIoE=

Lowlvl tree (88 points used)
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMAVysHY3NTwFR5AzGICPQQdA5cRX5tGcHzgh7bC0wtF1AA_RSwOjA5Urw3Tm1YB6yYTrrk66BDEcKd2SNfoqN_xhzckyd-sFu7cFHYVLQMRnGDCW-eykpGK06bwzpWLax_GYasR-ssKk0VIIPb_EvOcWwWLOndDVuvTioppRjbdPGFMvzFZ6CHdkp9J6labSQ8p1xJUS1HUEKMNuUZtDj79VVLJpXcVx6UrD8=

Videos
Spoiler
coming soon

Last edited by endoreggaton on Apr 20, 2014, 3:51:22 AM
I've played with this guy and his perma-freeze character is a beast: You just walk through maps and kill a bunch of frozen statues, including bosses (as long as there are enemies aroudn to proliferate from).

A very nice build to have in your party. (:

Nice guide. Amazing supportive build, makes mapping super easy so it's great for leveling, though takes a bit of fun away (since you're fighting statues after all ;]). Probably second build, next to mf, to be taken to parties free-of-charge ;].
Kick-ass Build!! Thanks a lot for sharing! :)

Crusifizer
CI >> Life
Last edited by sonafab on Apr 19, 2014, 7:12:26 AM
Build is very cool. We test it on Dominus palace - perma freeze ;).
Thx mate for your good job.

Greetings
Played with the dude, he freezes everything. EVERYTHING.

Awesome build, congrats.
yea awesome...awesome boring, if your enemies can't even do a single shit against you
where the hell is the fun in there, please?

nevermind..glad some of you guys enjoy this

..but I wouldn't.
Buying lvl 75 Plateau Maps - PM Amount + Price :)
Would using a Kaom's Heart/Belly of the Beast & Taryn's Shiver work as well? You'd be even more tanky and could use the staff for your 5/6L. You'd also be able to provide a bit more support for your team because of the "Enemies Frozen by you take 20% increased Damage" on Taryn's Shiver.
Last edited by Ceveth on Apr 19, 2014, 3:13:57 PM
"
Ceveth wrote:
Would using a Kaom's Heart/Belly of the Beast & Taryn's Shiver work as well? You'd be even more tanky and could use the staff for your 5/6L. You'd also be able to provide a bit more support for your team because of the "Enemies Frozen by you take 20% increased Damage" on Taryn's Shiver.

I don't see why not, but that's an extra 40 ex or so, AT LEAST, no?
[3.22] 💀The Grim Reaper💀 - Hexblast Poison Mines Assassin
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3347191

[3.22] ❄️⚡CantripN's Hadoken! - Lightning Conduit / Crackling Lance / Arc Permafreeze⚡❄️
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3229590
"
CantripN wrote:
"
Ceveth wrote:

I don't see why not, but that's an extra 40 ex or so, AT LEAST, no?

Taryn's Shiver & Belly of the Beast are very cheap uniques. Obviously most people looking for build guides more than likely do not have access to a Kaom's Heart, but it's always good to have a goal.

I was more looking to whether the OP thought that the additional links were needed for this build or not. As well as if he thought the lack of a shield would cause substantial survivability problems.
Last edited by Ceveth on Apr 19, 2014, 4:04:15 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info