Confused noob bombarded from all sides lol

So I started to play and looked for a build and found this

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/701496

People on the path of exile IRC say its shit, will die all over the place at high levels and the like then link to builds they invent on the spot for me that I have no idea if they are gunna be ok.

Apparently the people on IRC say you can't use auras with blood magic.

Also apparently you need specific levels of damage and defense or you won't survive and only a very few builds will actually give that.

Seems to me either people don't know what they are talking about and alot more than they say must be at least viable or the game is extremely poorly designed having so many options that are totally useless. Hell if people are to be believed there are 0 viable builds because they all suck according to someone the moment I say i'm using it.

I'm building characters getting them to 25 and 35 then being told I need to reroll cause I botched it up by following a guide linked to in the builds sticky and can't respec cause game doesn't allow full respecs.

Not even finished act 3 on normal once my highest character is 35 and only played 5 days and i'm already so totally overwhelmed idk if games worth playing anymore.
Hi there.
As an advice, avoid cookie cutters. Some of them require specific items to work, are gear dependent, are complete noobtraps, or glass cannon not viable lategame, like the one you've posted, etc. It's not they are bad, it's they may not fit you, or you'll lack the items to execute.

Make a whatever build of your own and play it as long, as it's possible. You'll fuck it up for sure, as all of us did with their first char. While playing you will gather some items and currencies to improve leveling process for other chars. You will learn more about game mechanics while playing, as well.
This game is rather complicated, is's true. Read the forum and poe wiki, if you have any specific questions people will help you with advice.

This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
I agree with the previous post. Play the game and accept the fact you're going to make mistakes. The thing is learn from them and disregard the negativity you will encounter here. Some people are really cool and some are poster children for forced sterilizations. A lot of people say you can't play solo and succeed but there are a lot of people who do. Play and figure things out for yourself.

My advice on following builds is: If you're going to try to follow a build though, my advice is don't try to follow it exactly. As you're doing it alter it to meet you needs as you play. For example, if a build says to use blood magic and you keep dying then don't use blood magic until you have the life pool to support it. You have to know when to put points in something and when not to. Base what you do on your current gear, just try to be close to the areas you need to go into so you don't have to use a lot of respec points later on.

This is my guide if you play as a solo, self-found player at a slow and grinding pace like I do
Newbie Guide to Improving your gear
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/646392

Arguing on the Internet: What's the point when you can't punch them in the face when they really piss you off?
Last edited by fazlez1 on Apr 18, 2014, 5:51:26 PM
Just play your own game.

Read up a little {a lot} more on game mechanics. The wiki is pretty accurate and well maintained, for the most part.

Builds are useful to identify certain skill/support/item synergies, but as already mentioned, you don't need to adhere strictly to what is stated. I find I never follow builds because I end up finding items that take me in another direction, and I tend to play with what I get (i.e. 'self-found').

Lastly, don't get discouraged if progression starts to taper off around end of cruel/beginning of merciless [~50] for your first few characters. After you understand most of the mechanics, you'll push the plateau up to Act 3 merciless/early maps. It was only after a ran quite a few characters with different skill sets up to that level [~60] did it really start to click, and I began to understand how to build characters specifically for how I enjoy playing the game.
"We were going to monitor the situation but it was in the wrong aspect ratio."
Last edited by Garr0t on Apr 18, 2014, 5:41:36 PM
"
torturo wrote:
Hi there.
As an advice, avoid cookie cutters. Some of them require specific items to work, are gear dependent, are complete noobtraps, or glass cannon not viable lategame, like the one you've posted, etc. It's not they are bad, it's they may not fit you, or you'll lack the items to execute.

Make a whatever build of your own and play it as long, as it's possible. You'll fuck it up for sure, as all of us did with their first char. While playing you will gather some items and currencies to improve leveling process for other chars. You will learn more about game mechanics while playing, as well.
This game is rather complicated, is's true. Read the forum and poe wiki, if you have any specific questions people will help you with advice.

Well thats just it i'm loving the build I linked to the dual strike is alot of fun however I am running out of mana alot if I put too many support gems in.

http://poebuilder.com/#character/AAAAAgQAAdwB5w48FHEb-iXfNug6Ukd-Vw1Yr2SjZU1yqXgNfNmE2Ycpkc6ZK57NpBmnMKvFu-29gb6K0iH3Mg==

Thats my current passives

I would like to use the weapon he has, those wings of entropy and/or dual wield when i'm not using them. Right now i'm 27 using only multi strike and melee splash cause thats all the support gems I can sustain it seems. Frankly I suck at working out stuff for myself which is why I wanted a full blown build guide to follow. I can buy w/e items I need as I already have been buying alot since I looted quite alot of currency items so far.

I was kinda hoping for a build I can watch anime on my 2nd screen while playing :) so far I like dual strike dualist, summoners (when their minions aren't dying non stop which with those exploding things the bugs in act 3 drop isn't fun atm) and also ranger :)

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/300860

thats was the ranger build I was following then got told it was crap >_<

http://poebuilder.com/#character/AAAAAgIAAF4ILhmOG8gj9imlQzFOKlb6Wkhbr14TYSFnoGqTdO2E74d2kAqbja_rtkG-p8APzZjSTdN-1e3dDd7G6mLtg-4O73rv8PzF

thats what my ranger is at right now.
Last edited by peteed1985 on Apr 18, 2014, 5:52:37 PM
Get Mana Flows cluster, you will respec it later if going for BM. Get rid of multistrike for now, it has huge multiplier (same for splash), combined with splash you run out of mana. Faster attacks is enough. You prepared yourself for BM which you'll use quite late in game. Respec some points there and get HP/dmg nodes instead. It's too early to get RT at this lvl either. Get it later. Same for endu charges.

You lack both survivability and dmg at the moment, that's why you experience difficulties even at low levels.
Bad planning :)
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on Apr 18, 2014, 6:28:56 PM
"
torturo wrote:
Get Mana Flows cluster, you will respec it later if going for BM. Get rid of multistrike for now, it has huge multiplier (same for splash), combined with splash you run out of mana. Faster attacks is enough. You prepared yourself for BM which you'll use quite late in game. Respec some points there and get HP/dmg nodes instead. It's too early to get RT at this lvl either. Get it later. Same for endu charges.

You lack both survivability and dmg at the moment, that's why you experience difficulties even at low levels.
Bad planning :)

Well for RT I only had 5% crit chance anyway so I figured it was a good trade off?
For the first difficulty, you only need to keep a few things in mind and basically anything will work.

1.RESISTANCES!!!!!!!!

How much damage difference is there between 10% Lightning Resistance and 75% Lightning Resistance?

The character with 10% Lightning Resistance will take 3.6 times the Lightning damage as the character with 75% Lightning Resistance. No amount of Passive Tree tuning is going to make that chasm up.

2.FLASKS!!!!!!!

Flasks become weaker as you gain in levels, but in the beginning they are very strong.... and you need to keep them current. A Grand Life Flask is Level 26 and heals 380 Life. A Giant Life Flask is Level 34 and heals 600 Life.

When you enter Merciless an additional 20% penalty will be applied to resistances.

3.PRIORITIZE!!!!

Some enemies are almost harmless, and some are really, really dangerous. Figure out how dangerous each monster is to your build. Sometimes this can mean just stopping in front of one or two of them and letting them swing at you. See how much damage they do. Life barely twitches? One of the mostly harmless. Massive drop? While I guess not so harmless.
Last edited by Reynard_Jasper on Apr 18, 2014, 8:06:40 PM
we really can't tell you how to have fun at a game.

I wouldn't worry to much about raging internerds, or what build will faceroll uber atziri at lvl 90.
maybe focus in on a char that will work through the 60s, then you can build on what you learned to that point.
personally, what's fun for me is figuring out the various challenges the game presents me along the way.
There are very few builds that are godlike throughout the whole game,for example my build that i am running was absolute rubbish at lvl 40-50,it got so bad that i thought it won't work,once i hit lvl 65+ and started to get the gear that i had planned on getting it all came together.

I think the more interesting question is how will you be able to afford that gear considering you're new.
Uber high dps builds,while fragile,are very expensive.
No rest for the wicked.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info