Orbs drop chance proposal

Disclaimer:
I'm more or less a casual player having little time to play, so my opinion may seem wrong to players investing a lot more time/efforts. Still I think it deserves considering.

Please read carefully before taking decisions! This is a rather complicated proposal :)

The problem:
Crafting, which seems one of the strongest and funniest features of PoE is currently only doable by powerful players (or guilds) with enormous amount of time/effort involved. I know one could get lucky from time to time, I was myself - 6L in one fuse and +crit chance on Harbinger bow on second attempt, but those do not count since were kind of YOLO. Later on I've burned 900+ fuses with no luck at all. And besides you can really get lucky one or two times. Well two times is not enough to equip a character with 7 slots for equipment not counting the jewelry.
Yes, you can actually get extremely lucky and get a mirror drop and trade for equip, but how many will do?

The obvious and WRONG decision :)- would be to make orbs drop like hell. But this will immediately kill the fun of actually achieving something hard.

Proposal:
Slightly(!!) increase drop rate of crafting orbs in a way that will almost(!) guarantee 1-2 eternals and half a dozen of exalts for every character able to reach endgame (75+ maps, 80+ lvl)

Possible problems:
Just increasing the drop rate will probably flood the game with currency due to players with enormous playtime, and farmers.

PROPOSED SOLUTION:
Drop linear RNG, and go for different tiers of RNG thus providing a limited boost per character, that could not be exploited by farmers. I'll try to give examples and pseudo code to make it as clear as possible. All numbers are just for examaple and will require careful tuning for this to not turn into disaster :)

Examples follow:
---------------------------
We will introduce a per caracter properties:
%orb_drop_max_value% = 100
%orb_weight_replenish_ratio% = 0.3
%orb_drop_booster% - value varies for 0 to %orb_drop_max_value%
%orb_drop_booster_cooldown% - value varies between few hours and few days.

Let's give relative weights to orbs:
%boost_weigth_ete% = 50
%boost_weight_exa% = 25

lets assume normal roll for orb drop is something like:
Spoiler

%hasToDopOrb% : bool = rollOrbDropChance(); // returning exteremly low
if (%hasToDopOrb%) {
. %orb% : Orb = rollOrb()
. engine.drop(%orb%)
}

let's change this to:
Spoiler

%hasToDopOrb% : bool = rollOrbDropChance(); // returning exteremly low

%orb% : Orb = rollOrb()

// here is the boost
if ( !%hasToDopOrb%
&& character.getLevel() > 70 // prevent exploits from low lvl chars
&& !%orb_drop_booster_cooldown% // prevent orbs raining :)
&& %orb_drop_booster% > %orb%.getRelativeBoostWeight() // cold we drop this orb?
) {
%hasToDopOrb% : bool = rollOrbDropLuckyChance(); // returning high prob. may be 1-5% at max
if (%hasToDopOrb%) {
%orb_drop_booster% = %orb_drop_booster% - %orb%.getRelativeBoostWeight();
}
}

if (%hasToDopOrb%) {
engine.drop(%orb%)
}

So we have boosted our lvl70 hero to get few orbs. Question is how many and here is the tricky part - not that much. Example numbers will give him 1 eternal and 3 exalts, and this must be the maximum, to avoid flooding the market..

------------------------------
At this point one would say ... "wow so much QQ for an eternal and 3 exalts!" but that's not all :)

There is one more change regarding the crafting system! You remeber that %orb_weight_replinish_ratio%, right? :)

Lets assume that currently when you use and orb will happen this:
Spoiler

engine.applyOrb(%item%, %orb%);

Let's change this to:
Spoiler

%orbWeight% = %orb%.getRelativeBoostWeight()

// only when orb was applied successfully and was consumed
if ( engine.applyOrb(%item%, %orb%)) {
%replinishValue% = %orbWeight% * %orb_weight_replinish_ratio%;

if ( %orb_drop_booster% + %replinishValue% <= %orb_drop_max_value%) {
%orb_drop_booster% = %orb_drop_booster% + %replinishValue%;
} else if ( %orb_drop_booster% < %orb_drop_max_value% ) {
%orb_drop_booster% = %orb_drop_max_value%;
}

%orb_drop_booster_cooldown% = engine.generateRandomOrbDropCooldown();
}

Hey, what did just happen?!!

That guy that actually dared to burn his orb instead of trading it just got some minor boost. Not equal to the orb tough but still boost. Thats awesome! Now he just may return to playing and hope he will get another orb :D

Please note, that example is simplified and includes only eternal/exalt but ALL orbs must be included to that system. Thus one could get 100 fusings instead of eternal and besides playing with "WTF is MY eternal" in mind is hardly funny at all. I will stress again that "almost guaranteed" should never become "100% guaranteed"

tl;dr

Slight boost to orbs drop rates based on consumable resource, which gets PARTIALLY replenished when you craft.

Pros:
* little more happiness for casual player
* bring the joy of crafting and tha chance to have nerdgasm to lot more players while still crafting GG item will require lots of effort.
* reduced frustration when crafting due to the higher chance to replenish collected orbs
* boost kicking in at lvl 70 along with the cool-down will prevent gold farmers to exploit it
* If you try to sell orbs you will burn yor booster so no expected economy collapse due to market flooded with eternals at 5:1 to wisdom scrolls lol
* reduce the urge to trade and actually make possible (or easier) self found players with no other changes/or special leagues
* Relatively decent items will be more cheap and common thus most ppl will be able to get into 60/70-ish which will retain much more unskilled casuals and give them time to get skilled thus increasing player base :)
* Godly items will probably become even more expensive due to the higher base of not-that-bad items on market.

Cons:

Well I don't really see any, otherwise I'd have not proposed at all
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
blablaa, do not improve orb drop rates, improve their function

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info