Running an RF build and need some info!

Credit to Necropotence for the passive tree build, and ColbyCheeze for the gem build idea which dramatically improved my character.

Idea: Snapshot RF with Infernal Mantle + Dual Redbeaks (Which is part of my question), swap back to Brightbeak/Rise of the Phoenix. Cyclone with Life Gain on Hit with Culling to keep up Frenzy Charges (Life regen).

Current build at Level 68:

Build plan for Level 80:

Current Gear:
Spoiler
Weapon; Leap Slam + Faster Attacks + Blood Magic:

Shield; Vulnerability + Enduring Cry + Blood Magic:

Helmet; Vitality + Grace + Purity of Fire + Blood Magic:

Gloves; Cyclone + Life Gain on Hit + Culling Strike + Blood Magic:

Belt (For stats):

Boots; Cast When Dmg Taken (Level 3; Support Level 35) + Ice Nova + Inc Area of Effect + Blind:

Rings/Ammy:

Weapon Swap/Snapshot Armor:

Spoiler
Weapon Right Hand; Just leveling Gems

Weapon Right Hand; Purity of Elements + Animate Guardian + Blood Magic (The idea of Animate Guardian also from Colby, to link Leer Cast for 15% dmg when RF is cast and since you swap weapons right after, it will never die and you should keep the buff from the Guardian):

Armour Swapping Righteous Fire; Righteous Fire + Concentrated Effect + Increased Area of Effect (And I swap in/out the Increased Burning Damage Gem from my other armour piece):

My reasoning for Culling on gloves with Cyclone:
ColbyCheeze recommends Vaal Cyclone to bring enemies in, but I am using Culling Strike to ensure Frenzy Charges stay up when fighting packs. Each Frenzy Charge with my boots = 1% Life regen, at a max of 3 at the moment for me, giving me 3% Life regen extra.

Reasoning for Blind on Boots with CWDT + Ice Nova:
No good reason, I will Chrom my boots eventually to have a better link.

My questions:
Am I gaining 200% Increased Damage on RF since I am casting BM Purity of Elements to be on Low Life when I trigger Righteous Fire? Not to mention, I must be gaining increased Fire Damage and +1 Fire Gem Skill (So, RF) from it as well, correct? Or, am I only gaining 200% damage bonus on the Animate Guardian's buff of 15%, so 15% x 200%?

Please keep in mind I am rather casual, this is my highest character this season, but definitely my most enjoyed. And so tips on gear, like replacing my helmet with Alpha Howl, or my Snapshop Infernal with Carcass, remember that affording these items is not within my range at the moment.

I really hope someone can clear this up for me, so I can optimize my favourite build to date <3
Yes the Redbeaks' and Infernal Mantles bonuses would be "snapshotted."
Although I am not sure about the Animate Guardian, that's an interesting idea, never considered using it to snapshot RF... May have to look into it :P

Though if you wanted to snapshot without wasting as much Inventory space, you could use Hrimnor's Resolve instead of the Mantle. Doryani's Invitation is amazing for snapshotting, but it is rather expensive.. :S
Windscream boots are nice too, also somewhat expensive, though you don't have to snapshot those, you can use them normally and get a 2nd Curse.

I also don't see the point in Culling Strike, you could just use Added Chaos Damage on Cyclone instead, and then be able to, albeit rather slowly, actually kill those pesky Totems.. ~.^

Hold up. Hold the F**K UP! You don't have the single most important Passive for this build?!
WHY do you not have Elemental Adaptation?! o_0 o_0 o_0

Why would ANY build not have Elemental Adaptation [if it is only 1 point away]?!

/facedesk

(My RF build, just so you get an idea of what I did, looks something like this, although mine started as a Marauder, so instead of a useless 10 Life Node, he has some extra Armor %: Build
Though until you your Purity of Fire becomes Level 20, you shouldn't grab the last 2 Nodes in the Inner Force cluster.)

I use Cyclone to trigger the EE, that's why I have RT. I have Lightning Damage on one of my Rings.
IGN: Golem_Antsy, Harvest
Last edited by Sheriff_K on Apr 18, 2014, 1:07:06 PM
"
Sheriff_K wrote:
Yes the Redbeaks' and Infernal Mantles bonuses would be "snapshotted."
Although I am not sure about the Animate Guardian, that's an interesting idea, never considered using it to snapshot RF... May have to look into it :P

Though if you wanted to snapshot without wasting as much Inventory space, you could use Hrimnor's Resolve instead of the Mantle. Doryani's Invitation is amazing for snapshotting, but it is rather expensive.. :S
Windscream boots are nice too, also somewhat expensive, though you don't have to snapshot those, you can use them normally and get a 2nd Curse.

I also don't see the point in Culling Strike, you could just use Added Chaos Damage on Cyclone instead, and then be able to, albeit rather slowly, actually kill those pesky Totems.. ~.^

Hold up. Hold the F**K UP! You don't have the single most important Passive for this build?!
WHY do you not have Elemental Adaptation?! o_0 o_0 o_0

Why would ANY build not have Elemental Adaptation [if it is only 1 point away]?!

/facedesk

(My RF build, just so you get an idea of what I did, looks something like this, although mine started as a Marauder, so instead of a useless 10 Life Node, he has some extra Armor %: Build
Though until you your Purity of Fire becomes Level 20, you shouldn't grab the last 2 Nodes in the Inner Force cluster.)

I use Cyclone to trigger the EE, that's why I have RT. I have Lightning Damage on one of my Rings.

Thanks for the info!

I use Culling Strike to help keep my character alive with the extra 3%hp regen. I am almost at 3,000hp and just running maps, and just hit level 72 last night. So instead of risking death, for now I am just insuring I stay alive.

And after looking at the choice of Scion or Marauder, I chose Scion because of aesthetics. I'm not a perfectionist, nor am I too worried about true endgame.

I have Elemental Adaption, I literally ALWAYS forget to include it when posting a build with it.. just slips my mind -_-
Looks ok to me ;)

WRT to mara vs scion the only difference is 1 passive point, which is not great but not completely useless (10hp)

What do you want to achieve? High armour, max end charges, some evasion,..?

Also take a look at how auras work with the extra maximum resistance and what are the breakpoints for it. The 2 mara starting passives and the templar aoe passive are a must imo (3 passives total) I would respec other points and get those.

GL!

And I completely agree about rather looking at a scion than a mara :)
My guides
HC melee ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/507976
HC RF scion: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/666667
HC RF marauder: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/842382
RF resource guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/832331
"
Womancraft wrote:
I use Culling Strike to help keep my character alive with the extra 3%hp regen.

I don't see why you'd need Culling Strike to achieve that.. Just killing them with RF should do it, no?
IGN: Golem_Antsy, Harvest
"
Necropotence wrote:
Looks ok to me ;)

WRT to mara vs scion the only difference is 1 passive point, which is not great but not completely useless (10hp)

What do you want to achieve? High armour, max end charges, some evasion,..?

Also take a look at how auras work with the extra maximum resistance and what are the breakpoints for it. The 2 mara starting passives and the templar aoe passive are a must imo (3 passives total) I would respec other points and get those.

GL!

And I completely agree about rather looking at a scion than a mara :)

Thanks (;

Since my gear is basically self found and I scrounge to afford basic things like Phoenix, I am going for a mix. I am fine with the 7 Endurance Charges at the moment, I am just creeping my way to 80. I actually got two upgrades yesterday:
Spoiler
(Whoops need to quality that armour) d:

I will definitely grab the 2 starting Marauder nodes eventually, and as for Amplify good point. Even if I just grab the 1 node it's only 2 points to spend.
Last edited by Womancraft on Apr 20, 2014, 12:30:41 AM
"
Sheriff_K wrote:
"
Womancraft wrote:
I use Culling Strike to help keep my character alive with the extra 3%hp regen.

I don't see why you'd need Culling Strike to achieve that.. Just killing them with RF should do it, no?

Well at the moment my Helm is RRRG, so I don't use it anymore (I swap out Cyclone with Flicker/Multistrike sometimes now). And no it doesn't because RF is a degen and doesn't grant on kill effects.

But when I do get my helmet RRGG, I'm going to be doing BM, Life Gain on Hit, Cyclone, Faster Attacks for more sustainability. I actually solo'd Dom last night first try and beat him solely depending on my Cyclone+LGoH after my potions ran out in second phase. I didn't realize how powerful it was, so if I had faster attacks I would probably only need the potions because of the first phase lightning skeleton laser attack he does d: And swap with BM, LGoH, Flicker, to insure keeping up Frenzies purely to keep Flicker going. As I level, I don't need the Frenzy charges at all. And I forgot to bring a Topaz Flask -_o
"
Womancraft wrote:
And no it doesn't because RF is a degen and doesn't grant on kill effects.

this is incorrect and only true for "on hit" effects. u get frenzy charges while killing with righteous fire
"
MDGeizt wrote:
"
Womancraft wrote:

this is incorrect and only true for "on hit" effects. u get frenzy charges while killing with righteous fire

Really? Okay, I guess I had it wrong.
"
Womancraft wrote:
"
MDGeizt wrote:
"
Womancraft wrote:

Really? Okay, I guess I had it wrong.

You know what, I totally realized why I got mixed up. I kept thinking about how Searing Bond doesn't gain on kill effects, ie; from the boots.

Thanks for the clear up.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info