I stand corrected (6L in 17 fusings)

So here is the thing, I have never successfully created anything worth noting by actually using the ingame orbs. By trial and error I came to conclusion it is ALWAYS better to use it as currency (~bank notes) and I stick to it since closed beta.

It so happened I was able to convince one of my colleagues to try this game out. As fathers of families we do not have too much time to get to "high society" ingame, so for some of you this might be just a boring story, but yesterday he dropped a trires+life+armor+block rate AR base chest. We thought about it for a while (his gear is just a bit worse than mine = mediocre at best) and then I felt like doing something crazy, so I borrowed the chest (it had 3 sockets, no links) and "for the science" I tried to craft it.

It took 7 jewellers to 6 socket it
It took 17 fusings (and 17x15 armorers scraps) to 6 link it
It took 24 chromatics to get it to RRBBBB (4 off-colours)

And it took the whole evening to stop freaking out :) At last, his resists are capped (he used to join my Torture chamber maps without lightning res capped, you get the idea...)

Here is the chest:

TL;DR : Don't you ever underestimate RNGeezus! It happens once in a lifetime, but it happens.

I know it is nothing too special, but it IS special to me as I guess the odds of doing this were... small. So thanks for reading this and good luck with your linkings.

Two questions if I may :

1. is there any way to prevent the chest from using anything on it by accident? (chromatics mainly) I think leaving a gem inside is one way, but that can fail. Any other way?

2. any rough price suggestions? Not that he would sell it right now, but we were wondering how much would we get if the need arises (Ambush)
Last edited by aldorus on Apr 17, 2014, 2:17:01 AM
maybe what people need is just a little bit more patience
What do you stand corrected about?
Once it hits maximum sockets and links, you are not able to use Jewelers and Fusings anymore.
For Chromatics, well, only way is like you said, keeping a gem in it.
“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
"
LeftyLucy wrote:

He was convince currency orbs are only good for trading.
Now he experienced otherwise and stands corrected.
“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
Last edited by Sneakypaw on Apr 17, 2014, 2:54:32 AM
The funny twist is that I was aiming for 5L (somewhere I saw an estimate of 1:100 for 5L and 1:1000 for 6L) as even 100 fusings is a whole fortune for me.

I was wondering how much the Armorer scraps really help. If 15% quality changes 1:1000 to 1:985 or 1:850 - for me, it was the lucky charm it seems.

I will instruct my colleague to never ever pull out all the gems, then.
"
Sneakypaw wrote:
"
LeftyLucy wrote:

Yeah, but getting lucky doesn't actually change that fact.
"
LeftyLucy wrote:
"
Sneakypaw wrote:
"
LeftyLucy wrote:

Yeah, but getting lucky doesn't actually change that fact.

In a way, you are right, I still think it is best to trade for upgrades than to craft them. But after a certain point, it becomes impossible for casual like me and my friends. The already linked items just cost way too much.

So, now after this experience I am more willing to take a risk in case a solid "craft base" chest item drops (or I am able to buy it cheap unlinked / unsocketed) to try to link it with a set "gambling" budget (lets say 100 fusings in each step)
"
aldorus wrote:

And it took the whole evening to stop freaking out :)

Beware that this is a very dangerous feeling. I had a similar experience and felt the same way but sooner or later you'll say - hey, how hard could it be to 6L another thing :)

And then comes the disappointment along with the devastation of you stash supplies of orbs and stuff that sells ;)

Crafting in PoE is not balanced for casual players. It would have been nice if there were some exponentially decrementing drop rate chance for us - casuals (i.e. high porbability to drop eternals/exalts initially that decreases with number of drops) ... but that's not the case.

FTR. I've burned 900+ fusings and 2-3k armorers (at least 200 attempts at 10%q) and got 3 5Ls in the process.
I got home yesterday to my friend having 6Linked his carcuss jack in less than 40 fusings. He then found that beastly 2H mace Unique (20 area dmg) from his FIRST EVER MAP. This is after him finding an alpha's howl on one of my MF-Piety runs and to top it all off, he corrupted a 1 socket chest which gave him a 6L.
He then 5linked my insane mace that he was borrowing (he couldnt use the unique yet).

Man, he was almost a different colour after the excitement.

He's new-ish to the game and understands that you dont ever "try" to 6L, you only go for 5L and take a 6L if you get lucky.

I couldnt feel happier for him.
Just for try for see and for know.

She corpse exploded the corpse of the boss...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info