1.1.X Poison Arrow (Trapper) 17.3K+ DPS

Background Story
I have had a few requests on my current build so I decided to share what I have been working on. This is my first guide post so bear with me please. I wanted a build that did good damage and that was reflect immune. I have loved DoT classes such as Necro from Everquest and other games so I found Poison Arrow. Also as a disclaimer I respeced into this when last reset happened. I do not have a low level portion of the guide but it is possible but wouldn't shine until later levels.

Build Mechanics
The basis of this build is built around Poison Arrow gem as mentioned above. Poison arrow linked in a bow and fired will only do around 5-6k DPS tool tip. After some play testing I found that you can link the Poison arrow gem with the trap and remote mine supports to improve the damage over time. Also add in the Vulnerability Curse and you have 40% more damage on top of what the tool tip is already displaying. Additionally it is still a bug that Concentrated Effect does not show damage in tool tip. So in the title I put 17.3K+ but it is well over that.

The Good
- Does great damage
- Reflect immune
- Medium range
- Can support 3 Auras
- Not standard build
- Max resists with gear/aura

The Not so Good
- Only 3166 HP at lvl 82
- Requires some movement to avoid damage
- Not direct damage
- Cannot kill totems
- Requires bow for Poison Arrow trap

Gems/Links
Spoiler

Primary Offensive Link(6L Bow)

[Poison Arrow] -Primay Offensive skill gem
[Empower]- At level 3 raises Poison Arrow by 2 levels
[Slower Projectiles]- Projectile damage adds to the base damage of poison arrow
[Concentrated Effect] - Raises damage of area skills
[Trap] - Allows Poison Arrow to be throw as trap(requires bow) and adds damage
[Remote Mine] - Allows Poison Arrow to be placed as mine and adds damage

Secondary Offensive Link (5L Chest)

[Desecrate] - Does area DoT chaos damage
[Empower] - Adds level to Desecrate skill
[Multiple Traps] - Allows multiple clouds of chaos :)
[Trap] - Same as before set spell as trap
[Concentrated Effect] Added area damage

Aura Link (4L Boots)

[Purity of Lightning] - Adds to max Lightning resist and overall resists
[Purity of Fire] - Adds to max Fire resist and overall resists
[Purity of Ice] - Adds to max Cold resist and overall resists
[Reduced Mana] - Reduces mana of all linked gems

Aura Link (4L Gloves)

[Clarity] - With amount of reserved mana regen is paramount
[Vulnerability] - Curse that will added DoT damage taken
[Reduced Mana] - Reduces linked gems
[Open] - My item is only 3L (too lazy to 4L it for now)

Open Link (4L Helm)

Currently I am using this link to experiment with other trap possibilities. When you get down to the gear section you will see I am playing with a trapped corpse explosion. I am trying to use this with desecrate corpses and dead mobs laying around. It works ok but I suspect I will swap it with something else. Maybe something defensive.

Passive Tree

Gear
Spoiler

Main Hand

For the Poison Arrow trap to work you will have to use a bow. For maximum damage you will need to strive for a + 1 Gems / +2 Bow skills stats on the bow. The damage and most other stats on the bow are not relevant for this build. Obviously make sure ilvl is high enough for 6 sockets. This will also +1 your empower gem bringing the final level of the Poison Arrow gem to L26.

Off Hand

I am still looking for a better quiver but my aim was for high life and resists on this item.

Chest Item

Carcass Jack does wonders for this build. The high ES alone adds to your mana pool due to EB. The additional area damage and area radius synergies perfectly for this build. Once I got to 5L I stopped for now.

Boots

As with most life builds I was aiming for life, resists, and run speed if able. Again these were self found and I am sure optimization will help my stats out as I rebuild my EX stock.

Gloves

I was aiming for life, resists, and energy shield if able. As you can see I got some resists and energy shield. This item can be swapped later for more life and may help the some what low HP pool.

Helm

This is probably my worst item minus the +6 to life regen which is pretty nice. I would like a helm with more hp and resists.

Rings

For these I was aiming for the normal life, resists, mana/regen

Amulet

This could use some replacement and I am using it for the + all stats and some life value. I am sure there is way better out there.

Belt

This is being used for the + trap damamge, mana regen, and resists. If you want to take a hit to damage for survivability this could be swapped out with a high HP belt. I am a glutton for damage so I stuck with this.

How to Play

AURAS

Currently I am able to run 3 Auras. I always run clarity for the mana regen. I am able to pick 2 of the purity auras to run at same time. I swap which ones I run based upon the map I am running.

POISON ARROW TRAPPING

1. Place remote mine
2. Press trigger (I assign it to right mouse click)
3. Trap will fly in direction of closest mob
4. Trap will trigger and mass death will ensue

I usually will place a mine then move to another location and place. Then I will trigger both mines for traps to pop and then trigger. This will help with dispersal.

DESECRATE

1. Place remote min
2. Press trigger (I assign it to right mouse click)
3. Three traps will pop and place. Somethimes near mob others random
4. Traps discharge with about 2k DPS area damage
5. Leaves plenty of corpses for summoners / corpse exploders

I use this skill primarily keep some DPS up if my poison arrow trap is recharging. It is also good supplemental damage while the poision arrow DoT is going.
Last edited by kilthas84 on Apr 12, 2014, 2:58:14 AM
wow i'm poison arrow ranger,for pvp

but ur build is also great :D

I have +1all skill bow 6L, and +1all, +1bow, 3L,too.

but +1 all skill 6L bow is more useful than +1+1bow 3L, cause of other linked gems.

anyway, how can get +1all +2bow? just alter first? or 6L first?

I think it needs 14000alter to get the option.
you can't get those mod with only alterations right ?
IGN TylordRampage
a part of that, I would not recommand to use remote mine with poison arrow, even it's a huge damage booster... you need to control where to place your trap.
Using increase area support gem is also a must in my mind.
IGN TylordRampage
Last edited by Malone on Apr 14, 2014, 2:26:45 PM
Would be great to see a short video of the Mine/Trap combo :)
Tried it long time ago with Sunblast and ... well ... felt a bit clunky and slow.

Sure thing, it multiplies your DPS by about 4 but still ...
Last edited by Iyacthu on Apr 14, 2014, 7:54:45 PM
Mine/Trap combo sucks because you can't control it. You want to send your trap in big mob pack and you can't because the trap will be thrown to the next isolated mob... That's slow and uncontrollable... that's a pity because damage is huge ofc.

I definately prefer to use a secondary 4L trap/arc/added lightning/elem prolif ( all with quality 20 % )
This trap itself does a lot of damage and shocked mobs take more dot damage from poison arrow trap.

IGN TylordRampage
I have been busy at work but will update the build later tonight. You are right that remote mine can be troublesome. I have added increased AoE support for loss of some damage. I also have restructured some points and gear. I will update as time permits.thanks all for the awesome advice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-MyetivowE
This is a video of the Lunaris run with my poison trap ranger (68lvl).
I don't use Remote mine due to the lack of the socket on my +3 skill bow.
I linked Poison Arrow (18lvl)+Concentrated Effect+Trap+Increased Area Effect.
My tool tip DPS is 4.6K. I hope this helps.
niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....

this is what i ve been looking for

thanks!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info