What's the most potent gem for adding DPS?

Just curious. I currently use Dominating Blow to bump up the DPS on my sword, and was wondering if it's actually the strongest of the gems for doing this in its own right - never mind the color of the gem? For melee situations I use a sword armed with Spectral Throw and a few add-on gems, but when it comes to the bosses and worse I switch over to the DB sword for the close in stuff because it has a lot more kick to it.
The most potent support gem in the game for adding DPS is concentrated effect.

For main skill gems heavy strike/double strike are far better than dominating blow. Dominating blow is both expensive and deals less single target damage. It's used for converting minions to your side.
Last edited by kasub on Apr 3, 2014, 8:42:05 AM
Actually, had a brain freeze. I meant Heavy Strike, not dominating blow. Thanks for the feedback though, much appreciated.
Okay, I actually went through my stash of gems and realized I've had it there for a while, just never thought of using it in this context. So you're saying if I can find the suitable socket colors to link up with Concentrated Effect will juice up Heavy Strike?
"
timbo1959 wrote:
Okay, I actually went through my stash of gems and realized I've had it there for a while, just never thought of using it in this context. So you're saying if I can find the suitable socket colors to link up with Concentrated Effect will juice up Heavy Strike?

Concentrated effect only affects skill gems with an AoE modifier. It will only increase Heavy Strike damage if you also link melee splash, in which case it will affect the splash damage but not the primary target.

If you want better single target damage on heavy strike, your best bet is probably Melee Physical Damage, Added Fire, and Faster Attacks.
Read my book! The world ending in every way anyone ever thought it might end, all at once. First few chapters are available online for free.
http://www.amazon.com/The-End-World-Know-ebook/dp/B00CZ21JAQ
In general, supports that give "more" damage will help your DPS more than those that say "increased" damage. The more ones are multipliers. So depending on your damage type, gems like Weapon Elemental Damage, Physical Projectile Attack Damage, and Concentrated Effect will give you a significant damage boost.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
I think Reave. It is good skill to be aoe, frees shield slot, and can be supported by con, melee physical, melee physical on full life, and has no negative dmg effectivness.
If you're Heavy Strike is primary physical damage, then Added Fire Support will provide 30-40% bonus fire damage based on your physical.
The chance to Vaal +1% maximum resists on an amulet is less than 1/300.
double strike + multistrike + faster attacks + more physical damage, if 5 link added fire

heavy strike is also good, but for single target damage double strike will do more dps because it doesnt knock the boss around like heavy strike does. heavy strike is more defensive though due to creating the separation between hits.

I really enjoy heavy strike + multi+ melee splash + MPD + added fire damage in my spectral throw build as a AoE finisher after mobs have run through my ST spam.
Hey...is this thing on?
Last edited by LostForm on Apr 3, 2014, 12:54:07 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info