Necromancer in progress - questions regarding minons.

1 - Do raging spirits count as minions when considering passive skills
2 - What spells would you recommend to augment minions
3 - do these spells come from quests, or are they random
4 - what are your experiences as a necromancer like? easy? hard? strong? weak? reliable?
1 yes
2 depends on what you want to use spells for , damage or support
3 if you pick a class that has a tendency toward summoning(witch) then yes
at the start they are hard as hell because the minions are petty garbage .
it will be a constant and ver tedious micro managing battle and your minions wont feel like they hit all that hard , especially if you have no summoning items.

once your build is established and properly built things fall in to place extremely fast.
Last edited by Saltychipmunk on Apr 2, 2014, 10:01:24 AM
"
Saltychipmunk wrote:
1 yes
2 depends on what you want to use spells for , damage or support
3 if you pick a class that has a tendency toward summoning(witch) then yes
at the start they are hard as hell because the minions are petty garbage .
it will be a constant and ver tedious micro managing battle and your minions wont feel like they hit all that hard , especially if you have no summoning items.

once your build is established and properly built things fall in to place extremely fast.

i'm looking to use the minions as my primary source of damage, having only enough myself to generate the corpses i need to summon them.

my biggest issue with them so far is things that aoe just destroy my little 4 zombie army. notably the fire rain guy in the 2nd map, the fire dogs, and i found a guy that shoots a jet of lightning.

i'm brand new to the game, only 2 days into it. and i did a bit of research before hand to come up with this

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMA37CCEAelAuNr20myksGOvhEtg_cfAgQHTLNQMNte6-RfKjbF2CSnCJ2uGmymrIhAkDOPRtDQm6H316yYFLA6MDlSvDdObVgHzLwQl0QEhWCqxE255CK1BF3G3fNgbUVHa6w3RwVbuJPr7tWBsnVYG9kLKpj6gEjnc1MtH20ZwfNXK6Kjf8Yc3JMn3Fefe3i6KPqCx_noGDy9J5M6CGdX4fllIcOQ1i1HUEKMNnOz8GsV59VPtAxGcYMJsZAtqNtZt9ZvnpykhxNoDr-XyT3yHsHF7BiP-l76_KudoxGW0DkX2HvX0_sTbKh9WpFqrAZJ

the concept behind this was that it's based around the punishment curse. is there anything else you would highly reccommend for this kind of build? i've already altered it some to push towards strength because i've noticed that some spell gems can't be used without an appropriate level of that attribute.
Punishment is not a very useful curse. Temporal Chains, Enfeeble and Vulnerability are all better choices. You have quite a few nodes in your tree that will not help you as a summoner.

My tree is here. I do not claim it is optimal, but it works.
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
Benjamin Franklin
you don't have minion instability...
I start as a generic fire/cold witch, using Fireball, Freezing Pulse, Firestorm and Ice Nova to deal damage until my minions level up. Craft a +1 fire gem wand and a +1 cold gem wand and they'll do fine, even unsupported by passives or linked gems.

Certainly don't expect your zombies to take out Fire Fury in the 2nd map right off the bat. I usually find I need to get partway through Act 2 before my zombies survive encounters. Before that they are better as distractions than at dealing damage.

Once your summoner hits Merciless your minions should have levelled up sufficiently that they're almost unstoppable with some linked gems (e.g. Minion Life, Life Leech, Minion Damage).

For a single curse I prefer Enfeeble, and for a double curse I use Enfeeble + Temporal Chains.

My Ambush summoner currently has this tree. Like Artanthos, I don't claim it's optimal but it worked for me (including Normal and Cruel Dominus kills without dying). It is a bit low on life, but that's because I'll be respeccing into Chaos Innoculation soon. (If you're planning on being life-based then you might want to swap some aura/minion nodes for life nodes.) Having said that, if you're using your minions well then your summoner shouldn't often be directly in the firing line so a huge life pool isn't necessary.

Now that I've tested the levelling process in Ambush I'm using the same tree in Invasion and it's going well. Obviously I'm taking it much more cautiously and dis-engaging more often than I would in softcore - or not engaging some bosses in the first place :)
"
Mortesh wrote:
i found a guy that shoots a jet of lightning.

I think you mean Hailrake on Tidal Island - that's Ice Spear, and it does cold damage rather than lightning.
It will take a bit for Minions to really get going. As you noticed, especially elemental AoE will wreck their shit for a while.

Helms can roll +1 to Minion Gems as a Prefix (Reanimator's). It's one of the most potent and cheap boosts to a Minion's effectiveness. It starts appearing at item level 14, so Cavern of Wrath is the first area it can naturally drop.
I used this until late Merciless just because it had +1 Minion Gems:

Zombie + Melee Splash + Multistrike. Good stuff. I got lucky with drops :P

Three Gems to look out for:
Desecrate allows you to spawn corpses to raise Zombies (or Spectres) from.
Raise Spectre is another type of Minion that can either really blow, or tear stuff up. I used a bunch of big melee fellows such as bears and Auric Collosi when leveling, but then I found Undying Evangelists in late Act 3 and stuck to those forever more.
Flesh Offering makes your Minions fast. It's absolutely fantastic.

If you want all three Gems, make sure to pick up Desecrate in A2 Normal, Raise Spectre in A3 Normal, and Flesh Offering in A1 Cruel. Otherwise you'll have to rely on either trading, a second character, or sheer luck to get them. :)

Bone Offering is really not required until late into the game, and even then it's situational. Still, if you come across one, not a bad idea to keep it around.
Rejuvenation Totem emits a surprisingly powerful Regen aura. Keeps your minions in the fight longer.

Curses!
Enfeeble makes everything really weak.
Temporal Chains makes monsters slower.
Combine the two and you're pretty much Safe (TM).
Vulnerability is nice if you want your Minions to wreck stuff I guess? Haven't used it on my Summoner, but I can see why people would want it around.

Auras are superb. They grant a huge amount of flexibility. I strongly suggest picking up Reduced Reservation and Increased Effect of Auras from the tree.
Hatred is my bread-and-butter Aura. With all that Increased Effect, it ends up adding around 70% of their Physical Damage as Cold, which is one of the largest boosts you can get for Zombies.
Haste is really good for grinding out easy content. Makes everything faster, simple as that.
Purity of Fire/Cold/Lightning. I almost always have one of these active, sometimes two. It changes depending on the area I'm in. Purity of Elements grants Resistances to all Elements, but doesn't have the Max Resists bonus; I eventually dropped it.
Vitality grants percent-based Regeneration. It's somewhere around 2.5% per second. Useful to combat Damage over Time effects.
Discipline is an interesting option. I used it early on, and it really helps keep Zombies standing upright in Cruel. Ditched it in Merciless though, due to lack of sockets.
Grace should work well with Enfeeble, but I haven't gone and tried it yet because Grace requires a ton of Dex; didn't have enough until recently, and now I'd have to level a Grace gem.

-----------
"
Mortesh wrote:

Having your Minions kill themselves when they still have 30% Life isn't always a good thing. I don't really like it either.
(I'm still debating on picking up Hex Master + Whispers, or maybe Life, or maybe Necromantic Aegis, or... I dunno)
Last edited by Vipermagi on Apr 2, 2014, 3:43:00 PM
"
Vipermagi wrote:

-----------
"
Mortesh wrote:

Having your Minions kill themselves when they still have 30% Life isn't always a good thing. I don't really like it either.
(I'm still debating on picking up Hex Master + Whispers, or maybe Life, or maybe Necromantic Aegis, or... I dunno)

they explode at LOW health and deal 33% of their max hp in damage. with the ability to just resummon more fromt he corpses you've created, that is an aoe explosion. but even with all the buffs you have i'm sure at some point you lose a few minions here or their, and that's to them getting killed without blowing up. turn your minions into al qaeda and start wreaking some serious havoc.
"Low Life" means 35% or below. For high-level Minions, that's still a pretty considerable amount of Life.

Additionally, if they are reduced to 0 Life before they can explode, they'll just die as usual. My Zombies really only die to crazy bosses, so odds are they'd be too slow anyways (and if they're not, I'd rather keep them alive just a little longer because there's a crazy boss).

Yes, you can just get more Zombies, but that shit costs Mana.

It's a fine Keystone, and you're free to take it if you like. I'm just saying, I don't like it personally.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Apr 2, 2014, 3:49:58 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info