RPS Beta Impression Article

RockPaperShotgun recently wrote up an article on playing the beta. You can read it here:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/22/impressions-path-of-exile-beta/

It's slightly annoying cause the author mentions Diablo a billion times. Is it similar to Diablo? Really? That's probably because it's the same genre. Herp-a-derp.

I am a poor freezingly cold soul
So far from where
I intended to go
Last edited by Oasisbhrnw on Sep 22, 2011, 1:20:10 PM
I thought it was a pretty good article. It made me come here!

And I don't think anyone is even trying to deny that this game is heavily influenced by the Diablo series..
It's frustrating when it's obvious how little of the game that someone has actually played. From the way he described certain systems and mechanics incorrectly it sounds like he's maybe about halfway through Act 1 at best. Otherwise it's a decent article and of course you can't complain about the extra publicity. Still it'd be nice if someone was going to take the time to write an article they would at least take the time to get a more nuanced understanding of the game beyond the reflexive 'D2 clone' reaction that all the new and ignorant players have.
Forum Sheriff
everyone has their own opinions and as a RPS colomnist it does seem rather apparent that he has not given the game a proper play through with some of his convictions
This part confused me:
"
Yes, socketing isn’t new in itself, but it goes much further in Path of Exile, or at least that’s my impression at this early stage. The primary reason is that modifications, to drop into any free sockets on an item, drop far more often than in Diablo II and they seem to alter weapons in more dramatic ways. Within a couple of hours of starting, I had three different weapons, all modified with at least one plugin, and all with different uses. One concentrated on pure power, one was fast and frightful, and the other was a two-handed beast of a sword dripping with poison. They often have abilities activated as you would normally activate character skills, which makes me think much more actively about what I’ve got equipped.
Maybe he's thinking support gems augment equipment? Gems and runes dropped far more frequently in D2 than gems in PoE.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info