Why do most posted marauder builds follow the life starting path?

I've started my lowbie Marauder (default) going down the melee dps path and am wondering if it's doomed to being a fragile character at higher levels. I was hoping that I could build a 2H dps based build with high life leech and regen.

Am I better off just starting with a well tested build and learning the intricacies of the game before making my own build?
"
FrodoFraggins wrote:
I've started my lowbie Marauder (default) going down the melee dps path and am wondering if it's doomed to being a fragile character at higher levels. I was hoping that I could build a 2H dps based build with high life leech and regen.

The thing is, everything works in Act 1 normal difficulty. That's why it's so easy to get a deceiving idea that going pure melee DPS can work. It can work on a very high level build which is very specifically and carefully crafted to support an incredibly fast paced, dangerous and hard play style of a melee DPS character.

"
FrodoFraggins wrote:
Am I better off just starting with a well tested build and learning the intricacies of the game before making my own build?

Yes and no. You should be familiar with the game in order to judge whether a build suits you or not.
Life is tough... but it is tougher if you're stupid.
"
VenatorPoE wrote:
"
FrodoFraggins wrote:

The thing is, everything works in Act 1 normal difficulty. That's why it's so easy to get a deceiving idea that going pure melee DPS can work. It can work on a very high level build which is very specifically and carefully crafted to support an incredibly fast paced, dangerous and hard play style of a melee DPS character.

"
FrodoFraggins wrote:

Yes and no. You should be familiar with the game in order to judge whether a build suits you or not.

Thanks for the response.

I'll be honest and say that I feel fragile even in A1 normal. This game, with my build, feels much harder than any other ARPG I've played. Those games include D2, D3, TQ, TL, TL2 and Dungeon Siege.

I think I'm going to reroll using a proven and tested build and see how I feel.
I went directly into the Damage Nodes for Mauraders, the ones which were focused highly on Maces/2H weapons.
I regretted it, I found after Act 1 Normal, I was extremely squishy, and despite the higher DPS then the tanky kind of Marauder, I was unable to play Solo and get into the game.
Luckily, with the many refund points you're given from quests, you're able to change slightly to achieve a much better, and tankier build without really needing to reroll.

I was using Blood Magic while at 400HP, that is how poorly I had planned it, with very little experience from CB.

Thankfully, with many new players, I've been "powerleveled" to an extent, where I was able to change my nodes with refunds and am beginning to become the Monster that us Marauders were meant to be.

So, what I learnt from my experience was, Go along the life line, grab the resistances, then begin making your way to Resolute Tech.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info