Optimizing Build - Dual Ice Spear Totem & Triple Curse

My build is based on hypershatter's, which you can read more about here

I am level 55 in early Act 2 Merciless with 3 extra passive skill points right now and this is my tree: link

I sort of messed up taking the route to Arcane Focus through the two 8% life nodes early, but just used my first two refunds there. Having the life was actually helpful while leveling. I just took CI even though my gear needs work and I only have about 1.1K ES with aura.

Another spot I see to refund a point is the +10 INT near Throatseeker since I loop around near CI anyhow.

With those 4 points, 3 bandits and quests (guessing at least 3) I will have at least 20 points to use by lvl 65 (84 total on chart). I took 4% fast cast from bandits in Cruel but maybe should have gotten +base mana also.

This is what I am thinking: level 65 tree

Mana has been fine up to this point, but I will probably have a 5L chest in not too long and it is starting to get to be a problem, so first 4 points on another 42% max mana with Deep Thoughts at the top near Hex Master.

I just noticed that hypershatter has updated his build to this and Body and Soul was something I was considering end-game, but the tree I am thinking is different because I want to go into the Templar area for Inner force, Prestidigitation and the -7% mana cost of skills node (my Ice Spear is 150 right now).

After Deep Thoughts, 5 points goes toward Inner Force. Total +30% "increased effect of buffs on you" means my Clarity and Discipline are 30% more effective. I will get 12.35 mana per second versus 9.5 (level 9/220 mana) and 118 ES instead of 91 (level 6/145 mana).

I feel like the mana cost for that small amount of ES isn't worth it, but maybe I don't understand the mechanics of it. Endgame, taking Vitality aura might be better with Zealot's Oath. The hit to my mana with a fairly high Reduced Mana is going to be big (60%+ from both auras). Haste is another option, but both of these take over 100 Dex/Str (wiki needs updated) and I am getting either 1% life regen (ES, if that even works) or 10% cast speed (which apparently helps totems). The 130% from Inner Force does make these effectively like a high level gem though, at least on myself and quality versions shouldn't be that ridiculously priced.

Anyhow, the 3 points seem worth it for Clarity alone and it seems like the best way into the Templar tree. By using 17 of the 20 points I gave myself, I will get Celestial Walker, Prestidigitation, and -7% mana cost to everything.

With the last 3 points I put into one of the +30 Str nodes I have access to and two of the trap nodes for 10% increased trigger radius and an additional trap. Spreading 3 curses + totems already keeps me busy, so I might not really use them there and go toward Body and Soul.

I am wondering because of other considerations if Templar hybrid ES/Str armor is worth it, but I don't know how much Str endgame pieces require. Windscream is 164 armor and I found this rare which also really got me thinking about taking Zealot's Oath:

The whole path to Body and Soul is going to get me 60% Armor 60% ES and 10% all resist for 6 points. 558 * 1.6 = 892 armor and maybe that isn't so hot though.

This is all of my gear right now. I will probably need to also grab another +30 Dex node at some point to remove the one ring, but I don't have any better option now. Priority is upgrading my belt/gloves/helm.

Spoiler

This is a hypothetical build going up to 95 points and grabbing Body & Soul + Arcane Potency: link

This last link is a rough idea for a very different path (85 points): link

With this one, how does that extra 52% chill duration work? I have 64% now with Ice Spear. Because most trash mobs are perma-frozen, this seems pointless but it is the only decent way with that route and mini-bosses never get frozen or chilled for long, so maybe it helps. Also, Ice spear explodes so I am wondering if Increased AOE is worth it at all. I'm looking to start using Faster Cast Speed or a quality Increased Projectile Speed though since that seems better.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info