PA needs to be reworked, along with CI

Edit: For those that don't know:
CI - Chaos inoculation
PA - Pain attunement

I have given this some though, and not the first time I am talking about this.
Help me out here, maybe I am missing something.

PA doesn't have a place in the game, am saying this as someone who is using PA on his character.
When you are using this node chaos damage instagibs you, and you can't stack more health to overcome this, because it has huge diminishing returns of 65%.
Also God forbid you have even lower health than 35%, due to a not leveled up reduced mana(health) cost and someone has a culling strike.

CI currently does nothing other than protect the player from chaos damage. It doesn't give bonus shield anymore, so it adds no surviveability, actually makes the player more squishy to non-chaos damage, so it purely trades all the health for complete immunity to chaos. Any tankiness you might get, you get from shield nodes, which you could have gotten on top of your health if you didn't take CI.

PA on the other hand basically ALSO trades all the health but for 30% increased spell damage, but PA can't work properly unless player gets some sort protection from chaos damage. which CI offers, but both do not work together.

Ok, so let's look at something - why is CI being taken, and who takes it?
Well it is being taken by people who have low life and strong energy shields, because they do not want to get killed by chaos damage easily. Basically what PA users want but don't get.

Now what do I propose?
I propose merging PA and CI into a single node with the following properties:

Maximum life becomes 1, 30% more spell damage, chaos damage no longer ignores shields.

What do we get? We get a node that sacrifices all life for increased spell damage.
It doesn't make the player any more resistant to chaos damage however, but instead makes the shields take all the damage instead of health, so it is still a win situation for people who have low health, and are taking this mastery for their shields to protect them instead.

Thoughts on this?

Last edited by Kadajko on Jan 29, 2013, 7:16:55 AM
I'm thinking this might belong in the beta feedback thread? You know, the place the made to talk about skill balance. It seems everyone wants to just cram everything into general. :(
Please familiarize yourself with the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory (GIFT) - http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Realize that the only part of the equation you can affect in the GIFT is the audience. Remove the audience and the trolls merely rant at the air.
"
I'm thinking this might belong in the beta feedback thread? You know, the place the made to talk about skill balance. It seems everyone wants to just cram everything into general. :(

Guess you are right. Perhaps one of the mods, could move this.
You could always just try to build chaos resistance from items. It's a somewhat rare affix but I've definitely seen it roll.
This would ruin my build. CI is fine as is.
Answer to this:

"
Kryzitex wrote:
This would ruin my build. CI is fine as is.

Is this:

"
Incompetent wrote:
You could always just try to build chaos resistance from items. It's a somewhat rare affix but I've definitely seen it roll.

Because CI is taken for protection from chaos.

BUT, the reason why this is not an answer to PA, is because life is so low, that % reduced damage is not enough to make it be able to survive chaos.
Last edited by Kadajko on Jan 29, 2013, 7:12:59 AM
PA = Poison Arrow?
"
EnviousMind wrote:
PA = Poison Arrow?

Pain attunement.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info