Vaal Detonate Dead

Post your feedback for this skill here!

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback.
Please email support@grindinggear.com if you need any assistance!

Last edited by Jess_GGG on Jun 7, 2018, 11:03:08 PM
Last bumped on Jun 7, 2018, 11:02:59 PM

Takes way too long to charge. By the time you can use it, the area you're in is probably 90% clear already, and there's no guarantee you'll even need it against whatever is leftover. Also, the idea that it's super-good in maps is invalid. In maps you can also get Infernal Blow = Melee Splash, which does almost exactly what this skill does except on-demand as opposed to once against the final boss... MAYBE.

The best use I've had for it was clearing a room of corpses after shelling that damn ice walling crab. That boss is so cheap if you don't know that he has his own Vaal DD and uses it at about 15% life.

If the soul counter didn't re-set every time you zoned, it'd actually be decently useful since you could save it for every third or so large boss pack and just faceroll it. Not bad for a skill by itself. Until then, STOP GIVING ME THESE THINGS!
Last edited by XCodes on Mar 5, 2014, 9:33:52 PM
agreed, too long an interval to be worth using, saw it and left it alone
State of Beyond Mechanic: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3441741

State of Blight Mechanic: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3470384

State of Harbinger Mechanic: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3473629
Even reduced to 48 its still too much just to do the corpse fire damage that Infernal blow basically does.
Spoiler

Not to mention gathering corpses without an Avian Retch or Necro messing with you.
SSF since ~OB
Last edited by stonespeak on Mar 8, 2014, 5:13:58 AM
Storm Call / caster / nuker Scion, currently level 30 ish, still in normal.

Using it is impossible. It requires 1: Massive number of charges and 2: multiple corpses. In other words, by the time you've created a situation to use it, you've already killed all the things you wanted to use it on. A skill that requires you to kill a crowd of monsters in order to kill a crowd of monsters is not exactly useful.
A much cooler idea than actual gem, unfortunately. I tried it once, realized it was absolutely pointless unless heavily invested in Detonate Dead already, and dropped it like a rock.

Even if you are, and one corpse explosion is enough to kill a whole pack, this would still be very underwhelming in comparison to Fireball or Spark.
Ancient and unwise, SSF only since 2012
Bug: Tooltip damage displays "Main Hand deals x-y damage" and is based off main hand weapon damage.
"
Rhyse wrote:
Storm Call / caster / nuker Scion, currently level 30 ish, still in normal.

Using it is impossible. It requires 1: Massive number of charges and 2: multiple corpses. In other words, by the time you've created a situation to use it, you've already killed all the things you wanted to use it on. A skill that requires you to kill a crowd of monsters in order to kill a crowd of monsters is not exactly useful.

+1

I think this skill has problems in its very intrinsic mechanism, even lowers the soul to 24 per use cannot solve this. It would be better to change it to a, say, "chain corpse detonation" skill - a corpse's detonation can trigger another one's explosion in a certain radius. Enemies killed in this way get bombarded to another position. (Even a boss can be designed to use this modified skill)
Two-handed - Mop
Dual Wield - Slippers
One-handed & Shield (close combat) - Brush & Basin
One-handed & Shield (ranged) - Hair Dryer & Mirror
Main-hand & Off-hand (evil witch) - Sponge & Soap
Might be more useful as a short-duration buff that detonates nearby corpses or something. As it stands, meh. Without a leveled Desecrate I find it pretty questionable.
I just got this mod on my shield and wanted to make use of it:

I decided to try out Vaal Detonate Dead supported by Empower and Enhance. We're talking about a level 93 marauder that is designed to be a barbarian shaman. He's dual EK totem and quintacurse. Firstly, his detonations don't seem to be doing any damage and I didn't think this would happen because the damage isn't coming from him; it's coming from the corpses. Secondly, even in the case where I can get this to do damage, the skill is highly impractical due to it requiring so many souls that I don't even get much opportunity to use it before an area is cleared. I understand that it's designed to save for a boss situation, but even then, I need to see its effectiveness. Am I wrong in that I should be able to use this skill with dual totem?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info