Don't really understand the mentality behind the Vaal Orb.

With RNG being such a hugely visible issue and the stockpiling of currency unless endgame crafting, why was an orb added that literally only caters to those who could afford to build two of an item?

If you don't know, once you use a Vaal Orb, you are done with all currency on an item. Basically, if you roll something bad/undesirable, you get to toss said item out the window and start over. I've spent about 70ex on my chest and it isn't even chromed right (7k:1 odds). The Vaal Orb is basically a non-option. I would never risk that much and I don't think others would either.

As a result, the Vaal Orb is just another orb that is going to be stockpiled. The exceptions are gems and easy to acquire uniques.

This orb is the epitome of the problem in this game yet here it is. Why would such an orb be pushed through?
Last edited by Terrornoid on Mar 5, 2014, 2:51:10 PM
"
Terrornoid wrote:
With RNG being such a hugely visible issue and the stockpiling of currency unless endgame crafting, why was an orb added that literally only caters to those who could afford to build two of an item?

If you don't know, once you use a Vaal Orb, you are done with all currency on an item. Basically, if you roll something bad/undesirable, you get to toss said item out the window and start over. I've spent about 70ex on my chest and it isn't even chromed right (7k:1 odds). The Vaal Orb is basically a non-option. I would never risk that much and I don't think others would either.

As a result, the Vaal Orb is just another orb that is going to be stockpiled. The exceptions are gems and easy to acquire uniques.

This orb is the epitome of the problem in this game yet, here it is. Why would such an orb be pushed through?

They will probably be helpful during the start of the leagues. You might want to toss a vaal on a white item and see what happens.

Just like alchs are nice in the beginning. Alch those ammy and rings!
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Because GGG take player feedback seriously.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/811152
Shop closed until further notice. Check out my Dominus musical tribute instead:
https://soundcloud.com/hackproducer0815/dominus
1) top down item sink
a) more stable economy
b) more rewarding loot
2) new top tier itemization
a) more to chase
b) mirror-incompatible
3) additional map difficulty

"

How did you come to that conclusion? Vaals can only be used once per item. Once their gem use dies down they will be used on maps, uniques and rares, probably in that order.
Want to Fix the Economy, Bad Loot, Trade and Legacy PvP? pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/548056
Open Letter to Qarl on Crafting Value pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/805434
Biggest Problem with Mapping: Inconsistent Risk to Reward pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/612507
Last edited by Veta321 on Mar 5, 2014, 2:57:51 PM
"
holocaustus wrote:
Because GGG take player feedback seriously.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/811152

Pretty much yeah.
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Terrornoid wrote:

This orb is the epitome of the problem in this game yet, here it is. Why would such an orb be pushed through?

They will probably be helpful during the start of the leagues. You might want to toss a vaal on a white item and see what happens.

Just like alchs are nice in the beginning. Alch those ammy and rings!

A for effort, but theres a few problems.

Vaal orbs only drop in Corrupted Areas, which have an uncommon spawn rate, and drop at around a Chaos's rarity. They may as well be exalteds with the RNG double stacked like that. They aren't common enough like Alchs to be used in the way you suggest.
"
Veta321 wrote:

How did you come to that conclusion? Vaals can only be used once per item. Once their gem use dies down they will be used on maps, uniques and rares, probably in that order.

Stockpile charan's 3rd sword. Spam Vaal Orb. Sell the one that rolls fire leech for a fuckton.
IGN: Smegacore
"
Veta321 wrote:
1) top down item sink
a) more stable economy
b) more rewarding loot
2) new top tier itemization
a) more to chase
b) mirror-incompatible
3) additional map difficulty

"

You make good points, but they only reinforce the problem; the Vaal Orb is just another orb for high end crafting. The map difficulty may have some relevancy, but who has the gear for that other than those who are already capable of crafting endgame gear?

I came to that conclusion because the Vaal Orb is going to be stockpiled, due to the points I made, like every other currency is stockpiled. I said the only reasons "average joes" have to use them are Gems and easy-to-acquire Uniques.
"
Terrornoid wrote:

This orb is the epitome of the problem in this game yet here it is. Why would such an orb be pushed through?

It's a poor man's orb to create fun and interesting effects on gear we might otherwise not use, or have enough currency to improve.

I don't get what's hard to understand about this item.

VI
"
Terrornoid wrote:

A for effort, but theres a few problems.

Vaal orbs only drop in Corrupted Areas, which have an uncommon spawn rate, and drop at around a Chaos's rarity. They may as well be exalteds with the RNG double stacked like that. They aren't common enough like Alchs to be used in the way you suggest.

I think Vaal orbs can drop anywhere. Only Vaal gems can drop from the chests in the corrupted areas. Thereofore, the drop rate should be the same as chaos, and not rarer because of where they spawn. At least that is how I read in to it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info