The polar opposite to PoE starvation style

D3 is actually quite good these days, as the polar opposite to PoE starvation style, but where it may even be more unlikely to get perfect items than in PoE.

While waiting for the 1.1 patch I have been playing D3 seriously for the first time since i quit not long after the release, and you know what - it stole my attention. When you have been swamped in the PoE no reward zone for months of farming, it feels good to feel an upgrade is right around the corner.

See, they have created their game as a true self-found players dream. Uniques are bound to account, and their item rolls have been smart rigged so that drops are more likely to be good and match your character. That is not something that benefits people who flip items, gear through trading, or by benefactors. It is the domain of those who play the game and all that they have is more directly proportional to their effort in killing things in the game.

D3 is more difficult than PoE. PoE has always been easy to play, the abilities of monsters have always been straightforward and did not involve as much player skill and reaction as it did number crunching. You will die much less in PoE than in D3 unless you go weakling difficulty.

In PoE things are still unwelcoming to players for no good reason, whereas in D3 all the systems are welcoming, you are not frustrated by the basic functionality of the game. Things simple work the way they should.

The itemization has always been pure garbage in D3, but quite honestly they have added a lot of much more interesting items lately, many of which are overpowered for certain playstyles, but not in a game-breaking way. Still, monsters can be scaled in difficulty and rewards to point where the game gets harder than PoE will ever be. Items in D3 are now interesting and they also scale according to level, so an old level 8 unique can now roll with level 60 stats if found at level 60.

PoE rules in depth, and the true downfall of D3 is the lack of unique characterization. Another major issue with D3 was that AH was the gotomode of acquiring items, and that has now been changed. No more AH lurking alldayeveryday and waiting up for late auctions. All in all, Diablo 3 is getting to be a good game, and PoE has much to learn as they are about to experience when their player numbers dwindle as many will disappear to play RoS when they find out that is it quite entertaining now, even though not a very serious game in comparison to path of exile which is no lifer or gtfo.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Mar 4, 2014, 10:10:41 PM
"
Crackmonster wrote:
D3 is actually quite good these days, as the polar opposite to PoE starvation style, but where it may even be more unlikely to get perfect items than in PoE.

While waiting for the 1.1 patch I have been playing D3 seriously for the first time since i quit not long after the release, and you know what - it stole my attention. When you have been swamped in the PoE no reward zone for months of farming, it feels good to feel an upgrade is right around the corner.

See, they have created their game as a true self-found players dream. Uniques are bound to account, and their item rolls have been smart rigged so that drops are more likely to be good and match your character. That is not something that benefits people who flip items, gear through trading, or by benefactors. It is the domain of those who play the game and all that they have is more directly proportional to their effort in killing things in the game.

D3 is more difficult than PoE. PoE has always been easy to play, the abilities of monsters have always been straightforward and did not involve as much player skill and reaction as it did number crunching. You will die much less in PoE than in D3 unless you go weakling difficulty.

In PoE things are still unwelcoming to players for no good reason, whereas in D3 all the systems are welcoming, you are not frustrated by the basic functionality of the game. Things simple work the way they should.

The itemization has always been pure garbage in D3, but quite honestly they have added a lot of much more interesting items lately, many of which are overpowered for certain playstyles, but not in a game-breaking way. Still, monsters can be scaled in difficulty and rewards to point where the game gets harder than PoE will ever be. Items in D3 are now interesting and they also scale according to level, so an old level 8 unique can now roll with level 60 stats if found at level 60.

PoE rules in depth, and the true downfall of D3 is the lack of unique characterization. Another major issue with D3 was that AH was the gotomode of acquiring items, and that has now been changed. No more AH lurking alldayeveryday and waiting up for late auctions. All in all, Diablo 3 is getting to be a good game, and PoE has much to learn as they are about to experience when their player numbers dwindle as many will disappear to play RoS when they find out that is it quite entertaining now, even though not a very serious game in comparison to path of exile which is no lifer or gtfo.

You only feel this way cos D3 was even worse at upgrades prior to Loot 2.0 and thus you are starting out at a much lower base gear level. I haven't gotten any upgrades in D3 even with the new patch so..
IGN : Ericaa
My Store! /108685
My Rain of Arrows Evasion build guide! https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/791798
Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/samfishersam
I'm excited for Loot 2.0.

My brother is more casual than I am and despite trying many times, could not get into PoE. Too hard and no fun for him.

So D3 V2.0 is right up our alley.

I cant play until I'm home, but everything I've read looks very very good. Depending on how we go over the next 2 weeks, we may even get RoS.

However, I am ALSO super pumped for PoE 2.0. Mostly because of the Character reset. I need it because my play styles simply capped out. I have to reformat my Shadow for loot grinding. So that I can use him to grind loot for my other Shadow that's for fun and not loot grinding, and for my Templar too, which is made only for Glacial Hammer fun and nothing else.

tl;dr - D3 v2 and PoE v2 are booth very exciting for me and I look forward to enjoying one without trying to shit on the other.

..... unless Loot 2.0 is as shit as D3 Vanilla was... then I will shit on D3.
You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world,
and there’s still going to be somebody who hates peaches.
"
linkstatic wrote:

You only feel this way cos D3 was even worse at upgrades prior to Loot 2.0 and thus you are starting out at a much lower base gear level. I haven't gotten any upgrades in D3 even with the new patch so..

Eventually upgrades are gonna be extremely scarce as well since it is a natural distribution..

It is more that the game has been shifted towards actually playing the game, and had interesting new items added that i like. Itemization, while nowhere near PoE level, is great now. It matches the more casual style of D3 very well.

You will get upgrades when RoS hits though, all the old gear will be outdated at 70, which is kind of like a ladder reset in some says. Is great for coming back a while.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info