DD support gems advice/opinons

so, i decided to roll a DD character due to desecrate and i'm having a blast.
the sad thing is that i rarely use desecrate though since the build turned out to be really flexible due to the various buffs fire damage has recieved lately.

i'm still lvl67, and so far it's a walk in the park, but now i think it's time to settle down for my actual links.

first question:

stat wise from passives and equip i have:

+51% elemental damage
+32% area damage
+126% fire damage
+80% burning damage
+82% untyped damage (from 661str and doon)

also have +60%radius from passives+gear

pretty much this means that for initial explosion i have:

+291% damage, or 3,91*0,18=~70% of mob's life

and for burn i have

+339% damage, or doing ~88% of intial damage/sec burn

i'm using

for this one, and i can't decide if going for:

pen-ll-dd-conc-burn chance
pen-ll-dd-burn chance-prolif

1st setup gives me a +30% radius which is somewhat lacking, along with a 115,5% of base life initial hit and another 100,1% of base life/sec burn which is quite good as damage even vs bosses and stuff, but main problem is kinda limited area

2nd setup gives me a +60%radius, as well as a 44radius! proliferation, which is quite literally even further from my screen usually but does only 70% of mobs life initial+~62% /sec

pen can't leave, ll COULD leave and be replaced by conc but i'm afraid for my survivability, because apart from ~4k life+500es (mind you my next 6lvls i get another +52% increased life) i don't have anything else.

second question:

i've been using so far

but given time, i may need to actually put a geofri's for desecrate.

from what i can tell, this will also boost my searing bond from ~7100 to ~8300. Downside ofc is that i will lose quite a bit of hp (will go for searing-burndamage-desecrate-empower)

worth it?

thnx all for input

edit:
my gear so far:
Spoiler

and my build, going to continue the circle of life now:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAnEDxgQHBLMFWwYOCfYSaRQgFE0UcRVQFxwZLhmFGjgabB8CJIskqiWtJ-0pTyqNMZ42xTbYNuk62DrhPAU8LT0PPV9G10kbUEdSU1cNY_1xeXrmfLt99YKbgziHZYgbi4yQVZeFl5WX9Jwtna6ezZ_fogCmV6cIpzCnhK-3tz7E9sWKxq7SIdR82CTZYdrd4XPjauQi52rsOOxV7SDvfO-F8B_yRfNx893-Cg==

Last edited by shroudb on Feb 17, 2014, 1:47:41 PM
i have only lvl80 generalist fire templar with incinerate as main and DD as 'lets party' type of skill

so it is not a pure DD build but build that i always have backup for single targets, targets that are running around/flickering/leapSlamming (like that boss spider that is simply annoying to face as DD)

i dont use LL (EB+AA+Cloak of Defiance + potions +4k hp/3k mana == enough of a buffer)

prolif also.. i do not know, just dont feel right when holding that buttons makes entire screen explode anyway. for this build i consider it simply an effective waste of time - however this is probably the highest possible burn source in the game (considering how absurd monster health gets in 75+ maps). i simply never wanted to play with DD+burn. typical reason to go burn - reflect - does not apply to me (yet) due to AA and even huge packs exploding in reflect maps are barely doing anything

what is probably obvious: double curse (flamability + ele weakness) makes A DIFFERENCE but i guess this is obvious

it so happen that i also use searing:

that trap is there because i have no empower but it deals good enough dmg and allows for some 'backup' traps and kiting (nice synergy with AA chill effect)
"
sidtherat wrote:
i have only lvl80 generalist fire templar with incinerate as main and DD as 'lets party' type of skill

so it is not a pure DD build but build that i always have backup for single targets, targets that are running around/flickering/leapSlamming (like that boss spider that is simply annoying to face as DD)

i dont use LL (EB+AA+Cloak of Defiance + potions +4k hp/3k mana == enough of a buffer)

prolif also.. i do not know, just dont feel right when holding that buttons makes entire screen explode anyway. for this build i consider it simply an effective waste of time - however this is probably the highest possible burn source in the game (considering how absurd monster health gets in 75+ maps). i simply never wanted to play with DD+burn. typical reason to go burn - reflect - does not apply to me (yet) due to AA and even huge packs exploding in reflect maps are barely doing anything

what is probably obvious: double curse (flamability + ele weakness) makes A DIFFERENCE but i guess this is obvious

it so happen that i also use searing:

that trap is there because i have no empower but it deals good enough dmg and allows for some 'backup' traps and kiting (nice synergy with AA chill effect)

well, burn+dd doesn't make screens explode (yet^^), it makes them die enjoyably slow, it takes 1-2sec for them to die.

i also use the searing for reflect and my flamblast at lvl16 atm is doing 1300damage/charge with a ~0.18charge time. not perfect, but enough for me to reliably kill annoying things that try to run away (even with conc, the base +30%radius i have left leave it pretty beastly in size).

i don't have free points to boost my mana for aa/mom, so that isn't an option for me, that's why i keep a rotp with a purity of fire in it as my alternate shield if i ever have trouble with reflect (will boost my fire res to 89% or 99% during flask)

but yeah, dd-burn +searing is usually enough for reflect mobs.

i don't like using double curse in this setup simply because of the prep time:

fighting a boss i have to curse, desecrate, searing bond, dd. it is alredy starting to be cumbersome, adding another thing in the mix will only make things slower imo.
i used to have second curse on CwDT - so no prep time needed. can go with both curses there no problem. but i realized that i need it only for toughest mobs with fire resists, for all other situations stuff just dies fast enough

because i do not use desecrate now i use incinerate-to-the-face to kill single stuff like bosses

i also have flameblast but this one IS prone to reflect and while it kills everything on the screen radius is so huge that ive not once hit a hidden reflect mob and that hurt. so i use it rarely and lately almost never

typical rotation is: drop a searing, start inicinerating. when first mob dies - DD

desecrate + DD would be faster but i simply do not have lvl18+ desecrate and my dex is low anyway

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info