Multiple Account Myth - SOLVED!

Hey guys, I think there needs to be either an answer or a discussion regarding the creation of multiple accounts in attempts to get a higher chance of getting into beta.

Also, what if (and this IS the case for me) said user lives with roomates who are also wanting to get into the beta?

If they make an account using my same wifi connection, will i NOT get one if they do? and vice versa?

Do more accounts = more chances to get in?

Thanks in advance!
(oh, and I wouldn't even bother asking if I didn't also believe a LOT of other people are either wondering if this is true, or assuming it is. Also i have read about certain people doing this on purpose)

---SOLUTION---

So, as it would seem, the multiple accounts issue is still somewhat of a mystery, unless explained to the point where exploitation would become obvious.

FURTHERMORE If it isn't clear to you on how to exploit this system....
DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT!!!!

Those who are devious enough to exploit the system, will in fact benefit from it while the rest of us have lowered odds of getting in due to the incline of possible accounts to randomly choose from.

Let me leave you on this note:
Please PLEASE do NOT make multiple accounts, I honestly cannot express how unfair this is to those of us who sit alone with one account waiting patiently.

"
Chris wrote:

By the way, when the signup date is the same as the join date and there are no posts, that doesn't mean that that user is a duplicate or someone who doesn't follow the game. There are tens of thousands of people who signed up and haven't logged in again since their initial signup. They still read the forums and want to be in the beta.

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, wouldn't it be a Merry Christmas?
Last edited by DarkWestern on Sep 16, 2011, 9:27:22 PM
I would hardly be suprised of people are doing as you suggest. But considering the numbers, I doubt it will matter much in the long run. I do NOT make multiple accounts. that just means I have 1 shot in...millions? as opposed to 1 shot in say 1 quarter million if I made 4 accounts. Whatever. I'm more concerned about the people that apparently are getting several keys from the random generator. I personally think that once you get a key, your name should be taken out of the list. Now, that doesn't stop people with several accounts getting more than one, but it would at least reduce the number of duplicates and let those of us without a key have a *slightly* better chance at getting one.

At least, that's my opinion.
the problem is that it is fairly easy to make multiple accounts.

IP's can be changed.

2 accounts using the same IP doesn't mean its a multi.
2 accounts using different IP's doesn't mean its not a multi.

Those that are stupid and just create lots of accounts with similar names and the same IP address get banned.
Those that are smarter won't.

Just because it't possible and undetectable if done right doesn't mean you should do it.

I do not have more than one account and despise those who do.
The way GGG is responding to this issue makes me worry a lot about future hacking in the game. They have told us making extra accounts does not help get access and people should not do it. However almost daily we see people getting invited through the timer who are clearly multi account makers. GGG has yet to publicly put their foot down on the issue and stop it. they have been very slow to react(if at all) to the issue.

If this is an indicator of what to expect when the game is released expect hacks to be RAMPANT.
Softcore(default) A quiet night at home with some lotion and some internet p0rn.

Hardcore a series of wild one night stands with any hot trashy girl you can find(no protection!)

One is safe and boring the other is adrenaline filled and exciting and might kill you!

Dont be safe and boring.
"
LSUfootball wrote:
The way GGG is responding to this issue makes me worry a lot about future hacking in the game. They have told us making extra accounts does not help get access and people should not do it. However almost daily we see people getting invited through the timer who are clearly multi account makers. GGG has yet to publicly put their foot down on the issue and stop it. they have been very slow to react(if at all) to the issue.

If this is an indicator of what to expect when the game is released expect hacks to be RAMPANT.

I've been looking through the forums for as much information for how GGG is stopping these actions.

Would you care to link some of these posts for me?
"
LSUfootball wrote:

There actually has been a lot of chat behind the scenes about this issue, and what, if anything, can be done. It has to be handled in a very technical and specific way though, else stopping a small handful of people from having a couple extra chances may significantly impact a portion of the general userbase.

I believe in time one of the methods so far discussed will be utilized to create a better situation.

Currently there are mechanisms in place to stop certain types of multiple accounts from counting more than once, but clearly they aren't perfect. This issue has nothing to do with hacking however or response time to such things, because this issue, despite it being slightly annoying to those that don't have beta access, is not significantly impactful.

In my experience, GGG's response time and community PR has been some of the fastest I've ever seen, and probably THE fastest for an indie company without 24/7 multiple lead support.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
"
zeto wrote:
"
LSUfootball wrote:

There actually has been a lot of chat behind the scenes about this issue, and what, if anything, can be done. It has to be handled in a very technical and specific way though, else stopping a small handful of people from having a couple extra chances may significantly impact a portion of the general userbase.

I believe in time one of the methods so far discussed will be utilized to create a better situation.

Currently there are mechanisms in place to stop certain types of multiple accounts from counting more than once, but clearly they aren't perfect. This issue has nothing to do with hacking however or response time to such things, because this issue, despite it being slightly annoying to those that don't have beta access, is not significantly impactful.

In my experience, GGG's response time and community PR has been some of the fastest I've ever seen, and probably THE fastest for an indie company without 24/7 multiple lead support.

So you are telling me their inability to stop this issue says nothing about their ability to solve the issue of people hacking? So something every single person that comes to this website can do, and do easily has defeated them. I am supposed to believe they have the ability to disrupt hacking? They have had a month to fix it. Yet it is still going on. Will it take them this long to fix a dupe or a hack like that? This has been a major issue for the community here yet its gone on unchecked for a month.
Softcore(default) A quiet night at home with some lotion and some internet p0rn.

Hardcore a series of wild one night stands with any hot trashy girl you can find(no protection!)

One is safe and boring the other is adrenaline filled and exciting and might kill you!

Dont be safe and boring.
Last edited by LSUfootball on Sep 16, 2011, 12:27:13 AM
"
Sureiya wrote:
the problem is that it is fairly easy to make multiple accounts.

IP's can be changed.

2 accounts using the same IP doesn't mean its a multi.
2 accounts using different IP's doesn't mean its not a multi.

Those that are stupid and just create lots of accounts with similar names and the same IP address get banned.
Those that are smarter won't.

Just because it't possible and undetectable if done right doesn't mean you should do it.

I do not have more than one account and despise those who do.

+1 to this guy. I feel the same way.
to increase my chances to win i don´t do that kind of crap
I simply ask to all my friends,those who are and those who are not interested in this game to create an account.
is better than creating 100 ghosts acounts
"
LSUfootball wrote:
"
zeto wrote:
"
LSUfootball wrote:

So you are telling me their inability to stop this issue says nothing about their ability to solve the issue of people hacking? So something every single person that comes to this website can do, and do easily has defeated them. I am supposed to believe they have the ability to disrupt hacking? They have had a month to fix it. Yet it is still going on. Will it take them this long to fix a dupe or a hack like that? This has been a major issue for the community here yet its gone on unchecked for a month.

If I make an account with IP1 called Account1 and another with IP2 called paperclipmaster... you cannot possibly tell that they are the same person. There is no technology on the planet that could, and no company can stop that. Even if you use a hardware hash, I can spoof that easily. If player1 makes an account called John with IP1, and player2 also makes an account called John10 with IP2... if you purge John10, that's wrong. If you disallow player2 from making John10, then he makes John10a, and the multiple account users will follow suit. If player1 makes 5 accounts with IP1... they already have a system to deal with that.

Hacking attempts are a TOTALLY different thing. You can detect malformed packet attempts. You can detect external query attempts. You can use 3rd parties to professionally hack your system (which GGG does.) You can scan for exploits, and you can scan for dupes.

These techniques are not possible to utilize with accounts, and are the reason I stated what I did about the differences between response times. The concern has been discussed, but there are no foolproof response options, all options have collateral damage.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
Last edited by zeto on Sep 16, 2011, 10:28:57 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info