Sony servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

Self-found/cheap: Which of these two for 80-90? (Caution: Contains traces of text.)

Before I switch to HC, I would like to grab the level 90 softcore achievement.

Right now, I have two level 80 self-found characters in Domination, and I'd like to try and get to 90 with one of them (solo). I'm not fanatical about SF, so "cheap" works too, but I'd prefer not to spend a lot of time on trading. Combined, my wealth in currency is perhaps 3-5 exalted, so basically nothing (this looked better before I unsuccessfully burnt 500 jeweler orbs on an attempt to 6S (not link) a chest. Yes, lesson learned).

Anyway, the two characters are a 2H run-of-the-mill physical Spectral Throw/HS scion who is pretty shabbily geared (no 5L), but did fine so far. It's been a relatively forgiving build so far. I'd definitely have to invest in a better weapon than this, though:

Spoiler

... and she probably needs a nicer chest too. Both cost more than I have.

The other character is a fairly standard summoner life build (was headed for CI until the mid 70s, but I kept getting decent life gear and no ES gear, so I switched her around, burning all refund points and some regrets). The summoner does have a 5L chest and a Saffell's Frame, max resists (80%), above-zero chaos res, 3.3k HP, 600 ES (will grab EB eventually, but need to level AA up some more and see about better mana reg, or alternatively do something about her AC), and she also has some 120 IIR.

I haven't done any maps higher than 70. My experience so far is that the summoner can handle pretty much anything (to this point). I didn't even see the museum bosses before they were dead, whereas my scion fled right out of the room. :) The patch tremendously helped my summoner.

My problem is that I don't know what 71-75 maps (this "should" do until 90, I am fine with it taking some time and don't need to do it in a week) are like. With no/low investment in gear, which of those two characters would be more suited for the journey from 80 to 90?

My feeling is that it'll be the summoner (Queen's and Sidh are available for snapshotting if need be, which so far wasn't the case), but I wanted to get some thoughts from people who do now what higher level maps are like. If trading is unavoidable, I also feel that the summoner is better prepared to actually find stuff. On the flip side, I like the ST scion's mobility and relative sturdiness.

TL;DR for the MLP generation: 80 to 90 mostly self-found, ST/HS scion or summoner?

summoner will have a much easier time. 72 maps will be not fun for scion.

Also be prepared for the insane grind past ~85ish. Maybe 2%ish for a 73 map here so 89 is where I stop.

Anarchy/Onslaught T shirt
Domination/Nemesis T shirt
Tempest/War Bands T shirt
Last edited by reboticon on Feb 5, 2014, 3:10:39 PM
Is HS heavy strike?

I recommend Double strike. I also recommend not using uncommon acronyms.
"
reboticon wrote:
summoner will have a much easier time. 72 maps will be not fun for scion. Also be prepared for the insane grind past ~85ish. Maybe 2%ish for a 73 map here so 89 is where I stop.

Thanks! The summoner it is, then. I'd just like to get one character to 90 to "finish" the SC achievements, though by the sound of it this will be a longer road than I hoped. Good chance I'll burn out or dive right into the new league. But I'll give it a try. :)
Comparison : at 90, a good rolled 76 map gives 3% exp ):
IGN : Ericaa
My Store! /108685
My Rain of Arrows Evasion build guide! https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/791798
Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/samfishersam
"
linkstatic wrote:
Comparison : at 90, a good rolled 76 map gives 3% exp ):

I admit, I have some second thoughts about the level 90 goal now, though I'd still like to "get it out of the way". But my idea to do this before the next league (81 now) is probably unrealistic since I can't play all day. I guess I'll see how far I get this month and then decide if I start the Nemesis-successor a bit later or bench the level 90 achievement until later.

My concern is that once I get into HC, I won't be able to enjoy SC anymore, since that had happened in D2, Sacred, and TL. Since I'm not super competitive, the achievements are my "mini game" that keeps the game interesting.
"
Mivo wrote:
My concern is that once I get into HC, I won't be able to enjoy SC anymore, since that had happened in D2, Sacred, and TL. Since I'm not super competitive, the achievements are my "mini game" that keeps the game interesting.

I certainly lost interest in my SC characters once I started playing Nemesis.

I just checked some prices on standard and turns out that a lot of my previous characters had "legacy" items like rainbowstrides, or just good 5L lioneyes etc. and now they just rot. Not to mention that all of them aren't even specced since the last respec.

So my point is, try your hardest now, because chances are that once you start playing HC you wont feel like spending much time grinding on a standard.
LLD BOTW spark/arc caster guide http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1133731
I know next to nothing about summoners, but my ST Scion managed to get to 90 playing solo & self-found gear (a bit better than that maul, admittedly). Going from 89 -> 90 was a pain tho, and I reconsidered several times during the process. Dying twice in the same Dark Forest map to devourers was really demotivating... -_-

The thing that kept me going was the ugly 89 number. I managed to grind the last 50% of the level quite fast by doing 75s & easy Shipyards. RNG map drop was kinda generous.

Good luck!

E:
Prob. summoner is a better choice, since ST would require a bit better gear.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Feb 6, 2014, 5:56:10 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info