Dual Totems with Minions...dps seems low late game

So I was just testing various totem possibilities in a character I haven't played in a while but got to level 70 to use an armor I have RGGBB.

Results seemed fairly low:

Remote Mine-Spark-Spell Totem-Faster Projectiles-Fork 250 dps (Remote Mine level 19, Faster 19)

Remote Mine-EK-Added Lightning-Faster Projectiles, Totem 1700 dps. EK level 19, Added Lightning level 19.

Arc by itself in the Mine with totem did about 600 dps not sure what supports help really.

All of this tested in docks solo fine but go group in a level 69 map and the effect is a bit underwhelming compared to almost any other build out there. Arc seems to work for some people but not sure how to set that up.

I have about 150% spell damage on gear and this is the build at level 70.

Anything that can make this viable? Maybe storm call? I don't have one levelled at all.

Last edited by raziekeljr on Feb 4, 2014, 9:31:13 PM
"
raziekeljr wrote:
So I was just testing various totem possibilities in a character I haven't played in a while but got to level 70 to use an armor I have RGGBB.

Results seemed fairly low:

Remote Mine-Spark-Spell Totem-Faster Projectiles-Fork 250 dps (Remote Mine level 19, Faster 19)

Remote Mine-EK-Added Lightning-Faster Projectiles, Totem 1700 dps. EK level 19, Added Lightning level 19.

Arc by itself in the Mine with totem did about 600 dps not sure what supports help really.

All of this tested in docks solo fine but go group in a level 69 map and the effect is a bit underwhelming compared to almost any other build out there. Arc seems to work for some people but not sure how to set that up.

I have about 150% spell damage on gear and this is the build at level 70.

Anything that can make this viable? Maybe storm call? I don't have one levelled at all.

First thing I noticed is that your Ethereal Knives was linked with Added Lightning Damage, instead of Added Fire Damage. I understand that lightning is commonly desired for shock stacking, but you should rely on Spark for that. The reason being that Spark does many times more damage than the support gem, and if you rely on Spark and use Added Fire Damage, your Ethereal Knives DPS will spike dramatically with each shock stack. You might want to ditch that ALD.

As to Arc, you can use Lightning Penetration and Added Lightning Damage. Quality on LP gives increased lightning damage. Besides that, there aren't many ways to buff it.

You must also keep in mind that you're going for minions and using Spell Totem. Minions consume a good amount of skill points, and you haven't even allocated all of their nodes, which is a huge mistake. The first thing any summoner should do is get every minion node possible. Spell Totem reduces the damage you deal drastically, especially since they have a 30% reduced cast speed.

One last thing to note. There are only a few builds that can kill Piety in Merciless in under five seconds. These are summoners, RFers, Blenders, Dischargers, and Critters. Summoners and RFers being the most prominent, as the damage is dealt automatically.
Thanks for the tips. I guess would have to focus on summoning to be viable as I tried again last night in Orchard map group and unless stack occurs spark is underwhelming or I don't know how to increase damage. At least a searing bond guy could melt some things quicker but it seemed like a chore. But yeah, spark unless a stack happens is really slow. I only have one 5L so really can't do a spark and an EK, just needed one to work ok. Just not sure now if I can be survivable dumping next 10 pts into summons, it might take more to reach em and I'd be over 80 by then.
"
raziekeljr wrote:
Thanks for the tips. I guess would have to focus on summoning to be viable as I tried again last night in Orchard map group and unless stack occurs spark is underwhelming or I don't know how to increase damage. At least a searing bond guy could melt some things quicker but it seemed like a chore. But yeah, spark unless a stack happens is really slow. I only have one 5L so really can't do a spark and an EK, just needed one to work ok. Just not sure now if I can be survivable dumping next 10 pts into summons, it might take more to reach em and I'd be over 80 by then.

Just keep in mind that summoners are the absolute best class to play PvE, but are the absolute worst in PvP. Summoners are completely useless in PvP due to how they work.

1. Damage is dealt by minions, so you can't leech as effectively as required.

2. Links are focused on minions, so your damage will be nothing to other players, especially since so many nodes are spent on minions.

3. Lower stats, on average, than other players. This usually means less health and energy shield.

4. Much lower life and energy shield due to starting area and passive node allocation choices.

5. Minions grant flask charges to enemies, and this is the only way to get charges besides crit builds with flasks that gain charges on crits. This means enemies can chew your minions endlessly to regain flask charges to kill you.

6. Finally, enemies can single you out and use things such as Flicker Strike to kill you and ignore your minions. Your minion cloud may be OP against NPCs, but is nothing to PCs.

Summoners are the best PvE build due to the fact that they do not require gear. They can easily use level one white items and still survive, where no other build can without severe risks. Sure some enemies attacks pierce, like the snakes in Act III, but if you have enough life and armor, it does practically nothing. Some of it is chaos, and that makes resistances and amethyst flasks very useful.

The only other downside to a summoner is that so many people find them boring. They are great builds if you want to save on currency, but horrible if you want immediate satisfaction.

Edit:

As to getting the points. You might as well grind areas for experience and items to buy Orbs of Regret. That's the fastest method for you.
Last edited by Natharias on Feb 5, 2014, 10:13:25 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info