Micro Freezes/stuttering with certain skill effects

I have tough time choosing whwre to create this thread but i decided to go here and not effects forum feedback because i think its code/programming/hardware problem.

I have problem wiht microlags nad microfreezes when:

- effects is cast first time after map loading (but its understandable)

- some combinatiopns of effects and mobs - for example its most visible one is heavy strike and yellow mobs (ono normal mobs this is non existant or barely noticeable) - when i hit yellow mob game litrally stops for miliseconds.. it just 'frezes'.
The same effect is when goatmen shaman casts SHOCK NOVA (or big totem boss) - game get hiccup. Its not framerate loss - its STOP for miliseconds (i cant explain better).

I dont think its my computer because it happens almost always and game runs flawlessly exluding this freezes... i have 120 fps in Prison - yellow mob + heavy strikes = freeze, freeze, freeze...

It looks like game must load this effect every time from hard drive or smth. I dont know. Im not programmer...

There is more like this (when game runs 60+ fps and some effects or mobs will cause microstuttering pof freezes - its most times random yellow mobs) but this two examples are very visible and this is SO ANNOYING. I play meele marauder atm and every heavy strike on yellow mob = microfeeze.

PS. I remember early beta have this problem (soemthing with caching shaders i think?) abut it dissapears in later patches. Now its back in full force in Open Beta.

My rig is: Athlon 2x3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM and ATI HD4850. I dont think my rig is guilty here because i run this game almost always with 60fps or more and this issue that i descripe happens regardless of mob density and my current fps.

:///// plz fix... :/

PS. i just check again. Heavy Strike in normal mob = nothing. Heavy Strike on yellow mob = freezes. I think the problem is the yellow glow that they generate... or smoth like that. Also i get thisa miocro freezes when i approach yellow mob (hes offscreen but i get this micro frezees - so its like 'spider sense of danger' or smth :)
Im in Ship Graveyerd cave with average fps 100-125fps (i play without vsync).

Im sure that i dont have this issue in late beta.. i odnt know what you changed but revert plx. :/
Last edited by Kabraxis on Jan 28, 2013, 8:37:02 PM
Last bumped on Nov 22, 2017, 2:25:54 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
BUMP so maybe someone will read this.. its still there, still extremely annoying.
I have noticed this as well. The FPS drop can be a problem and has killed me a couple times.
IGN: FemmeFatality
I checking this extensively and it is happening only with certain combination of effects (for example yellows with vitality aura can freeze hard).

Lets hope that GGG can fix this because its 100% not my computer fault. :/
Could be because your rig is very outdated.. I run a HD 7970 and i7-3770k and notice no fps drops.
No its not. Its not outdated for this game ebcause i run constant 60fps (only problem i get are this lag-spikes/freezes and i dont care that you dont have fps drops BECAUSE ITS NOT FRAMERATE PROBLEM and i dont have fps drops either - game just stoops for miliseconds.. its very different than framerate drop/choppy animation) with shadows and FSAAx2 s oplz dont tell me about my rig necause im 100% aware what my computer is capable of and i 100% sure that i dont need new one.

Game dont preload effects of skills and its problem. No only i have lag spikes on skill use (for example summons have this problem too).

Last edited by Kabraxis on Jan 28, 2013, 7:35:35 AM
Maybe its related to client mwemory leaks? I noticed that after 30 min of play PoE eats almost 2GB of RAM.
Let be honest.. there is no way for game like this to eat 2Gb of RAM in normal way. Its memory leak.

I think this freezes i get maybe are syptoms of memory leak - game has run ouy of memory and must use hard drive for caching spell efects.

I dnot know is this the reason for freezes but GGG please fix memory leaks anyway.

I found this quote from Rory (June 2012 i think):

"
The skill stutter problem when you first use skills is because we're not yet able to preload some of the effects they use (The glow of the skeletons, for example). If it is very slow on your PC, I'd suggest just casting the skills when you first start the game - They should be loaded into memory for the rest of your session.

Its not working... after some time (without changing maps) it seems that game remove these effects from memory and freezes can occur again. I bet its connected to memory leaks somehow.
Last edited by Kabraxis on Jan 28, 2013, 8:36:23 PM
I died thrre tiems today because freezes on Heavy Strike use. I dont know what problem this game has but with this freezes is almost unplayable on higher diffiulty levels.

May someone from GGG have some attention to this topic? Why i have 60 fps and when i hit Heave Strike (for example) on yellow mob game stops for a second?
Its just ridicolous.

Its really that hard to preload efects that my char can use when i load the map or smth?

Its not only HS but its most visible and frustrating on HS... Also (and im sure this is important) it not happens on all maps/tilesets.
Dunno why but this game code is seriously fucked up.

Last edited by Kabraxis on Jan 31, 2013, 10:15:10 AM
also looking for a fix or some info, rig is 16 4400m dual core 3.2ghz turbo with 1.5 gb video memory dual graphics. Slow down when im groups or lots of shit happening at once.
4 years later , no fix !!! hahaha what a braindead pile of sh1t devs eh
FX6300 @5Ghz
2x4GB A-data XPG
GTX680 @1200Mhz Core
SanDisk Extreme Pro 240GB

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info