Why Arguments Against AH Fail -- And A Suggestion

For those people crying that there shouldn't be an AH, stop being blind hypocrites. Here are a few points you should recognize before jumping on the "this game doesn't need an AH" bandwagon:

1. The vast majority of you use poe.xyz for the exact same reason you would use an AH--to buy/sell items without having to deal with the flawed trading system this game tries to support. You must be either stupid or in denial if you don't think it's essentially the same thing.

2. Just because D3 failed at it doesn't mean every other game that tries will fail too. This is pure idiocy, through and through. The reasons D3 failed are legion, but the primary failure of its economy was the existence of the Real Money AH--not the gold AH--along with impossible RNG for anything halfway decent. Thus, all the best items ended up on the RMT AH and would never see the light of the gold AH in most cases, which further inflates their gold value to impossible levels. Even worse, Blizz actively allowed the buying/selling of gold through the RMT AH for awhile. They basically gave the RMT botters the key to the kingdom. Simple solution: DO NOT add a Real Money AH to this game. Just use in-game currencies for it.

Core to this argument is the fallacy that "If D3 did it and failed, we shouldn't have it here." That would be like making a new hybrid gas/electric car, watching it fail miserably on the market, and they say, "Oh, well. I guess we shouldn't make cars that use gas or electricity. After all, it didn't work on that one." Any child could see how foolish this outlook is.

3. An AH would justify the currently useless Trade Chat and keeping it segregated from Global Chat. Without a good trade system in place, it's foolish to punish players for trying to make a sale in Global in the absence of a viable trading system (especially when they aren't actually spamming, but just posting short 1-2 lines every few minutes). Some people like poe.xyz, but I think it's a steaming pile of... you know where I'm going with this. Just be honest and remove the middle man. Make the AH in-game and save everyone a huge hassle.

If you want to keep the forum-style trading, fine, but at least put the feature in-game on the billboard by the stash and add a search function (based on desired stats and item type). Then they simply whisper the player (with their name linked by the item) to make the trade. This would probably be one of the easiest ways to retain the "barter" system people like about the game while making trading convenient and accessible. THEN you can justify the chat suspensions for posting it in Global, but not before. You can't expect everyone to follow the rules when you put them in direct opposition to the situation at hand. Not only will it never happen, but it's wrong to do so.

Hopefully some people will see the truth of it through some point they hadn't considered before. I have a feeling many people will remain in denial or self-delusion. Either way...

I. HAVE. SPOKEN.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Excellent.

We needed a new post about trading and AH, because we havent had one in days now.

Kudos.

I TOO HAVE SPOKEN.
1. Stop being antisocial
2. Stop being antisocial
3. Stop being antisocial

Yeah... now to speak to _____ to know if she sold my ring :)
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Allow players to buy/sell via offline trading on a poe.xyz (or similar). It would of made trading for me a hell of a lot easier in this game if I could do that.

Basically put your items in your shop here on the forums, use the format (i.e;) ~1 exa for the items, and boom.
I agree that current trade is worse as D3 ah
->more time consuming,ppl still flip,ppl still pay to win
Real issue is players who do not flip and trade most of day have not any chance to compete with 24/7 chat spamers

trade chat is spam spam spam

global chat is full of WTS WTS [I did It too and It was first time I sold something]
Because some ppl don't turn off global but most of them do it with trade chat

I use poe xyz myself

->Ah is outside of game
->forum is outside of game
->other 3d party are not in game
-> can't sell to ppl with different timezone
>Public party=wts wtb spam
and list of bad things about current trade goes on and on and on...
They say things like ''we plan to do something'' but from what i've read it is not''that good''

+1 for op
It is funny that ppl blame D3 ah/and real problem was only rmah
but POE have same issues+additional and worse
I feel pretty, Oh, so pretty,
I feel pretty, and witty and gay,
And I pity Any girl who isn’t me today!
Last edited by CAKE on Jan 3, 2014, 10:59:26 PM
Problem is not ah.
problem is RMT / Mirror and Shitty crafting oh sorry GAMBLING system
Squirrel is love, Squirrel is life.
I agree 100% that we could use a trade auction house like WOW (for instance). I did listen to the interesting interview of Chris the lead developer of this game if I'm not mistaken. He is well spoken and talked about a lot of things. When he got to the AH he basically said that he made it harder to trade so they wouldn't have to nerf the drops. ie- he said if you could just throw it up in an AH everyone would have more "appropriate gear" instead of a bunch of stuff in everyone's stash.

Although I appreciate his honesty about things and if I was a skeptic (which I guess I am to a degree) I'd think he was trying to sell more stash slots. Anyway, given my high opinion of the lack of pay to win in this game I'll give him a pass. But, personally I'll take the lower drops and an easy AH system where I don't have to negotiate with the idiots. If I hear another "give me a bid and I'll say no to whatever you say" I'll scream.

Chris.......you are wrong about the AH in my humble estimation - trading is so horrible it diminishes the enjoyment of this fine game. If you were telling the truth on the interview (and my $$ says you were) just lower the drop rate.

Respectfully yours......
The AH would make self found a buttload harder since, as the previous poster noted, drop rates would fall.

Why did D3 suck and drive everyone to the AH?? cos the droprate was terrible.

the lack of efficiency in trading is precisely why its possible to y'know.. actually find upgrades and get that thrill of reward. Ah hell, go read Skinner...

B.
The Preceding message contains discretion.
Viewer nudity is advised.
Well like he said in the interview, current system is made to discourage trading meaning that you have to put much more effort to trade and it sure show and sure works for me as I hate trading with the current system (just like the D2 system) so I don't trade at all but used the AH a lot in D3 because...you guessed it...it's far easier to trade via an AH.

Also the fact that the game would have to be balanced around the AH so lower drop rate, harder game, etc AND getting bored much more quickly since you will get top-end gear much quicker with an AH.

Also, AHs belongs in MMORPGS; only crafting materials and lower tier of gear belong there. Take WOW as an example: you don't see top tier gear at the AH because otherwise, it would be way too easy and you would get bored quickly as fuck.

The best gear requires you to play the game and put efforts. D3 try to fix that with BoA but that's kind of fail imo, D3 isn't an MMORPG, D3 isn't WoW.

BoA/BoP and AHs doesn't translate well from MMORPG to ARPG.

I could go on and on but I'm too tired, sorry if my post isn't very elaborated.
Tech guy
I always feel like they are defending the current trading system like ppl defending their terrible mistakes. its all excuses. they just cant get it Done, so they constantly say they did it that way on purpose in order to Bla bla bla bla......

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info