[1.0.6]CI Stormcall Build - Low Budget Endgame Build - 30k AoE DPS [FINALLY with VIDEOS]

Hello Exiles,

i began playing Path of Exile around 1.0.2 when Stormcall was added. Like most new players i was unaware of the forums and didn't knew about it's new release. I just found it at lvl 7 and loved it from the beginning. Calling thunder all over the screen was exactly what i was looking for.

>> You do NOT need a 5/6Link or an expensive unique to be able to play this build <<

Video & Gameplay
Spoiler

71 Strand Map: http://youtu.be/UcQMxdEVZE4
74 Maze Map - Double Boss: http://youtu.be/sq2SAUHfK1s
75 Necropolis Map - Enfeeble: http://youtu.be/FSVXPEn-MnA
76 Academy Map Boss - hard modshttp://youtu.be/LNT7WMVKtOQ
Dominus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_ARdHfHZ9A

I am still leveling this first char and hit 85 on the day the first version of this build was released. I am playing all maps up to 74 solo and finished some 75-78 maps in party. (Update: Soloed a 76 Rare map including the boss on lvl 87)
For farming purposes i mainly run Merciless Dominus, which is a safe kill every 6 Minutes (including the run).

I am able to cast 7 markers of Storm Call while each hit does 298 - 5699 (~3073) AoE Damage (35k AoE DPS debuffed - see below). As i play NonCrit i use the passive Static Blows and Arc Totem with Elemental Proliferation for shock stacking mobs and cast conductivity for increased damage / shock stacks.

Damage and Survivability Stats - Regular Equipment

Starting with nothing (this was my first char) i am not yet rich in any way. I found and sold some items to get my current gear but its definitely not highend. This means you can easily outreach my current DPS/ES with the right gear, but you do not have to, to be able to play endgame map content.

- 75% to all Elemental Resistances
- 100% Chaos Resistance
- 8k Energy Shield
- 30k DPS average AoE DPS
- 12k AoE DPS Stormcall (uncursed/nonshocked)
- 1k DPS Arc Totem (uncursed/nonshocked)
- Permashock to enemies (30%-90% increased damage for the whole party)

Cursed DPS:
- 19k AoE DPS Stormcall (nonshocked)
- 1.2k DPS Arc Totem (nonshocked)

1x Shock/Cursed DPS:
- 25k AoE DPS Stormcall

2x Shock/Cursed DPS: >>This is standard<<
- 30k AoE DPS Stormcall

3x Shock/Cursed DPS: >>This is party play<<
- 35k AoE DPS Stormcall

All images are selfbuffed only (Clarity / Discipline / Purity of Elements)
Spoiler

Defence

StormCall

Arc Totem

Current Gear
Spoiler

Only mandatory gear is an Eye of Chayula (10 to 20 Chaos) and Dream Fragments (1.5Ex) if you spec into CI. You can even play without the Dream Fragments, but it will feel a lot better if you get it.

Skill Tree and Explanation
Spoiler

I needed to arrange on Damage/Energy Shield a lot and you will do so, too.
I often rearrange my skills if i get different pieces of gear, which makes this build very versile. You can easily skill out of Damage nodes and into EnergyShield and vice versa if you need some adjustment. The build scales with your findings but never leaves you behind if you get unlucky

The other passives that need to be adjusted are Castspeed and Mana Regeneration. Because Storm Call has a 1.5 Seconds trigger (starting after you set the first marker) you need to reach different castspeed milestones to achieve a new marker.

Normal:
4 Markers = 1 Starting mark + 3*(0.5 sec cast time) ~ 0% Castspeed
5 Markers = 1 Starting mark + 4*(0,375 sec cast time) ~ 34% Castspeed
6 Markers = 1 Starting mark + 5*(0,3 sec cast time) ~ 67% Castspeed
7 Markers = 1 Starting mark + 6*(0,25 sec cast time) ~100% Castspeed
8 Markers = 1 Starting mark + 7*(0,214 sec cast time) ~134% Castspeed

To afford to cast permanently you need enough mana regeneration to cast a 18 Mana Spell, that will probably be linked to heavy mana modifiers (~50 Mana per Cast)

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMBAuMFWwdjB6UIZxFQEZYVUBXXFvMabBzcHaod2R8CIcMmPCepKU8snCymLL8tHy9vL500CjbFN2Y62DvhPAU9X0NURKtGcUbXRwZJsk3YT79SU1WuVmNXK1fhXcZfamBtZ71tGXC7c1N2EX1Tfq9_xoIQgpuDCYaui4yMdo0Zj0aPpo_6kNaTJ5uhnYCdrp_foqOnCKcrtAy1BLaGu9bAVMG0wcXB88Nt0NDXhtgk2RPb592M3fPfsOAS4XPhiOL35CLk7OaB7BjsOO0g7m_vfPll

Auras
Spoiler

I run Clarity (mandatory), Discipline (Highly advisable as CI) and Purity of Elements (depends on your resistance gear). If you get enough mana and mana reserve nodes you could try haste in exchange for purity to get extra cast speed.

Spells and Links:
Spoiler

Storm Call:
Storm Call - LifeLeech - Concentrated Effect

Do not laugh, this is all what is needed to play maps. Sure a 5L or a 6L will boost your DPS highly, but it is not mandatory to get this equipment to play map content.
For more links you have to check your playstyle and passive arrangement. If you reach a new marker with faster casting, always link faster casting first. If your AoE is to low due to concentrated effects use a increased area of effect. Added Lightning Damage is a huge DPS plus and lightning penetration helps, too.

Arc Totem:
Arc - Spell Totem - Elemental Proliferation - Lightning Penetration (Drop LP if you only have 3L)
By skilling a total of 32% AoE Increase your Elemental Proliferation gem will shock a quarter of the map per hit.

Movement:
Lightning Warp - Faster Casting - Reduced Duration

This spell is insanely powerful at higher levels and at higher quality. It won't ever become your mainspell (Even if you can clear lowlvl maps with it, as soon as you are able to play 75+ Maps ;-)), so don't use Gemcutter Prisms onto them, but as soon as these gems reach lvl 20 you should trade them for 20 Quality lvl gems and level them again. Your speed will excel nearly every other class/movement skill and the usefulness of lightning warp in combination with Stormcall is undescribeable. "Cast and Warp" improves your clearspeed drastically, because you have no downtime by running somewhere and not being able to cast while running.

Survival Autocast:

Supersafe:
Cast When Damage Taken - Decoy Totem - Summon Skeletons - Enfeeble
You can work around this. An enfeeble curse instead of nova boosts your survivabilty while it decurses your conductivity. A Decoy Totem kills your arc totem which lowers your dps (shock stacks) but helps you survive.

Without damage loss:
Cast When Damage Taken - Molten Shell - Summon Skeletons - Coldsnap
Neither your totem, nor your curse will disappear by this build which gives you maximum damage at the cost of survivability.
Feel Free to experiment what feels best to you.

Curse:
Conductivity - Increased Area of Effect - Reduced Mana
You do not need the Increased AoE and the reduced mana gem (Except your manapool is short running three auras). You can also socket an "Increased Duration" or whatever feels best for you.

Auras:
Clarity - Discipline - Purity of Elements - Reduced Mana
Use and level clarity everytime you can (except there is a hypothetic scenario in which you would not be able to cast anymore). Clarity is your most important aura and you should level it up to 20.
Discipline is very useful, but not mandatory to play this build. I would not know a better 2nd aura to run on this build, but feel free to surprise me ;-)
Purity of Elements is just a gear pusher, which allows you to play Elemental Weakness maps easily. If you get powerful resistance gear you do not need it, but i think i made a good deal focusing on ES/ManaReg/Damage mainly on gear.

Gearing tips
Spoiler

Only mandatory gear is an Eye of Chayula (10 to 20 Chaos) and Dream Fragments (1.5Ex) if you spec into CI. You can even play without the Dream Fragments and use "Dispels Frozen Flasks" instead, but it will feel a lot better if you get it.

Easy 5Link (1 Chaos)
An easy method to achieve a super cheap 5L is to use the unique item Rims Gaze (1 Chaos). It has a built in Concentrated Effect, which is a needed gem for your mainskill and allows you to get a 5L very early at the cost of a better headpiece.http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Rime_Gaze

Good Wand (1 Chaos)
Moonsorrow is a cheap wand, that has up to +70% Lightning Damage and a nice +10% Castspeed. You can buy a Moonsorrow wand for an Alchemy Orb, which makes it a cheap but good item. While i used Moonsorrow i linked it with my lightning warp, which gave me an additional chance to blind on warp and resulted in a slightly higher survivability.http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Moonsorrow

On all other slots i recommend resistances/energy shield/cast speed/mana/int with a focus on High Energy Shield.

Perfect gear to aim for:
Spoiler

>Stats are taken from poemods.com<
To give you an idea which rolls on your gear is the best achievable, i thought i would add a dream equipment featuring only perfect rolls (no double rolls included - let's keep it simple) Do not think you will ever be able to reach these stats on even one single item. Perfection is not achievable - it just leads the way to heaad for.

This section is not completed and will be updated shortly.

Wand:
Spoiler

Prophecy Wand or Opal Wand
Implicit 20% Spelldamage roll
Prefixes:
+74% Spelldamage
+34% Spelldamage and +25 Mana
+68 Mana

Suffixes:
+22% Castspeed
+30% Lightning Damage
+69% Mana Regeneration

Spirit Shield:
Spoiler

Fossilized Spirit Shield (DPS) or Harmonic Spirit Shield (ES)
Prefixes:
+135 Energyshield
+120% Energyshield
+74% Spelldamage

Suffixes:
Depending on your needs:
Resistances/Int/ManaRegeneration/MaxMana

Helmet:
Spoiler

Hubris Circlet
Prefixes:
+72 Energyshield
+120% Energyshield
+56% Energyshield and +17% Block and Stun recovery OR +68 Mana

Suffixes:
+50 Intelligence
Depending on your needs:
Resistances (45% maxroll for each resitance)

Leveling tips / Skill tree during Lvling
Spoiler

>>Take a look at the gearing tips - There are super cheap uniques, that no other build really needs, which give you a big midlvl advantage <<

I used Raise Zombies for leveling. They are extremely powerful tanks early on and hold monsters in the place to make your storm call hit perfectly. For 2-3 early Skillpoints you get a huge minion boost, that will help you until ~70- Other players in this thread mention they used a Spell Totem with Summon Skeletons, which should work fine aswell.

This is what the first 25 Skillpoints looked like for me
21 Points used - 9 free for Survivability
Spoiler

Unallocated skillpoints can be used to push survivability (Life>ES or Resistances)
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMAAuMHYwelLJw9X0SrSbJSU1WuVytr23YRfRiCEI-mwFTBtN-w5OzmgeyK

At Level 31 you will be able to use a concentrated effect gem, which will boost your main spell DPS by 50% (at lvl 1) at the cost of 30% AoE reduction. Its your choice how you handle this. You can either spec into some Increased AoE nodes or focus on mana regeneration to use an increased area of effect gem.

42 Points used - 8 free for survivability

This is the time where you decide if your gear is good enough to spec into CI or stay on live. I suggest you do not switch to CI if your Energy Shield is below 2.5k unless you have capped resistances already.
61 Points used - 9 free for survivability

FAQ
Spoiler

How do you deal with reflect?
To be honest - while i was leveling i just died to reflect. I was new to the game and often noticed the reflect tag AFTER i had put 3-4 maerkers in a 20+ group of mobs, which resulted in a self onehit. After i learned what reflect looks like, i died much rarer and at the moment i am able to play elemental reflect maps without greater problemes. 75% resist and 5k ES+ is a good way to know, you are ready to play reflect maps (if your damage does not outstand your defence by far).
My advice for reflect maps: Change your increased aoe/faster casting support gem with lightning penetration or item rarity. It helps to controll your damage.

tl;dr: Everything except double reflect works fine

LifeLeech without VaalPact / Zealoaths Oath? Are you some kind of stupid
I am sure i am some kind of stupid, but it works for a reason. After you set your first Stormcall marker there will be a 1.5 sec intervall without any damage or lifeleech. If you teleported into a whole lot amount of mobs this is the time you have to survive. After 1.5 seconds your insane damage kicks in and you regenerate about 2k ES/Hit mob.
If this regeneration would be instant your ES would be spiking hard every 1.5 seconds (from near to death to full in a milli second). By not leveling Vaal Pact and not putting any kind of quality on the lifeleech gem your lifeleech will timespan over the next 1.5 seconds which counters new incoming damage.
This means you need to survive the first 1.5 seconds and after that it will be fine - even if you fight a minute or two. E.g. i killed the Jungle Valley Map Boss yesterday (thousands of spiders) without any big problems. The main trick was to hold position in a corner and just permacast ;-)

Furthermore i never saw a need for Zealoath's Oath and didn't miss it so far. But hey feel free to experiment.

tl;dr: Do NOT skill Vaal Pact!

Bandits

I took 8% resist in normal, but if i had to chose today i would just kill them all for the additional skill point.

I am having Mana problems. What should i do?
A good way to solve your mana problems is gear with % Increased Mana Regeneration / + to maximum Mana.
Your base mana regeneration, which is buffed by %increased Mana Regneration nodes and equipment depends on your maximum Mana and your Clarity manareg. If you can not afford to permacast for atleast 7.5 seconds (without flasking), you should definitely try to upgrade your gear.
If you can't afford gear upgrades, you can spec into some % increased mana reg / % increased base mana nodes.
Another way to fix mana problems is to drop the "Faster Casting" gem. I did not used the faster casting gem (which gave me +1 Marker) until i was about lvl 75 and linked my StormCall with LifeLeech - Concentrated Effect - Added Lightning Damage instead (add a Lightning Penetration if you already own a 5L or a 4L Rims Gaze).

Feel free to ask any questions. If there is some interest i will provide leveling tips and passive trees for your progression. I would be thankful for any hints improving this build.

igName: Naryanya
Last edited by Tarwardir on Jan 30, 2014, 3:16:47 AM
Hi, if you have time, can you describe how you put passive points during the mlveling?

Thanks!
Passive Points during lvling have been added to the guide. Instead of the ususal 30/50/70 points used i used just the core build with 21 / 42 / 61 points and give you the advice to adjust the remaining points into survivability according to your current gear.
Since this is a first character / low budget build it feels better to let you chose yourself according to your items, instead of setting just fixed prebuilds, which may not suit to your situation :)
Although you have an arc totem for shock stacks i would take static blows. With conductivity and 4% base crit storm call would have a 27% chance to shock.
Reason for this: With the delayed trigger you can put 4-8 casts on top of a rare/boss. The fast cast succession than guarantees shock stacking and increasing damage. With 8 casts you average 2 shock stacks.
I'ld rather spend 4 points on that instead on two 8% mana at the scion start and two energy shield delays.
"
Tarwardir wrote:
Passive Points during lvling have been added to the guide. Instead of the ususal 30/50/70 points used i used just the core build with 21 / 42 / 61 points and give you the advice to adjust the remaining points into survivability according to your current gear.
Since this is a first character / low budget build it feels better to let you chose yourself according to your items, instead of setting just fixed prebuilds, which may not suit to your situation :)

Thanks for this!
I'll try to give my opinion on your build later.
Very nice build. Looks fun and easy to play/understand. That's what I've been looking for. :)
I have had my fill of words and tearful farewells. I desire blood and cries of our enemy.

~Gannicus
hy, bandits??
ElysiumGate POE Klán:
http://www.pathofexile.com/guild/profile/91153

IGN: RedDuh
hmmmmm? You use lifeleech but you didn't take zealot's oath?
I have had my fill of words and tearful farewells. I desire blood and cries of our enemy.

~Gannicus
"
Bada_Bing wrote:
Although you have an arc totem for shock stacks i would take static blows. With conductivity and 4% base crit storm call would have a 27% chance to shock.
Reason for this: With the delayed trigger you can put 4-8 casts on top of a rare/boss. The fast cast succession than guarantees shock stacking and increasing damage. With 8 casts you average 2 shock stacks.
I'ld rather spend 4 points on that instead on two 8% mana at the scion start and two energy shield delays.

Thanks for this feedback. It definitely seems like a good idea to do so, although i needed the
16% Base mana for a higher mana regeneration according to my gear. I will definitely try this with better gear and share the feedback with you.
Last edited by Tarwardir on Jan 4, 2014, 8:12:38 PM
I updated the build with a FAQ.
Including: Bandit Choices, Dealing with reflect and most important: Why Vaal Pact sucks playing Stormcall

I tried to record a dominus run yesterday, but my computer lagged to hard recording. If i find a better program i will add some vids, too :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info