So, time for some extra mods perhaps?

So far, the OB has been good. The new content is enjoyable, the tweaks and balance changes feel justified (in my experience thus far at least) and server stability seems to be A-OK with some very minor lag and the rare D/C.

But the chat. Oh god, the chat.

It's becoming clear we need more people willing to moderate global chat. From blatant trolling and spamming, to some players turning global chat into Path of Russia (or Poland, whatever), it has already become an ordeal in and of itself.

No, "hide global chat" does not solve anything. It treats the symptoms, not the disease. So GGG, will we see some new moderators in the near future? I'd apply, but honestly, I'm prone to losing my cool when I see the same questions asked ten times within five minutes, or when people continue to trade in global chat when I urge them to use trade chat instead.

Also, wouldn't it be a good idea to encourage players to communicate in English? I cannot speak for everybody, but I know that personally I'm far more likely to help and socialize with players who at least TRY to communicate in English, no matter how broken it may be. Hell, at the end of the day, we could both learn something.

Anti-white knight disclaimer: If you're considering posting in this thread with the sole purpose of calling me racist, elitist or arrogant, please refrain from doing so. I will not indulge you and you'll only end up wasting your time.
Would anybody like some... POUNDCAKE?
"
Agilaz wrote:

Also, wouldn't it be a good idea to encourage players to communicate in English? I cannot speak for everybody, but I know that personally I'm far more likely to help and socialize with players who at least TRY to communicate in English, no matter how broken it may be. Hell, at the end of the day, we could both learn something.

I would like to hit on this for a second, as I've seen many people mention this very topic.

If you take a look at the "Where did you come from?" section, Path of Exile's community is like a melting pot. We have people from all over the world playing this game. There are 3 gateways - Americas, Singapore, and Europe. You can't fit all languages into 3 gateways.

People talking in different languages doesn't bother me, and honestly we shouldn't be culturally subjective solely considering how many people play this game from non-English speaking nations.
Last edited by Elynole on Jan 24, 2013, 5:01:41 PM
With regards to multiple languages being used, it might be nice if people can make their own channels to chat to their friends in (and not just whispers- I mean where 3 or more can talk at once.) If this already exists, then ignore me- I just am not aware of it.

You won't get rid of people speaking other languages entirely, because a lot of people don't speak english but are still put on english speaking servers. It would be wrong to ban people just for having a different native language. ;)

More mods would be very nice, though.
I'm not a n00b- I'm a Online Game Floor Examination Expert.
"
Agilaz wrote:
So far, the OB has been good. The new content is enjoyable, the tweaks and balance changes feel justified (in my experience thus far at least) and server stability seems to be A-OK with some very minor lag and the rare D/C.

But the chat. Oh god, the chat.

It's becoming clear we need more people willing to moderate global chat. From blatant trolling and spamming, to some players turning global chat into Path of Russia (or Poland, whatever), it has already become an ordeal in and of itself.

No, "hide global chat" does not solve anything. It treats the symptoms, not the disease. So GGG, will we see some new moderators in the near future? I'd apply, but honestly, I'm prone to losing my cool when I see the same questions asked ten times within five minutes, or when people continue to trade in global chat when I urge them to use trade chat instead.

Hide global chat is always an option.
We already do encourage players to communicate in English, at least until better localization options are in the game.
"
Elynole wrote:
"
Agilaz wrote:

I would like to hit on this for a second, as I've seen many people mention this very topic.

If you take a look at the "Where did you come from?" section, Path of Exile's community is like a melting pot. We have people from all over the world playing this game. There are 3 gateways - Americas, Singapore, and Europe. You can't fit all languages into 3 gateways.

People talking in different languages doesn't bother me, and honestly we shouldn't be culturally subjective solely considering how many people play this game from non-English speaking nations.

It's kind of the point I'm trying to make. I live in Belgium - we have 3 official languages, none of them being English. Yet, I happen to speak Dutch, Greek and English fluently, with a very good understanding of French as well as the ability to speak it, and a basic understanding of German and Spanish.

So technically, seeing those all the different languages doesn't bother me per sé (not even the ones I DON'T understand), but I'm rather putting it forward as measure towards general improvement of the social aspect.
A few extra mods wouldnt hurt i guess, i dont know how the timezone coverage is at the moment. I would volunteer but it requires alpha membership :)
"
pneuma wrote:
Hide global chat is always an option.
We already do encourage players to communicate in English, at least until better localization options are in the game.

So you're saying that I should stop partaking in any interesting discussions because of a select group of people flooding or otherwise disrupting chat? That hardly seems fair.
"
Misguidance wrote:
With regards to multiple languages being used, it might be nice if people can make their own channels to chat to their friends in (and not just whispers- I mean where 3 or more can talk at once.) If this already exists, then ignore me- I just am not aware of it.

You won't get rid of people speaking other languages entirely, because a lot of people don't speak english but are still put on english speaking servers. It would be wrong to ban people just for having a different native language. ;)

More mods would be very nice, though.

I would never advocate bans for people speaking a non-English language. I WOULD try to find ways to encourage communicating in English however, no matter how broken or terrible one's English may be.

Let's be honest, if somebody's English skill was good enough to find, explore, download and install PoE, chances are they can also communicate on the most basic of levels. If not, that's fine, ask for people that speak your language in global chat.

Then friend them, and continue your talk through whispers in whatever language you wish. Everybody happy?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info