PLEASE help me : Templar Melee Summoner

I only started playing recently and I'm completely lost when it comes to efficient build.
I really like the Templar look and voice, and the overall strength/intelligence concept is pretty cool to me.

I wish to make a summoner. Yet I don't want to just sit back and watch while my minions do all the butchering.
So I wish to fight along my minions, and preferably in melee.
I also want my melee to be efficient, not just there for me to pass time.

Melee could also mean any close range attack

So what would be an efficient build combining Minions + Melee?
What sort of melee skills should I pick? What passive skills?

I want both my melee and Summons to be pretty efficient.

Every tips are welcome :)

PS : My weapon of interest are staff and Shield+Mace. So I'm more inclined any build including one of them (or a combination).
My question also applies to what kind of melee/other skill gems I would require.
I'm working on a similar build right now. I'm actually going for the same weapon setup, Mace/Shield & Staff. The approach I'm using is to build my INT and summons first, and use elemental attack gems to increase my effectiveness in melee. So far I've found I really have to build up INT and focus on Mana regen/limit, by doing this, I've managed to completely forego standard melee attacks; if a fight lasts long enough for my mana to deplete, I just fall back and let my summons soak up aggro and damage as my mana regens.

My current is still very young, my previous build made it to level 29 before the wipe. It's definitely workable, it just takes some experimenting to fine tune it.

Good luck!
I see, so you put the focus on elemental. I believe you won't focus on staff/mace passive skill then. More like overall elemental passive skills.

I was thinking about a fairly interesting shield/staff combo.

I take necromantic aegis and some shield skills. When I want my minions to tank more, I switch to mace+shield.
If I want to personally deal more damage, I switch to staff. I took minion instability. My minions will be weaker, but they will explode more often.

I would switch depending on the situation.

As for the elemental, I focus on ice. And use some Ice AOE If I need to stay a bit away.

What do you think?
bump?
I would like to play with this kind of build too but I am total noob at skill building...
I am trying to do the same, so this is the start of my build

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBAW8CcQLjBLMFWw9UES0UTRhdGjgo-iycMoky0TQKN0c8jkRyRUdJslfJV-JakWKsaqxrrGvbd-V8g30YgseESITEinSOvpBVoW2iAKeEqH2paLiTzfrT-9ad6-7sOOyK8B8=

I plan to play it with a 2H weapons. I would like to max life and shield. Minion are here for DPS but I want to max my survavibility as well.

Last edited by theseb1er on Jan 25, 2013, 4:48:43 PM
Hey guys,

I'm doing this as well. My original plan was to start as a melee and shift into a summoner as I leveled since summoners had a pretty slow start. My main goal was survivability at high levels and being able to kill efficiently solo and in groups.

Here's my build right now at level 41:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAnEEswVbDH0PVBB_FE0WbxmFGjgabCSqKU8qmDKJNulEckbXSOdVxlfid-WExIp0i4yPRpBVm6GdrqIApqynCKeEqWi4k8aez2XQ0NkL4XPjauQi6-7sOO0g8B_6gA==

Right now I'm debating what to do. I'm going to loot around through the bottom to pick up those minion nodes, then I'll make my way back up to the Witch tree via the right side to get Lord of the Dead.

As you can see from my spec I am currently using 2h melee to deal damage. For the future I am thinking of picking up Static Blows to Shock things, and/or going for Double Curse since I am already up there.

Let me know what you guys think.
Grouping is carebear mode. Add a "/players x" command a la Diablo II.
This is the build I'm going for in my attempt to strike the perfect balance between personal offense/defense and summons:

Passive skill tree build

I went staff because it is, in my mind, perfectly balanced between offence and defense. Also, after grabbing the summons and the Body and Soul passives, all the relevant skills are fairly close by and doesn't require that much of an investment. Looking forward to seeing the effect of Serpent Stance AND Pure Brutality together with Hammer Blows.

The build is designed to lay down some serious hurt while surviving just fine even if the summons gets destroyed. Points were tight, but I managed to cram in everything I needed and wanted for the build to work, which was all summon passives, all staff passives, and both Body and Soul sets.

Vital gems:

Raise Zombie (your army)
Summon Skeletons (use as shock troops)
Sweep (360 melee aoe)
Discipline (Energy Shield aura)

Since I'll be going melee alongside my summons I saw no reason to bother with the passive skills for auras.

Other gems of interest might be the elemental damage auras, and any nuke that you might want. Seeing as aoe is fairly well covered by sweep, I'd suggest a strong single target attack.

For the most part smashing things with staff and zombie is more than enough, but I recommend keeping a shield and a wand in your alternate weapon setup if you find you struggle in melee against a boss. In this alternate set I also recommend using Ice Spear, which will - due to zombies and skeletons keeping the boss' attention - crit a whole lot since you can stand far enough from the boss to get the 600% bonus on it.

Armor: Go for the "armor+energy shield" types. Especially after you've started investing in Body and Soul.
Weapon: Staff. All the way. Sweep is too good to pass up on anything other than the bosses that doesn't summon adds. In which case aforementioned tactic of wand/shield/ice spear might be adviceable.

If there's anything left hanging, don't hesitate to ask... clock just passed 7 AM here and been playing all night, so typing this out a little cross-eyed. :P
Last edited by Boozifer on Jan 27, 2013, 1:06:44 AM
Actually, before I hit the sack, here is a more achievable build using only 75 points:

Passive skill tree build

...since actually getting the full 111 points to spend can take a while.

I chose to cut down on the summons instead of the staff skills, but you could do it the other way around if you really want to. My reasoning is that in this build, the minions are bonus survivability (distractions) and dps, and easily replacable (just resummon), whereas the tanky pwnage of the staff-related sections is something I'd want as a baseline.

So any additional points to this build is just a bonus for summons.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info