"map chunk" crash on loading new area

It's happened 3-4 times now. It seems like it happens if I travel to too many separate areas in one session. Needless to say it's been making prolonged play extremely frustrating; I had to repeat the Act I boss twice.

I took a screenshot when it crashed just now but I guess I didn't hit print screen hard enough. I'll try and get another one. The game stays open but I get the error sound effect from windows, alt tab and its a little window talking about "map chunk" something or other.
"What a fool you are. I'm a god! How can you kill a god?! What a grand and intoxicating innocence! How can you be so naive?"
"
Graphic wrote:
It's happened 3-4 times now. It seems like it happens if I travel to too many separate areas in one session. Needless to say it's been making prolonged play extremely frustrating; I had to repeat the Act I boss twice.

I took a screenshot when it crashed just now but I guess I didn't hit print screen hard enough. I'll try and get another one. The game stays open but I get the error sound effect from windows, alt tab and its a little window talking about "map chunk" something or other.

Same thing keeps happening to me. Every 2-3 areas I go to the game freezes and I get map chunk errors, bad allocation errors, sound errors, etc. took me forever to beat act 1 cause of this. I hope we get some help because this is making the game unplayable for me :/
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Client.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 51006f3e
Fault Module Name: wrap_oal.dll
Fault Module Version: 2.2.0.7
Fault Module Timestamp: 4b04488c
Exception Code: 40000015
Exception Offset: 00048441
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.2
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 99ac
Additional Information 2: 4cd56b423dc8e44be18a457e1a6fd923
Additional Information 3: 82ec
Additional Information 4: 487bd99698865157a229f43eb5d9391e
"What a fool you are. I'm a god! How can you kill a god?! What a grand and intoxicating innocence! How can you be so naive?"

Last edited by Graphic on Jan 24, 2013, 6:26:26 PM
Same issue here. I have 4gb of ram. There seems to be this issue on alot of win7 32bit systems. (which i have) What I dont understand is that this game barely uses half of my ram.
This is primarily an issue with 32-bit Windows computers, however we are aware of this issue and are working to correct it.

Try changing your Texture Quality to Medium and seeing if there is any improvement for the time being.
Thanks, I'm glad you're working on it.

I think I found a temporary work-around (for me) that others might want to try.

Simply add -gc 1 to the shortcut command line.

My uneducated guess is that this makes it so only one area (i.e. the one you're in) is stored in RAM at a time. This means the instant loads you get when backtracking and going back to town are gone, but at least it doesn't crash.
OK maybe that didn't work. I'm getting sound file related crashes.

Yeah same here..had to repeat act 3..boss like 7-8 times.. :T and now in act 4 i cant progress.. =( because of it , hopefully there's a way to fix it..
Had same issue. Tried workaround suggested here: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/108634/page/1

No crashes or map chunk error since.
Last edited by FiendishWuMd on Sep 17, 2015, 11:03:48 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info