Constant Disconnections and Latency Spikes

"
Drakier wrote:
...Could be software on the PC filtering packets, taking too much time, etc...

I have no idea what that means. As someone else said, in another thread concerning the same issue, "I'm not a tester. I just want to smash stuff..." I'm not a technician, so I would need to know what software to check and/or what settings to change.

"
Drakier wrote:
...firewall...

I use Windows' built-in firewall. (Windows 7 Professional 64-bit).

"
Drakier wrote:
...or AV are common causes.

I use AVG Anti-Virus Free. Always have. Never had a problem with it before PoE patch 1.0.3.

So, what do I do from here? Or am I "beating a dead horse"?
Read My Links!: http://www.theamazonbasin.com/forums/index.php?/topic/121389-read-my-links/
I don't have my physical hands on your PC, so I can only "work" remotely. Because of that I can only suggest possible things to solve, and it is up to you to investigate and see if they cause problems.

Normally, that would involve completely disabling any antivirus and firewall on the system and see if it has any effect. Also trying new cables, etc. Check Resource Monitor and make sure your system isn't attempting to over-utilize resources.

Unfortunately because of the nature of PCs (and their owners), no two situations are usually alike, and it's not like a Console (xbox) where they're all the same and easier to troubleshoot. That's the nature of PC gaming in general. If you aren't a technician, I recommend you get better about working with your PC so you're able to self-help more.. because when it comes to PC Gaming, it's required... a lot.
I really appreciate your help. And I understand that "no two situations are usually alike" when it comes to computers.

When I say I'm not a computer technician, essentially that is true. There is much that I know about computers, but much more that I don't know. And what I do know is from having to work on my own, over the years. (I built my first computer back in the early 80s). I've purchased half-a-dozen of them since then and upgraded them all, including this one I'm using now.

However, there are a couple of things I don't understand, concerning this issue.

1. Path of Exile is the only program I have issues with. (Game software or otherwise).
2. The issue is only present during certain times of the day or night.

There are certain times when I can play PoE for hours and not experience the disconnections or lag spikes. Then, there are times when I'm disconnected frequently and the lag spikes are unbearable.

I've continued reading the stickies in this forum concerning disconnections and lag spikes. I may have found something that will help. (Although, I don't think it should be necessary to have to do it to play a computer game). I will test some things, over the next week or two (barring holiday events). If I discover anything that might be useful, I'll post it here.

In my honest opinion though, I'd really like to see GGG focus less on adding more and more content, and start concentrating on performance issues.
Read My Links!: http://www.theamazonbasin.com/forums/index.php?/topic/121389-read-my-links/
Well... that didn't take as long as I thought. Unfortunately, it did not work. Still, I will post the results. Hopefully, it will help GGG in determining what other problems may be causing these issues.

Last night I found the thread, Consolidated Technical Issues & Guides. Under the section, "Network/Connection Issues", I clicked the link General Network troubleshooting.

Step 1: Check that you have internet connectivity+DNS

Results:
Spoiler
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Perusoe>ping google.com

Pinging google.com [2607:f8b0:4008:806::1007] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 2607:f8b0:4008:806::1007: time=17ms
Reply from 2607:f8b0:4008:806::1007: time=17ms
Reply from 2607:f8b0:4008:806::1007: time=16ms
Reply from 2607:f8b0:4008:806::1007: time=16ms

Ping statistics for 2607:f8b0:4008:806::1007:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 16ms, Maximum = 17ms, Average = 16ms

C:\Users\Perusoe>

Step 2: PC Firewall/Antivirus problems

I have only one computer and I'm the only one that uses it. I do not use any internet security/shield/protection software of any kind, other than Windows' built-in Firewall and AVG Anti-Virus Free.

Step 3: Verify PC behavior

And this is where I thought I found something. I followed the instructions. I made sure my browsers and other programs were closed (whether they access the internet or not). I opened a command window, typed "netstat" and pressed the Enter-key. I didn't see 3 - 5 lines. I got a whole page full. Then, I remembered that I have gadgets running on my desktop. Some of them monitor network activity, some monitor the weather in my area, etc. To make sure I disabled them all, I did the following.

I ran msconfig.exe. I clicked on the "Services" tab and checked the box to "Hide all Microsoft services". Then I clicked the "Disable all" button. I clicked on the "Startup" tab and clicked the "Disable all" button. I clicked "OK" and allowed my system to reboot.

Back on the desktop, with no background programs running (including my anti-virus software), I started my mouse software. (I have to do this or my mouse operates at its maximum of 3500 dpi, which is too sensitive for my system). I then opened a command window and typed "netstat". This time, I only got 3 lines. I then ran WinMTR, without the game running. I let it run for about 10 minutes. In the "Worst" column, it never got above 65 ms (35 ms being the lowest). This is a good sign that PoE will run smoothly, from my experience. Of course, I did all this late at night, when I don't usually experience problems anyway. Still, I thought I'd try it during one of my problem times and see if it would help. It did not.

Today, Tuesday, December 24, 2013 at 4:30 PM EST, I ran msconfig.exe to shut down all unnecessary programs as described above. I started my mouse software. I ran WinMTR and then started PoE and logged in. I spent about 45 minutes clearing the Catacombs on Merciless Difficulty. During that time, I experienced continual lag spikes and two unexpected disconnections. When I finished clearing the Catacombs, I quit the game and stopped WinMTR.

Here are the WinMTR results:
Spoiler
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| XX.XXX.XXX.X - 2 | 2236 | 2195 | 8 | 47 | 3460 | 15 |
|XX-X-X-XXXX.XXXXXXXXX.XX.XXXXXXXX.comcast.net - 2 | 2267 | 2235 | 8 | 35 | 4305 | 12 |
|XX-X-X-X-XX-XXXX.XXXXXXXXX.XX.XXXXXXXX.comcast.net - 2 | 2253 | 2217 | 8 | 37 | 3465 | 11 |
|pos-0-4-0-0-cr01.miami.fl.ibone.comcast.net - 2 | 2278 | 2249 | 15 | 44 | 4463 | 17 |
|pos-0-6-0-0-pe01.nota.fl.ibone.comcast.net - 2 | 2247 | 2209 | 15 | 41 | 3465 | 22 |
|xe-0-0-0.bbr01.tm01.mia01.networklayer.com - 2 | 2257 | 2222 | 15 | 41 | 4341 | 19 |
| ae1.bbr01.sr02.hou02.networklayer.com - 2 | 2249 | 2212 | 42 | 69 | 4398 | 44 |
| ae3.bbr01.eq01.dal03.networklayer.com - 2 | 2275 | 2244 | 42 | 69 | 3486 | 44 |
| ae0.dar01.sr01.dal01.networklayer.com - 2 | 2251 | 2215 | 42 | 69 | 4396 | 44 |
| po1.fcr05.sr06.dal01.networklayer.com - 2 | 2244 | 2206 | 42 | 70 | 4396 | 44 |
|173.192.25.23-static.reverse.softlayer.com - 2 | 2265 | 2233 | 42 | 71 | 4493 | 46 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

At this point, I've done all I know how to do. I can do no more.
Last edited by Perusoe on Dec 26, 2013, 3:34:35 AM
Update

This is the last time I'm going to post in this thread, concerning this issue, unless it's to reply to someone's comments. I just thought you'd like an update.

Perfect gaming experience

• Wednesday, December 25, 2013 from 4:30 PM to 3:00 AM EST - No disconnections, lag spikes or animation freezes. Not so much as a "hiccup".
  • Thursday, December 26, 2013 from 5:30 PM to 2:00 AM EST - No disconnections, lag spikes or animation freezes. Not so much as a "hiccup".
  • Friday, December 27, 2013 from 8:30 PM to 11:30 PM EST - No disconnections, lag spikes or animation freezes. Not so much as a "hiccup".

Also note that I was playing with my computer running normally. That is to say, I did not run msconfig.exe as described above to shut down unnecessary programs. I also found it strange, that during this time, others were posting here about continuing to have connection problems and lag spikes.

Saturday, December 28, 2013 from 2:00 PM to 6:30 PM EST

I am experiencing the constant disconnections, lag spikes and game freezes again. Halfway through my game session I quit the game, ran msconfig.exe and shut down all programs and services other than Microsoft services. I ran PoE and resumed my game session. I continued experiencing the constant disconnections and lag spikes.

So, my question is, why was my gaming experience so enjoyable and flawless for three days and now it's back to the "same old-same old"? (That was a rhetorical question. Just something to think about).
Last edited by Perusoe on Jan 11, 2014, 6:17:19 PM
Update

Thursday, January 9, 2014 at 4:00 PM EST

I called Comcast to complain about my issues with disconnections and latency spikes while playing PoE. They scheduled an appointment for a technician to come out to my house.

Friday, January 10, 2014 at 10:30 AM EST

A Comcast technician arrived at my house.

• He checked my modem and the signal from the service pole to my modem. He could find no problems.
  • He allowed me to play PoE while he witnessed both, a disconnection to the Log In Screen and the latency spikes during game-play.
  • He checked my firewall and anti-virus programs to confirm that "PathofExile.exe" was "Allowed"
  • And he swapped out my Ethernet cable for a Comcast Ethernet cable (just to be sure).

Still, the issues persist.

Edit: Oh... and I forgot to mention, I printed out a copy of my results from WinMTR and PingPlotter for the Comcast technician to take with him.
Last edited by Perusoe on Jan 11, 2014, 7:24:29 PM
This blows, and I totally feel your pain. I have days where I have no discos, then days like TODAY where it happens every few mins to every few seconds. Beyond frustrating, and every time I quit for a while and come back...then it's fine until it randomly starts happening again. I think by now it's pretty sad to try and pass the buck off to hardware or ISP problems. I play many games just as the OP, and have these problems with none of them, nor with my downloads, etc. This is obviously a server side or in game issue, and it needs to be considered as such, instead of wasting cut and paste replies of how it's on the customer's end.
"
N_I_N_J_A wrote:
This blows, and I totally feel your pain. I have days where I have no discos, then days like TODAY where it happens every few mins to every few seconds. Beyond frustrating, and every time I quit for a while and come back...then it's fine until it randomly starts happening again. I think by now it's pretty sad to try and pass the buck off to hardware or ISP problems. I play many games just as the OP, and have these problems with none of them, nor with my downloads, etc. This is obviously a server side or in game issue, and it needs to be considered as such, instead of wasting cut and paste replies of how it's on the customer's end.

Totally agree with you. I'm still seeing the same issues over and over and when you play maps this become really frustrating and expensive. Until now, the only 'answers' I've seen is to check our connections, change ISP, put on a wired connection, check the firewall.... all things that simply negate GGG responsibility. And this is not correct at all toward a problem that it's not constant but random, and that happens ONLY playing PoE.

Sorry, only 'trying' to play PoE before giving up in frustration.
Last edited by waterflow on Jan 19, 2014, 11:22:57 PM
Update

Just before the technician left my house Friday, three weeks ago (see my previous post), he said Comcast was scheduled to do some maintenance in my area within 36 hours. He wanted me to wait a week to see if my issues cleared up. They did... for about two and a half weeks. And then it started again.

I called Comcast again Tuesday, January 28, 2014. This time they sent an "expert" technician to my house (this morning). He tested the cables and the signal, but found no problems.

He then proceeded to test the house electrical and found no problems. He tested the electrical at my computer and found no problems. Finally he tested the electrical at my modem and found "live voltage on the coaxial connection" where there shouldn't be any. Even though the modem is only a few months old, it turns out that it is defective.

The technician was impressed with my modem and thought the manufacturer made good quality products. It's just my bad luck that I was the one that received a defective unit.

I'm currently in contact with the seller to get the defective modem replaced.

(Thank you, Drakier for trying to help! )
Last edited by Perusoe on Jan 30, 2014, 1:37:52 PM
I'm glad you got it sorted out. There's nothing more frustrating than having an issue and not being able to solve it due to strange circumstances (like live voltage on coax). That's something that none of us would have been able to detect for you.

Glad you got a technician out there who knew what to test and was able to get it sorted for you. Hopefully with the replacement modem you won't have any issues. Good luck.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info