Slow/Choppy performance (And no Kiwi in my stash?)

Hi guys,
So far I'm loving the game and I'm very happy it's been finally released to the masses.
Unfortunately I need to report that the game is still running very choppy on my gaming laptop.

Me and my friend play on similar machines, and the performance on his is flawless, so it makes me wonder why is it that it runs so badly on mine.

My specs are:
Nvidia GT555M 2GB
8 Gigs RAM
CPU: Core i7 2670 QM, 2.2 ghz
Game installed in my SSD.
Virtual memory set to 12144 Megs

I'm really surprised to see that even if I run the game on the lowest settings this seems to do nothing, I can play other games like Battlefield 3 on mid/high settings 720p without any problems.
Diablo 3 on hi settings works just fine. Borderlands 2 on hi as well.

I updated all drivers, including sound, I'm really surprised that the game runs so badly, averaging less than 20 fps.

Any help would be immensely appreciated!

PS: I don't see my Bronze supporter Kiwi anymore, I'm sure you guys will put them back in there, but would be nice to have some official confirmation.

Thanks again! :D
i think i can help here since the GT555m card is generally an optimus card which means it can switch to using your nivida card or the intel video card thats on the CPU, i have the same thing with my GTX680M. All you have to do is before starting the game right-click the Path of exile icon on your desktop and click on "run with graphics processor" then click High-performance nivida processor

oh and you will have to do that every time you start the game, ive been un-able to set my nivida card as the default for this game, but its not really a big issue
Last edited by evilcaster on Jan 23, 2013, 8:23:12 PM
for your kiwi, press "M" in-game, this is the tab for the micro transactions.
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
IGN: Poltun
Thanks faerwin, I now have the Kiwi (I thought the Kiwi was placed in the stash! DUH! :P)

evilcaster: I know what you mean about the game always defaulting to the intel on-board card, I managed to set it to the 555m default through the Nvidia management tool.
Thanks for your help and tips though!

The game has always been running really bad since the closed beta, reason why I waited until the open beta to start. It's pretty sad though that now that the open has launched, the performance in my machine is still really bad, almost unplayable in populated areas.

I ran the game just now, highest settings and all effects at highest possible, runs exactly the same as with everything on the lowest setting, it's really baffling.

I never had any other (arguably much more demanding) games perform this bad :(
If you can't find your kiwi in your microtransaction stash (M), please let me know and I'll investigate further!
Balance & Design
Hi Rory,

Thanks for answering.
I did find the Kiwi in the end, I was just away from the game for a while and thought it was in the stash instead.

Unfortunately, the game is still performing terribly on my machine, while other very demanding games run just find at mostly high settings.

FPS, according to the graphs displayed when pressing F1 in-game, fluctuate between 4 and 28, some peaks here and there, but most of the time well under 20 :(
can you run

dxdiag.exe

and on one of those tabs in the panel that appear it should tell you what direct X version you have. then see if you can check it against your friends setup to see if theres any difference. i believe mine on Win7 is from november last year, though i cant currently check as im at werk.

also, which windows version. 7? 8?

edit: also can you notice any difference between running fullscreen versus windowed?
Last edited by ualac on Jan 23, 2013, 9:31:38 PM
Hi ualac,

Thanks for your reply.

I checked and I run DX11, updated on Dec 29th 2012, Windows 7 64bit.

For a second there playing in windowed mode stabilized the framerate to about 30, which made the whole experience much better.
Unfortunately after a few minutes it starts to fluctuate again.

It's not unplayable, but I know this PC can handle more than this.

Anyways, I'll continue tomorrow, hopefully I'll find a solution and post it here.

Thanks for all the ideas so far!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info