My arctic armour all fire mage build -- feedback appreciated!

Hey there guys,
Before getting into this, this is my first attempt at creating my own build, so all critique/ feedback is welcome :)

Since I really like the fire spells, and am not a big fan of melee characters, I wanted to create a cool fire mage build that can handle itself well and isn't very squishy like some mages/ witches out there.
The idea is to use fireball as my main skill, supported by a firestorm totem and maybe a incinerate + blind totem as well for offence.
For defence, I'd like to run a very high level arctic armour (preferably lvl 20, maybe + inner force), combined with iron reflexes, some armour nodes and maybe 1 or 2 defensive auras.
AA will also help against ele reflect, since Im only doing fire damage and aa reduces that.
This is the skill tree I came up with so far at 101 points:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgABAdwEBwUtBVsIZwx9EH8ZihvIG_ofAiHDJd8o-imlLJwtqDLRNZI2xTbYQYdDMUVHRZ1G10d-SRtMs04qUDBWLVfhWBtdxl4TXypgS2EhZU1odG5pb5507XgNeqp674LHgwmE2YTvh2WIG4jxi4yOvpDWksGUoJrgm7WcLaQZpwipbqvFrFmsf6-3sZCydbUEtfK2Qbc-t9a4k76KwzrEuMaeykrVgdX42CTYTdpi21nbXt-w4XPi6udj6-Tr7uxV7SDvhfll-ej-Cg==

I probably did a ton of things wrong, so again, feedback highly appreciated. As you can see I have a ton of mana regen nodes, which will come in handy with aa, some fire/ elemental damage, some life nodes etc.
I was wondering whether I would also need some totem nodes (never played with totems before) or whether they will work well without any passives. Also, do I need more life nodes?

For gear, I'd probably go with armour/evasion and maybe a searing touch for the high increased fire damage.
For gems:
Fireball + LMP + life leech + Fire penetration
Firestorm + totem + fire penetration + concentrated effect
Reduced mana + aura's (havent decided on this yet)
Ignite + totem + blind (how effective is this?)
Cast when damage taken + Molten Shell + enduring cry + Temp chains

Thanks for reading this, and I hope to get some feedback from you guys!
Last edited by Sandeerrr on Dec 20, 2013, 6:09:35 PM
no crit, no aoe for better 'shotgun' effect only 22% castspeed - not a lot of dmg (maybe 6k with godly gear)
You'll need a shitload of mana and mana reg on your gear to run lvl 20 arctic armour without EB

why so many points for IR anyway? there are no dmg nodes for fireball. determination+some armour passives should give you as much armour as IR or more with proper armour gear.

or are you planning to play HC and run determination+grace?

You will have more fun with a more dmg oriented build in a non hc league imho

and if u want a tanky caster I'd rather go for determination+Tempest shield and remove those points around the duellist tree (IR)

or eldritch battery + grace + discipline + iron reflex + mind over matter + arctic armour simmilar to ziggyD's HC EK build (wich I dont recommend in SC because man its softcore1 u want to do some dmg)
Last edited by azraelb on Dec 20, 2013, 2:42:20 PM
Ok first of all, thanks for the reply :)
I could go for EB but this means I need to look for es gear, which I'm not a big fan of, I'd rather pick up some extra mana nodes for the added amount of mana to run a higher level clarity so I don't have to choose es instead of armour.
Same reason why I picked iron reflexes; I don't like being too picky with armour lol. But yea I could probably spend those points going to IR better so I'll drop that and spend those points on some damage.

This is what I came up with now, got rid of IR and put some points in spell dmg and cast speed nodes, as well as an extra 40% mana regen, better?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info