[1.0.6] Goddess of Thunder - CI Storm Call tank [discontinued]

Welcome to my guide!

With this build i tried to create a fun to play but also powerful and versatile solo-oriented build. Besides the initial build, you can also viably run huge MF values with this. And if you don't like witches, you can even play this build as a templar, shadow or marauder.

But let's not waste any more time, here's a quick overlook of what to expect:

Pros
-extremely tankable: high block, constant ES regen
-ES, life, mana, reflect phys and light damage on block
-can safely run high MF values
-leveling using the actual build
-survives lag and desync
-reflect-friendly
-chaos-immune

Cons
-not very party-friendly
-not beginner friendly, requires some wealth
-slow movement speed due to anvil
-very gear-dependent
-low damage

----------------------------------

Leveling Guide

I'll reveal it right away - this build is not the fastest leveling build around.
All people nowadays seem to want is to rush to endgame, just so they can complain about how repetitive and imbalanced endgame is. But they seem to fail to understand how much variety leveling provides, and how much it can teach you about surviving with your build in various kinds of situations you'll face in endgame maps.

We will use the actual build to level, without the need to respec anything later on.
I have tested this with two chars and got to endgame safely, without skipping anything, partying, Alt+F4 or whatever.

Passive Tree Progression

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMA37BXK4IQB6UC40myLJzBtOTsdhF-rx8CNsXYJKcIj0YdFPrSTDVwfSjFqZXzvhoyUWA=

Start with the Mana Regen node, then go over to the left side for your first Block nodes.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMA37BXK4IQB6UC40myLJzBtOTsdhF-rx8CNsXYJKcIuJOPRuvuHRQo-vrSTDWCx2aecH0oxfnowBqplfO-WfMaMqyqUWAn7RkuxPbUjz0PZ5skiykufLt8uJ48PfxN2IFvjHY=

Progress your way into the Marauder area to get some Armour and Block nodes for Act 3. You will also pick up lots of Strength nodes which give Life.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMA37BXK4IQB6UC40myLJzBtFWu5OxEq3YRj6Z-r1JTLR8fAj1fbRk2xTvhwfPYJOL3oqOnCKcrf8a4k49GEZbr7h0UcLso-vrSTDXZE4LH6rpmnnB9KMUvb_noN4PAGnFNqZXzvqbrWfOazxoyrKpDY1FgJ-23MfPdGS7E9lj11I89D53EZ5skiykufLt8uJ48PfxN2IFvjHYspg==

Pick Elemental Adaption and Body & Soul, then start progressing to the right side of Witch area for Arcane Focus and Influence, then down to Shaper and into the Scion ES circle.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMA37BXK4IQB6UC40myLJzBtFWu5OxEq3YRj6ZSUy0fPV9tGTvhwfPi96Kjpyt_xsHFEZYc3Cy_7Bhwu5Mnhq7DbdkTtAwV1y9vNApGcdeGN2aDCeGIVmMspm-eHaqQ1qbryko3g8M66rqbtSj6GYrr7oLH-wm4k_no9tqnCBqPj0YdFPrSTDVmnnB9Fy8oxcAacU2plWTn875Z85rPGjJV1qyqQ2NRYICkJ-23MfPdGS7E9lj11I89D53EZ5skiykufLv3wXy4njw9_E3YgW-Mdg==

Get CI, Zealot's Oath and all Aura nodes. Respec out of the four connecting nodes on the left side once you can. The initial build is now done, now start finishing off the 120 Point build.

Skills & Links

Storm Call - Added Lightning Damage - Lightning Penetration
Your main AoE damage while leveling.

Spectral Throw - Knockback - Life Gain on Hit - (Lesser Multiple Projectiles)
Use this to keep unwanted enemies on distance, and to heal yourself when needed. Add in LMP if you can, it'll add more Life on Hit against bigger packs.

Tempest Shield - Blind
Always nice to have.

Cast when Stunned - Molten Shell - (Enduring Cry) - (Immortal Call)
This will safe you very often, especially against Flicker Strike monsters. Add in Enduring Cry/Immortal Call for more survivability if you can.

Conductivity - Temporal Chains - Faster Casting
Will help you taking out Lightning/Elemental Resistance mobs quickly. Temp Chains to slow down certain fast enemies.

Leveling Equipment

You can get most of this gear pretty cheap, just check at poe.xyz.is, choose your league and "Buyout Only". Players in Standard League should check out this thread: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/512409/page/1

This one isn't necessary, but the Elemental Damage is a nice boost for Spectral Throw.

Amazing leveling chest! You should be able to equip this for Dominus in Normal, and it will last you all the way into Act 3 Merciless.

Equip this chest for the second half of Act 2 and Act 3 Sewers in Cruel/Merciless for a huge Chaos Res boost. Make use of Consecrated Ground on Block to stay alive.

Good leveling sword, gives some Life and has built-in Life on Hit.

Your weapon from Lv20-35, you'll gain some important Lightning Res for Vaal.

+10 Life on Hit helps you surviving even the nastiest situations in Act 3 Normal.

+1 Gem Level, 5% increased Exp Gain and a solid Elemental Boost. It's a bit expensive, but will last you up into Act 3 Merciless. Put your Storm Call chain into this one for the +1 Gem Level.

Huge resistance boost, probably the best leveling helm around.

Equip this one if you have problems sustaining physical attacks, mostly in the later part of Act 3.

Good DPS boost in the beginning.

Applies Temporal Chains to every enemy that gets hit by your attacks, including Tempest Shield.

Simply the best leveling shield.

Decent Mana Regen boost, and Cannot be Frozen is a must while leveling.

Decent belt in the beginning, but switch it with a rare Belt with +Armour +ES as soon as possible.

A bit expensive, but the Mana Regen, increased Exp Boost and Wisdom Scrolls pays off.

Cheap and solid leveling ring, +1 Endurance Charge per ring adds survivability with Enduring Cry.

Good Mana Regen amulet, helps you spamming your skills continously.

Mandatory for the second half of Act 3, helps surviving Arc Mages and other spellcasters.

The Builds

I. Basic Build

This is the build you will mainly use for solo mapping. It will cost you quite some currency, but pays off with being able to run pretty much all maps and mods, with exception of Blood Magic.

Bandit Rewards

Kill All
Kill All
Kill All

Equipment
While gearing up, aim exclusively for Armour/ES stuff.
Aegis will replenish ES by 4% of Armour on block, so the more you have the tankier you will be. And high ES is important as a buffer to tank attacks, you should get atleast 4k if you want to run maps!

Here's an overview of uniques and attributes you should aim for:

Weapon: Moonsorrow or Wand/Mace with Spell Dmg - Light Dmg - Cast Spd
Shield: Aegis Aurora
Chest: Ele Res - Mana - Int
Helmet: Ele Res - Mana - Int
Gloves: Ele Res - Mana - Dex
Boots: Rainbowstride
Belt: Chain Belt with Armour - ES - Ele Res
Amulet: The Anvil and Stone of Lazhwar*
Rings: The Taming

*always have Stone of Lazhwar with you, in case you need Spell Block

Unique Explanation

Aegis Aurora: The core of this build and your only source to "leech". It is a very powerful shield, infact that powerful that some people want it nerfed. While i agree that it's powerful, a shield alone does not make a good build.

Rainbowstride: Those boots are almost a no-brainer. Spellblock, Mana, high ES, Resistances and Move Speed - there couldn't be any better boots for this build!

The Anvil: Your amulet of choice against physical enemies. You gain a huge armour boost and block chance, with the downside of reduced cast- and move speed.
The mana on block is very helpful in half/no regen maps.

Stone of Lazhwar: Choose this against spellcasters like Piety or Megaera. The mana and cast speed mods allow you even to cast one additional Storm Call marker before they trigger.

The Taming: Insane Ring! You will need two of them. Besides the huge resistances you gain also 30% more damage, 10% Shock Chance and in best cast (enemy ignited from molten shell + 3 shock stacks) another 170% damage increase!

Choosing the right Flasks
Flasks are an often overlooked but essential part of any build. For this build, you should choose three Granite Flasks and one Quicksilver Flask. The last flask can be whatever you need (remove stun, resistance, remove bleed etc.).

The Granite Flasks should have + x% Armour and additional charges. While your flask effect lasts, Aegis will get a huge boost in ES on block, helping you to survive even the hardest hits.

On your Quicksilver Flasks try to roll + x% Movement Speed.
Any extra charges or remove curses/status ailments will be a good addition.

Skills & Links
Storm Call - Lightning Penetration* - Added Lightning Damage* - Elemental Proliferation - Concentrated Effect* (5L) - Increased AoE*/Added Chaos Damage* (6L)
Cast when Stunned* - Enduring Cry - Immortal Call - Molten Shell
Clarity - Determination - Discipline - Reduced Mana
Purity of Lightning - Purity of Fire - Vitality - Reduced Mana
Tempest Shield* - Reduced Mana - Blind*
Conductivity - Faster Casting* - Portal

*Quality recommended

Playing Style
If you've checked through the Gem Section, you've probably already noticed: It's impossible to run all these auras at once. That's right, you will actually always run only four auras.

Determination and Discipline are mandatory, those are the main auras and should always be activated. Clarity is important too, only deactivate this on No Regen maps. The fourth aura is situational. For the most part you should run Vitality, as it adds a huge boost to survivability. On Elemental Reflect maps you should run Tempest Shield, the damage is low but enough to let enemies kill themselves, while you are save from dying to reflect. The purity auras are only for certain uniques like Megaera, Shrine Piety, Igna Phoenix or Palace Dominus (Human Form), and also only if you feel them to deal too much damage. Else it's usually better to just run Vitality.

Your next decision is the amulet. If you see heavy physical hitters around it's better to use Anvil, especially against bosses like Map Kole and such. It is also your only way to run No Regen maps. But for the most part i use Stone of Lazhwar. You lose a bit armour and block chance but gain lots of spellblock, mana, ES (from Int) and cast speed, without the cast/move penalty of Anvil.

Last but not least the 5th support for your Storm Call, incase you have a 6L. For packs you should choose Increased AoE, for single targets (Exiles, Bosses) switch to Added Chaos Damage.

Now you're ready to kill some stuff! Curse your enemies and spam Storm Call. Keep in mind SC needs 1.5s to trigger, so factor in your enemies movement. If you see huge physical hits incoming, pop your Granite Flask and you should be safe.

While this will work most of the time, there are some occassions where you should modify your strategy a bit:

Elemental Reflect: Just stand there and let your enemies kill themselves by attacking you. If only 1-3 are left, you can also use Storm Call to finish them off quicker.

Blood Magic: Map-mod only! Unfortunately, as all CI builds, this one is impossible.

No Life or Mana Regeneration: Map-mod only! This is actually pretty easy, Anvil gives you mana on block so make use of that. Don't use Clarity here, it has no effect.

Temple/Shrine - Piety: Switch to Stone of Lazhwar and watch out for her lightning spells. Dodge her ice arrows (Shrine only).

Act 3 - Dominus: There are four stages in this fight. The first two are easy.
In the third stage you will face Dominus in his human form, equip Stone of Lazhwar and just lure him down near the stairs where you're safe if you get the "Mark of Dominus". Destroy the Chilling Bonds if casted, and evade his Touch of God. The fourth stage will be easy again, equip Anvil and stay close to Dominus. Don't kill any summoned miscreations - they will keep you alive if you get Corrupted Blood stacks.

II. Magic Find, the wealthy Goddess

Ever dreamt of that one item, but you just couldn't afford it? Then this is the right way to go! This build is built around a shield, and allows you to pretty much switch out everything else to reach high MF-values. The passive tree stays untouched, so you can easily switch to MF and back.

Equipment

Don't just blindlessly stack IIQ or IIR, try to keep your resistances maxed and get a good amount of Ar/ES.

Weapon: same as Basic Build/Heartbreaker*/Reaper's Pursuit**
Shield: Aegis Aurora/Wheel of the Stormsail*
Chest: same as Basic Build
Helmet: Ar/Es Helmet with Item Quantity - Item Rarity - Resistances
Gloves: Aurseize or Ar/Es Gloves with Item Quantity - Item Rarity - Resistances
Boots: Goldwyrm
Belt: Perandus Blazon
Amulet: Amulet with Item Quantity - Item Rarity - Strength - Resistances
Rings: Rings with Item Quantity - Item Rarity - Strength - Resistances
Flask: Divination Distillate

*Luxury MF Cull
** Cheaper, more risky MF Cull

Note that Item Quantity can't roll on Rares in Domination/Nemesis!

Skills & Links

Storm Call* - Lightning Penetration* - Item Quantity* - Elemental Proliferation* - Item Rarity* (5L) - Added Lightning Damage* (6L)
Tempest Shield* - Reduced Mana - Blind*
Conductivity - Faster Casting* - Increased AoE* - Portal
Cast when Stunned* - Enduring Cry - Immortal Call - Molten Shell
Clarity - Determination - Discipline - Reduced Mana
Reapers Pursuit: Spectral Throw - Lesser Multiple Projectiles - Item Quantity* - Item Rarity*

*Quality recommended
Note that Item Quantity can't be obtained in Domination/Nemesis!

Playing Style

You will give up some of your main defenses, so always play very cautious! I recommend to stay at farming Docks, Lunaris or certain maps. Before killing unique bosses, get them to 10% life, switch to alternate slots (press x) and cull the boss.

I usually don't use Tempest Shield and Molten Shell for MF runs, it's a high risk monsters get killed while you won't get the huge bonus from your ir/iq gems. Another reason is for the Divination flask - the rarity/quantity bonus only applies while flask effect. Running only three auras on your mana leaves you with a higher mana pool, spam your curse a few times before killing, pop your Divination flask and then cast the killing blow.

I've successfully completed the following maps in MF-Gear: Cemetery, Mountain Ledge, Maelström of Chaos, Wharf, Sewer, Reef, Vaal Pyramid, Springs, Promenade, Catacombs, Tunnel, Shore, Graveyard, Pier, Underground Sea, Dry Woods, Strand, Colonnade, Mine, Dry Peninsula, Dark Forest, Underground River.

Piety Runs: Evade her lightning spells, everything else shouldn't be a problem. You can easily fight her in MF Gear and cull her. I'd recommend to do so when she's in her normal form. Check the video section for more.

Dominus Runs: Unless you have really, extremely good MF Gear, fight him with your normal gear. Create a portal upon him while the fourth stage starts, when he's low on life use the portal and equip your MF Gear. Put the ir/iq gems into your Storm Call chain and go back to Dominus. Now activate Determination and Discipline only, use your curse a few time to get low on mana, pop your Divination flask and kill him. I don't recommend switching to Reaper's Pursuit here, the little rarity boost is not worth the huge risk of dying.

FAQ

I have some questions but my english isn't that good. Any other language i can use?
Yes, german will do. I'm not a native english speaker aswell.

Is this build invincible?
No! Every build in this game has a weakness and can die. But if you play cautious enough, you won't have to fear death with this build very often.

Is this really your very first build?
Yes, before i always followed other guides and tried some variations of them. This, however, is the first build i've worked out from scratch all on my own, trying to build something that can survive what my other chars always suffered from: lag and desync.
Previously, i've always played leech based builds. As tanky as they can be, lag in an unfortunate situation and you're dead, simple as that. With this build however, you will easily survive and even heavily damage/kill enemies while you lag.
Another thing i wanted to eliminate was being limited in map mods. There was always something the builds i followed couldn't run, but with this build you can do every map mod.
Last but not least, i just wanted to do something out of the box. It was a sure bet that there will be many "totem storm callers", but this build is still kind of unique.

Do you have something against totems?
Not really, everyone should play what they enjoy. Totems are just not my playing style.

How much currency do i need to make this build work?
There is no real answer to this as economy changes all the time. Aegis and The Taming can get pretty expensive, as well as really good Ar/Es Gear. My current setup costed me around 75 ex.

Why didn't you include any rough DPS number?
I refuse to put any calculated DPS value into the guide as it's very situational.
Even though Shock Stacks build up really fast and will happen most of the time, it's still too unreliable to base a "blending" DPS number on that.

Can i run this build without Aegis Aurora?
Yes, just get an Archon Kite Shield with extra block chance. You will have to add Life Leech to Tempest Shield and take the Ghost Reaver node. However, this won't be as effective, and the initial build is optimized for the use of Aegis Aurora, so try to get one as fast as you can.

Why didn't you take Static Blows?
Quality Added Light Dmg and 2x Tamings already provide 20% chance to shock, up to 34% with Conductivity.

Wand or Sceptre?
That's up to you. Both have base models with up to +20% damage as implicit mod.

Changelog

31.01.2014: Guide discontinued, link to new guide will be added once it's done
29.01.2014: Rewritten parts, finalized Passive Tree, added new videos
27.01.2014: Build completely changed, first new video added
23.01.2014: Gems updated, luxury MF Cull Setup added
21.01.2014: MF Log added, seperated Leveling, rewritten some parts
15.01.2014: Screenshots/Gear updated, MF Video added
12.01.2014: Passive Tree reworked
08.01.2014: New Screenshots, new Passive Tree, ditched all crit
02.01.2014: Minor changes to the final passive tree
27.12.2013: Leveling Guide added
26.12.2013: New passive tree posted, some parts changed
24.12.2013: X-Mas Update, rewritten/simplified huge parts
22.12.2013: Added a new video
21.12.2013: Added quick overlook of all three versions
19.12.2013: MF section added, layout changes
18.12.2013: Video section added
16.12.2013: Rewritten some smaller parts, fixed typos, added FAQ
15.12.2013: Changed gem setup, updated support gem description

That's it, hope you liked my guide. If you have any questions, concerns or something else to get off your chest don't hesitate to post.

Thanks for reading!

Special thanks to my guildmates and everyone who keeps the PoE Wiki updated!

I <3 pets
twitch.tv/enki91
Last edited by Enki91 on Jan 31, 2014, 1:47:01 PM
ty, i've waited such build since new patch :)
will test today)
but mb i something missed, why are u using passives and items with bonus to low life and u have no CI ( on screenshot u've got 900 hp).
ign flEshQa
UruukHaai
Last edited by FLESH4R on Dec 7, 2013, 8:41:46 AM
"
FLESH4R wrote:
will test today)
but mb i something missed, why are u using passives and items with bonus to low life and u have no CI ( on screenshot u've got 900 hp).

Glad you liked it :)

You will buff one aura (i chose Discipline) on your life to get low life.
CI wouldn't work with low life, since you'll always be at 100%, or dead.
twitch.tv/enki91
"
Enki91 wrote:
"
FLESH4R wrote:
will test today)

Glad you liked it :)

You will buff one aura (i chose Discipline) on your life to get low life.
CI wouldn't work with low life, since you'll always be at 100%, or dead.

thx for answer, now i see.
But why u are not using Voidbringer gloves? Only cause u need chaos resistance on gloves? :)
P.S. I have bought all gear recommended in your guide, now leveling gems ^_^
ign flEshQa
UruukHaai
"
FLESH4R wrote:
thx for answer, now i see.
But why u are not using Voidbringer gloves? Only cause u need chaos resistance on gloves? :)
P.S. I have bought all gear recommended in your guide, now leveling gems ^_^

Currently no Voidbringer cuz i need the armour (for Aegis to refill ES) and resistances.
Maybe with a better chest i can test them again, but the 60% increased mana cost for skills will probably still speak against it.
twitch.tv/enki91
Changed the gem setup a bit, extended playing style and added a section about choosing flasks.
twitch.tv/enki91
One more thanks , dude)
Here is my stats and gear, still leveling gems :(
DefenceStats

gear

Now only need to change ring for another with Chaos Res + Cold Res + Strength.
Cheers :)
ign flEshQa
UruukHaai
"
FLESH4R wrote:
One more thanks , dude)
Here is my stats and gear, still leveling gems :(
DefenceStats

gear

Now only need to change ring for another with Chaos Res + Cold Res + Strength.
Cheers :)

Pretty decent dude, let me know how the build works out for you :)
So far i'm not having any problems running any map mods, cleaned an ele reflect map by just standing while chatting with my guildmates, tempest shield did the deal.
twitch.tv/enki91
extended with an explanation about the support gem choices, and a way to build this without Aegis Aurora
twitch.tv/enki91
planned to post new stats and probably a video with a new chest and my q20 gems today, but the seller removed b/o after i took it.. well, hope anyone else can help out with a chest
twitch.tv/enki91

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info