Is there a legit cast speed stacking build?

I would welcome help in that matter.
Basically I want to get IC, get *every*, single cast speed node from Scion through Assassin, Witch and Templar and get skills to work around that. Possibly use Blood Rage, Haste and Faster Casting support Gem for most cast speed. Is there any build that would work well with this?
Are cast speed builds doomed to use totems?
I welcome all suggestions.
Last edited by Unacceptable on Dec 6, 2013, 10:50:37 AM
A build that stacks insane amounts of cast speed would generally not be very optimal. As with any stat that scales linearly (which is most stats in most cases), once you have enough of it it becomes much more beneficial to focus on other things as they all work together multiplicatively.

It would be very difficult to grab all of the cast speed nodes you possibly could without sacrificing a significant amount of damage scaling, at least until extremely high levels.
"
Fearmonger wrote:
A build that stacks insane amounts of cast speed would generally not be very optimal. As with any stat that scales linearly (which is most stats in most cases), once you have enough of it it becomes much more beneficial to focus on other things as they all work together multiplicatively.

It would be very difficult to grab all of the cast speed nodes you possibly could without sacrificing a significant amount of damage scaling, at least until extremely high levels.

Whipped this up real quick. I would welcome further suggestions.

Also, I got some support that might be useful:

Faster Casting(obviously, up to 49%~)
Faster Projectiles(10% at 20% quality)
Greater Multiple Projectiles?(10% at 20% quality)
Lesser Multiple Projectiles?(10% at 20% quality)
Culling Strike?(10% at 20% quality and maximum level)
Cast on Crit(?)
Last edited by Unacceptable on Dec 6, 2013, 1:48:09 PM
Like I said, you've got so much cast speed that making sure you have a good amount of crit and spell damage too is important for maximizing your DPS.

That said, the build looks alright, there's some places that can be optimized though:
- If you are going lightning you should connect the Shadow area through Shock instead of the 2 int nodes.
- You can save a bunch of points by connecting to the Witch starting area through the Blast Radius cluster instead of the left side STR and INT nodes. You should also pick up the Blast Radius major if you're using an AoE skill (eg Storm Call, or Ele Prolif).
- You're taking the Shadow power charge and not the Witch one when the Shadow one is worse point efficiency than the Witch. Either take both, or take neither and connect past Mind Drinker.
- It's a total waste to go so far out into Templar just to get mana nodes, there are plenty of other places to get those. Prestidigitation is nice but the point efficiency is not there. You could justify it by also getting Arcane Potency, the power charge, Elementalist, and possible Blast Radius, but that's a lot more points to invest.
- You're spending 5 points for 7% cast speed left of Witch, not worth it.
- ES cluster in the middle isn't very efficient, there are other nodes that are just flat out better. You can connect through to Path of the Servant and get the cast speed but I wouldn't take more than those 3 required ES nodes.

I would do something more like this:

http://www.poebuilder.com/#character/AAAAAgYAAuMHpQhnES8TnhXXFecWvxbzHNwhwyMYJjwsnCymLL8tHy-dNAo2PTdmO-E9X0GWRKtGcUcGSbJMs1AwUlNVrlZjV-Fd8l76XypfamNDbRlwUnDVc7N-M3_GghCDCYVthq6Ia4w2jRmNHI-mj_qQ1pMnmZqio6SRpcunK7QMtvfAUcHFwfPC7MNt1U_Xhtte2-fdjN5337DgEuL344TrY-vk7Bjwa_Lh8-r5Zfyr

It's still pretty lowish on crit though which is a lot of missed potential with most lightning spells.
Last edited by Fearmonger on Dec 6, 2013, 4:50:36 PM
I was planning for getting *all* the cast speed, regardless of where it is. .
I went all the way to Templar just for the cast speed, really. Kind of missing the 11% cast speed you took out :S I gone for the ES cluster in the middle because it's a more efficient way to get the last two cast speed trees than going through 2 strength nodes from the witch tree.

I was going for all three power nodes and 1 more frenzy node(the one near assassin).

Likewise I do not plan using AoE, projectiles are more likely; I wasn't aiming for AoE per se, Ethereal Knives(high base damage), Incinerate or Spark(both low cast speeds) is more likely.
If I would go AoE, I would like to be taking *all* the AoE increase nodes(both or the other)... And I don't think that's possible without not being defensive enough :P

Try not to think of the build as of being of particular elemental; I took the three lightning nodes *solely* for the 2% cast speed in the witch tree; shows you how much I want to maximize cast speed :P

I know this is more late-game than it should've, but check it out =p I'd appreciate more feedback.

Last edited by Unacceptable on Dec 7, 2013, 10:21:55 AM
Bump :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info