Dominating Blow Block Tank / Expensive Build

Hi there,

after I reached Level 94 on the Hardcore Ladder yesterday I decided to write a little guide about my Build I´m playing at the moment.
Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/masshypnosis_

Update:
I killed myself on the Hardcore Ladder, cause its dead. Now Im at Standard, will Update this thread and answer every question if youre playing nemesis/hardcore. you wont die, but you might want to if you see how dead that ladder is. :(
Build is near the same, will Update when I reach Level 95.

Before we get started some things you have to know about this build:

- This Build is VERY expensive, if you dont have the currency / items / gems required you wont be able to deal damage and sustain Dominating Blow, we´re talking about 100+ Exalts or more.
- You will need a minimum level of 85 to get the keystone passive nodes.
- This Build will raise up an insane amout of minions, if you dont like to play with them, this build is the wrong for you.
- If you got a party member playing a freeze Build (Ice Spear Totem / Crit Ice Damage) you have to switch some attacks.

This is one if not the strongest Build Ingame, so if you´re not scared about the points above here we go:

Why I play this Build:

Mods like -resist, no life reg, added damage, chain, more projectiles, Reflect (Elemental / Physical), all curse mods wont hit you.
Youre complete immun to all these mods, you can mow into a group of monster on a -resist, any reflect, added damage, no life no mana reg map without thinking about to die there.
Even Lightning Thorns wont hit you.
This maps will just fill up youre mappool.
So I play maps like this:
Spoiler

I played Freeze Pulse with Kaoms / Lightning Arrow / Dual Totem / Explosive Arrow and some other builds and I was thinking about a REAL TANK.
So i was browsing the Forum and found a Build that fit my dream. That Build was called Dragons Infernal Blow (here the Link):

I saw that the Build got a weakness against -resist + reflect map mods (corpse explosion), so I decided to improve this a bit. Thanks to Dragon + Juhazzz for the Infernal Blow Idea :)

Pro & Cons:

Pro:
- Very Tanky
- Insane Clearspeed while solo playing
- Nice Group Support
- 50-150 Minions each Map
- Nice Minion Damage (They kill Vaal on Maze within 10-20 Seconds)
- Can play every map except "Blood Magic"
- Work on every Ladder
- Can kill all bosses on every map

Cons:
- High Gear required
- High Level required
- 1 Shot abilities are dangerous (Vaal Smash / Dominus Smash)
- Burning Ground like this Rocks on a -Resist Map will hurt you.
- Really hard hits can hurt you. (3-4k damage)

Passive Tree:

100 Points used:

My current Build level 94, there will be some changes in the near future:

Level 1-90:
Until you can play with Soultaker / Aegis Aurora / 6L Chest level up with a Skill you prefer, I leveled with Infernal Blow. After reaching this level all you will skill until lvl 90 is defense if youre playing Hardcore. If you play Standard you can grab some more damage nodes before taking defense.

Level 90-100:
Skill as much Damage as you can, youre pretty immortal now and you can mow throught every map within some minuts.

Bandit Rewards:

Normal: Help Oak
Cruel: Kill All
Merc: Kill All or take the +Endu Charge (I have killed all)

Before we take a loot to the gear here a list what you will need:

+55 Dex for Faster Attacks require 109 Dex
+11 Int if you got a perfect Amulet for Saintly Chainmail require 115
+30 Chaos resist if you wanna play safe with Blood Rage Gem

My Gear how I solved the dex/int issue:
Spoiler

Keystone Uniqs:
Spoiler

Soultaker:
This Item is the must have for this build, you wont need the legacy version, because your minion will deal min. 50% of your damage. You will need the Soultaker because of the Mana Cost. Dominating Blow within a 6L cost you 318 Mana PER HIT and my Attack speed is 7,46 per Second. So you will kill yourself after a few seconds.

Aegis Aurora + Rainbowstride + Stone of Lazhwar:
This 3 Uniqs will give you Block and ES regen. If you dont know how this work, here a little explanation:
Every time you block an attack or a spell 4% of Armour will be gained to your ES.

Keystone Items:

Gloves (Titan Gauntlets): Armour / Resist / Life
Belt (Leather Belt): Armour / ES / Life / Resist / Weapon Elemental Dmg
Helmed (Praetor Crown): Armour/ES / Life / Resist
Rings (Coral Ring): Dex / Int / Life / Weapon Elemental Dmg
Chest (Saintily Chainmail): Armour/ES / Life / Resist

Gems:

You need the following Gems with Quality:
Heavy Strike, Weapon Elemental Damage, Meele Physical Damage, Immortal Call, 3x Increased Duration, Blood Rage, Tempest Shield, Meele Splash, 2x Faster Attacks, Multistrike, Dominating Blow, Added Fire Damage, Vulnarability

Level Up these gems until you cant because of the dex/int issue:
Vulnerability, Blood Rage

4-L:
Faster Attacks - Shield Charge - Flicker Strike - Leap Slam

4-L:
Tempest Shield - Hatred - Determination - Reduced Mana

4-L:
Blood Magic - Vulnerability - Blood Rage - Increased Duration

3-L:
Cast When Damage Taken (lvl 1) - Molten Shell (lvl 7) - Enduring Cry (lvl 5)

3-L:
Cast When Damag Taken (lvl 20) - Increased Duration - Immortal Call

6-L:
Dominating Blow - Meele Splash - Increased Duration - faster Attacks - Multistrike - Meele Physical Damage

6-L Against Mapboss:
Heavy Strike - Faster Attacks - Meele Physical Damage - Added Fire Damage - Weapon Elemental Damage

Aura:
Hatred will give you the most +Damage, because your Main Hand and your linked gems increase your Physical Damage.
Determination will give you the most defense and increase your Armour. So every time you block, you will gain more ES.

The 6L:
You play with Dominating Blow, every single monster you dominate will gain the linked gems. So Increased Duration with 20% Quality is insane. Your Minions will stay at your side for 79 seconds, thats a huge amout of time to convert more minions an kill a boss like vaal. Also every minion will gain: Faster Attacks / Multistrike / Meele Physical Damage and Meele Splash.
With this knowlegde the following Minions on maps are insane (complete enrage mode):
Flicker -> the best, every flicker will hit 3x with meele splash and all other supported Gems
Charge
Titty Bitches
Devourer
Some fast attack monster

The worst Monster you can Dominate:
Slow Crap like Zombies

Flask:

I have decided to craft the following flasks and switch them for same maps:

Normally I play with these:
Spoiler

Flasks I will change for some Maps:
Spoiler

If there are any question, you can contact me Ingame: Masshypnosis
Last edited by Masshypnosis1 on Dec 12, 2013, 2:35:27 AM
the gear is like meeeh, but the build is great :>
Hello, I'm currently doing a version of this build but with a BoR. Was wondering if it would be worth picking up IR and Grace to not lose to much of the evasion value on the BoR.

Also, using BoR making you lack alot ES that you otherwise could've got on the head/chest piece. Would switching out either Grace and skip going IR OR even skip Hatred be an option, or would that lose me way to much armor/dmg?

Great guide by the way, gogo 100!

would look something like this. but would it be viable with only ~800ES?

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAxth7jFhjPfx8uCkuZ5vUjxkuJ-3ZYfPdrKrE9lcNcqlZ8zwt0iH7qpHOfNlZ_sAaxq6ezaC0kFVmnrc-pzCnhPrScU3-Cve-FCAaODbpcH0XLx0Ums_nY1BH7DjjaqmVgFZk549GQ2OI8TrYGjJPfdDQtzGsWS3STdhRYM9lWPU1kp48jHZVxp3EtfL-j4FvbqpN4wSzSsimV_AfAnE_JzGetPmiACpNFSAs6d0N_MVbr2egTiqHdimltkFKfWqT1e3AD9JNvqduaYTZZU1Y2yXfR35T3xv6q8Wbg6yvpBnnkQ==
IGN: QSTNMRK
Last edited by HaxzoR on Dec 7, 2013, 2:19:38 AM
Yeah you can pick up IR, but Grace is not the best choice if youre going to gear up. Grace need 153 Dex, you wont be able to get so high Dex required (you can but then you have to watch out for some pretty nice rings or gloves.....

800 is ok, but i would aim for 1200+ if youre playing hardcore ladder. Otherwise you can be in trouble against hard hits.
Shouldn't be interesting to take the 3 skill duration nodes ? 45% more for 4 point (with your build)
That would add 16 more seconds.
"
Masshypnosis1 wrote:
Yeah you can pick up IR, but Grace is not the best choice if youre going to gear up. Grace need 153 Dex, you wont be able to get so high Dex required (you can but then you have to watch out for some pretty nice rings or gloves.....

800 is ok, but i would aim for 1200+ if youre playing hardcore ladder. Otherwise you can be in trouble against hard hits.

Thanks for the response. Did some changes and picked up the other 2 reduced reservation nodes. Will be able to use 3*60% auras then (discipline) if casted with alpha's howl on. Only tricky part will be to meet the dex/int required. But made some changes in the tree and picked up some 30+ nodes. Will still need it on the gear but not that much.

This should put my ES over 1200.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAdwB5wJxBLMUIBcvFz4ZLhoyGjgb-h0UJd8n7SjFKS4ppS3SMZ41kjboNuk62D38Q2NGaUd-SshMNU3YTeNOKk99UEdRYFPfVcZV1lcNWGNYr1jbWPVZ81n-ZOdlTWaeZ5tqk25pbqpwfXFNcql4DXuMfLh82YBWgKSBb4TZhymI8Yx2j0aQVZHOms-bg53EnjyezaC0ogCkGaZXpzCnhKluqZWrxaxZrKqsr7T5tfK2Qbcxvoq-p8APwBrG2M9l0NDSIdJN1I_V7dlh42rsOPAf877z3fe--tL7qv6P
Last edited by HaxzoR on Dec 8, 2013, 6:46:18 PM
"
Kispren wrote:
Shouldn't be interesting to take the 3 skill duration nodes ? 45% more for 4 point (with your build)

Good point but imo I would not say that 4 points is worth it. The increase duration already adds to much when at 20/20.
"
HaxzoR wrote:
"
Kispren wrote:

Good point but imo I would not say that 4 points is worth it. The increase duration already adds to much when at 20/20.

Thats correct, 20/20 duration is enough to mow down a map within some minutes.
Thats a nice idea, but that 4 skill point will hurt.
If you´re going to skill the duration you have to replace increased duration gem with like added fire.

"
HaxzoR wrote:
"
Masshypnosis1 wrote:

Thanks for the response. Did some changes and picked up the other 2 reduced reservation nodes. Will be able to use 3*60% auras then (discipline) if casted with alpha's howl on. Only tricky part will be to meet the dex/int required. But made some changes in the tree and picked up some 30+ nodes. Will still need it on the gear but not that much.

This should put my ES over 1200.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAdwB5wJxBLMUIBcvFz4ZLhoyGjgb-h0UJd8n7SjFKS4ppS3SMZ41kjboNuk62D38Q2NGaUd-SshMNU3YTeNOKk99UEdRYFPfVcZV1lcNWGNYr1jbWPVZ81n-ZOdlTWaeZ5tqk25pbqpwfXFNcql4DXuMfLh82YBWgKSBb4TZhymI8Yx2j0aQVZHOms-bg53EnjyezaC0ogCkGaZXpzCnhKluqZWrxaxZrKqsr7T5tfK2Qbcxvoq-p8APwBrG2M9l0NDSIdJN1I_V7dlh42rsOPAf877z3fe--tL7qv6P

That Build is ok if you need the dex/int and resist. But you have to think about:
- Block Chance
- Life
- Damage

With that build (you cant run Tempest Shield) you only have 62% Chance to Block, with perfect Rainbowstride youre at 53,94% chance to block spells. That will hurt you against a Boss like Piety.

I have only skilled these reduced mana nodes to take 2x Aura + Tempest Shield for the 4% block and the reflect damage. And if youre going for Discipline + Grace you will need an insane amout of Int / Dex. I played prepatch with discipline and grace (Blood Magic), that was pretty nice but with that new patch and the life buff you can play without such an amout of armour / ES / Life.
"
Masshypnosis1 wrote:

I have only skilled these reduced mana nodes to take 2x Aura + Tempest Shield for the 4% block and the reflect damage. And if youre going for Discipline + Grace you will need an insane amout of Int / Dex. I played prepatch with discipline and grace (Blood Magic), that was pretty nice but with that new patch and the life buff you can play without such an amout of armour / ES / Life.

Yeah I know. But don't forget that BoR will give me 15% block chance. Will still be block capped without tempest shield and will be running all the spell block items/nodes.

Also, would be cool if you could include links to pictures of your offensive/defensive stats :)
Last edited by HaxzoR on Dec 9, 2013, 12:58:31 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info