Press start button, why ?

Hello,

Almost every game have a title screen where we can read : Press start button.

I'm always wondering why and also why no matter which button I push, it works. Why asking to press start if pressing X do the same thing ?

If anyone can enlighten me, it will be very appreciate.

Have a nice day
Because its ported from a console. If its a pc only game you will generally not get this.
Cheaper than free... Speedtree
I'm talking about console games only
So a cat doesnt randomly sit on your controller start the game then lose all your lives?
I have no idea what you're talking about. Stay focus on the question please.
Stuff like that is usually a cover to allow the game to load in the upcoming content in the background.
Forum Sheriff
that and my reason. if you leave games long enough the generally go back to the "press whatever faggy console button"screen.

Like it would make sense if it was to prevent you randomly going into menus and the game when you weren't actually at the console.
I recently heard (from Jonathan actually) that the purpose of this in console games was that the time that the user presses the start button is a good seed for the pseudorandom number generator.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Oh damn I was wondering if it was that!
I could see that as a possibility back in the day (prior to system times) if the software had no other method of grabbing a value with high entropy, and even then I'd suspect that it'd be moreso limited by the bit depth of the seed itself and not how it's initialized.

An interesting idea though, and I imagine over time that the creation of the splash screen became so engrained that despite the lack of original purpose, it still remains.

Reminds me of a story about some monkeys, bananas, and a staircase.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info