input on build idea High Block + Tempest shield + life on hit

just bored at work and rambling :)

guess the title kinda sums up the idea, was thinking of doing a templar because there is a pretty good concentration of shield skills around their starting location and the generic elemental damage nodes they get would easily allow me to add molten shell as a secondary damage source

just kinda curious if anyone has tried a build like this and what their results were. Was going to probably go with that unique shield that starts with a 40% block chance and pick up one of those necklaces that allowed me a chance to block spells as well (Stone of Lazhwar)

this is the level 60 build I came up with

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBBLMFWwz3FE0ZLhoyGjgdFB8CJ-0oxSlPKw0xATWANsU26TwFPC1FR0bXTDVRYFcNXcZgbWaecH1-4oKbhMSFxYi6iuSLjI9GkFWb7J2An9-gtKIApwinhKmVr2y1BLaGwBrE9sWK2CTZYd3z4XPjauQi5nzp1ew47SDvfPAf8wbzvvrS-6o=

I am sure I could add some other skill to the mix, but I can't think of anything that would really well synergize with the high block rate

I added some area of effect passives to boost the range and damage of the molten shell secondary damage source, my post 60 build included expanding out my AoE damage with the Witch passives and was thinking of maybe adding dominating blow + minion instability to the build, but not sure if I will have the mana to really pull this off, I have found dominating blow to be prohibitively expensive... if not that, I might just add glacial hammer (and elemental equilibrium?) as my build is very lacking on dex, so I don't want to go with any of the green gems (elemental hit would be pretty good for this build other than the dex requirements)

anyways, I am just stuck at work and theory crafting, anyone have an opinion they want to share? Do you think tempest shield is enough damage to rely on as a primary damage source?

can hardly wait until the 23rd :)
Molten Shell is pretty much the perfect fit, and that's all you need. BotW video of a similar idea, albeit in an old PoE version.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jan 2, 2013, 6:19:29 PM
I don't believe Tempest Shield does not do enough damage to be a primary damage source, unless you don't mind standing around for a while as your enemies slowly kill themselves. At Skill Gem level 16, it does a base 92-138 damage.
To me if you want to use Tempest Shield, you should use it as a shock applier. Link it with Increased Crit Chance and Elemental Proliferation.
Molten Shell is a good primary ability but if you're not taking physical damage it won't pop, so you would probably need at least one more ability to help deal with casters and such.
"
Porkeh wrote:
Molten Shell is a good primary ability but if you're not taking physical damage it won't pop, so you would probably need at least one more ability to help deal with casters and such.

Molten Shell also triggers off blocked damage; with Spell Block, that means any monster will trigger it.
I would pick up the two nearby Endurance Charges in the passive tree and run dual Enduring Cry for added survivability.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
Porkeh wrote:

Molten Shell also triggers off blocked damage; with Spell Block, that means any monster will trigger it.

"If cumulative damage physical damage prevented by your blocking or armour reaches a threshold, the shield explodes outwards" - in game tooltip

Technically it can pop off spells, but the spell has to be doing physical damage.
I hadn't really thought of adding endurance charges but that would probably work very well, thanks! :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info