Why solo when party play is clearly more beneficial?

Some are control freaks. Some people are introverts. Some people are greedy. I am all of the above.
"
Moosifer wrote:
so who is gonna make the post "FFA loot makes this game single player only."

I'll do it!

I only play in public parties with melee or close range builds, once a did a Vaal run (for an easy kill) with the usual ice/crit witch that everybody have, killing everything offscreen, with ice spear/GMP/chain and I only got loot in the boss and some small rooms.
Storytelling,
Immersion,
Pacing,
Build testing,
FFAloot.
Because life is short, you shall make rains of all sort - Amarena, the Iron Man
-
My IRON MAN witch build video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJOUcu0ioL4
-
Do you want your witch wearing PANTS? check
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/19769
well it used to be that soloing was the clear better of the two. And i am pleased to say the exp change has largely solved 1 of the two major drawbacks to group play.

That being said FFA loot is still an inescapable factor. I have found that unless you are doing high level maps or need to beat a boss that your class is clearly not capable of doing ( normal difficulty brutis for witches/ rangers for example) It is better to solo.

simply because you can go your own pace , you dont have other players minions/ play styles too worry about and you dont have to fight over loot. Some have argued that in good groups ffa loot is not an issue but id rather just sidestep the issue all together if i can and go it alone if i can.

It is just more practical.
"
Elynole wrote:
There are multiple reasons that I don't like to group. I have a small child to look after, I'm on-call pretty much 24/7, and I take frequent smoke breaks - all of which lead to me being AFK about half the time.

Not that FFA loot bothers me, because it doesn't affect me since I don't group. I generally like to drive myself into a coma when I have the chance and just kill hordes of monsters at my own pace while reading the forums and chatting in general.

Having played MMOs since text-based MUDs I've come to find that not everything is about min/maxing - when I was playing like that I enjoyed games less and found myself coming home only to have to work a second job in calculations and keeping up with everyone else.

Regardless of how people play, as long as they have fun then that's all that matters.

This is mostly how I feel.

I think somewhere along the rise of competitive gaming came a lack of appreciation (or even awareness) that video games are supposed to be fun. I grind at my own pace. I play with friends mostly, and we usually shoot the shit over Skype, so it's more about hanging out with my friends, doing something we all enjoy, than min/maxing. Granted, I'm still going to try to make my guy the best he can be, but overall, I just wanna kill stuff.

It's supposed to be harder solo... You're by yourself. It's harder to do things by yourself. That's how it works. It isn't IMPOSSIBLE to do things by yourself (in fact, i've found very few fights in this game that, with enough cautious patient gameplay, were insurmountable,) it just takes a little more time, thought, and effort.

I'm a fan of the system, personally. Games like D3 almost punish playing multiplayer. Even with extra people to share loot with, the amount of loot that drops per person in PoE makes playing far more profitable. I'd play in a group regardless, but it's nice to not be penalized for wanting to play in a party.
Last edited by Sevenernine on Jan 2, 2013, 7:31:40 PM
"
Dakaa wrote:
that's just you doing fine, not me.

You come across as this guy.

"that's just you doing fine, not me"
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
Last edited by Wittgenstein on Jan 3, 2013, 12:32:55 AM
"
Zakaluka wrote:
"
Dakaa wrote:
that's just you doing fine, not me.

You come across as this guy.

"Partying is so good!
I can't party.
Not fair, please do something about this."

So if partying is so unavailable to you, how do you have the perspective necessary to make an accurate comparison?

Oh, also, the public party billboard is open 24/7.

I think the OP mainly meant an organized party. If you're just partying to be in a party you probably aren't being efficient. And even at high levels of play there are times where you SHOULD be solo even if you prefer playing in a party.

I don't think this is an issue, it's only slightly more efficient in the long run anyways.

I think GGG recognizes this or else they wouldn't have Solo AND Party leagues.
IGN - Customs
#1 Duelist Season 4
Last edited by Customss on Jan 2, 2013, 11:35:30 PM
I prefer to solo because players on the internet are typically rush rush rush as well as jerks.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info