Block, Evasion, Dodge Build (Untested)

Hi guys, this is my 1st attempt on a Ranger build, feel free to comment and hopefully I could swallow the criticism from you guys.

Aim is to mitigate damage through Block, Evasion & Dodge.

Build:

Block:
Block animation only occurs when you there's a chance where an attack would stun you, that means with Unwavering Stance, Block Recovery nodes are not needed.

With Tempest Shield & a 30% block rate shield you would get 64% block chance.

Dodge:
Phase Acrobatics and Acrobatics for more chance to mitigate damage from spells or attacks.

Life:
Decent Hp to sustain damage, also try to get Life mode all armor pieces and help Oak for bandit quest.

Weapon Choice:
1st Set Weapons: Wand (Lightning Ele) + Shield (Eva)
2nd set Weapons: Sword (lightning Ele) + Shield (Eva)

Skill Gems:
Cleave/Fire Trap/Molten Shell/Frenzy+LMP+Chain for mobs.
Lightning/Viper Strike for Single Target.
Warlord's Mark/Temporal Chains/(Enfeeble cap at lv 11 due to INT requirement) for curse.
Grace/Tempest Shield for Aura.
Leap Slam/Shield Charge/Whirling Blade for escape.

Problems:
Resist - This build have only a 25% element resist so priority will be getting as much resist on rings and amulet.

Mana - Not too sure if mana usage will be a problem if that's the case, you could always use blood magic gems.

Damage - Damage is not great but can be compensated by supported damage gems and having a good weapon.

Wands - Have high INT requirements, but you only need to go with high Lightning Element but physical damage could help too.

EDITED:
After comments from Etlau88, I've change the build a little, since I need Arrow Dodging, why not taking Point Blank & Frenzy Charges and Frenzy charges could further increase my evasion and Point Blank will benefit Lightning Strike.

Only problems is with Wands as they need high INT requirement, well you could still using 1h sword again until you could get enough INT.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by heatzz on Dec 27, 2012, 9:02:46 AM
I found this build kind of interesting. I was thinking about similar build also. But first few remarks on this build:

- you take "unwavering stance" node, which removes all your evasion.... but you make an evasion build, dont you?
- the "crystal skin" node (duelist bottom) gives you extra 15% allres and you are only 4 nodes away from it. Imo this is a must have node.
- you do not take "fitness" (shadow tree) and +30 str node, although you intend to do a HP-based build. Those mentioned nodes would give you more HP than the +8% life nodes you took.
- IMO if you make an evasion build you should also take "arrow dodging" node (bottom right corner). This jsut doubles your projectile evasion rate. -> if you do so, then you can also take extra +8% life and another fitness node just above arrow dodging.

Some days ago i was also trying to make a similar build, but i didnt have time to test it:

IMO the cons of this build are:
- Mob crowd: with uber gear and shield you should evade/block like 90% of all attacks (regarding 75% block cap etc.). This build is great against single targets, but mob crowds will actually hit you, due to still remaining 10% hit chance.
- One hits are inevitable: due to lack of proper HP (or ES) and armor you will be just onehitted by strong mobs (those freaky guys with extra dmg and critical strike auras)
- there is no escape from elemental damage, except the "phase acrobatics" and dodge, which is IMO just not enough to survive. You can get the unique items with spell block, but spell block is still capped at 75%.
- damage: this build needs a shield and thus a one hand weapon. In this build there are no special nodes which would increase your physical/elemental dmg. I just dont know, how this build should kill all the mobs

p.s.: sorry for my imperfect english.
Last edited by Etlau88 on Dec 27, 2012, 7:24:30 AM
Maybe I'm missing something but if you go Unwavering, you can't dodge. All the evasion rating nodes are useless and I don't even think Acrobat works.
"
PyrosEien wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something but if you go Unwavering, you can't dodge. All the evasion rating nodes are useless and I don't even think Acrobat works.

Pops I guess I forgot about it........will edit the build later when I can access the pc.

@Etlau88
Yup, as above about the unwavering stance.

I was thinking of using lightning strike with arcing blows as main skill, molten shell + increase duration & tempest shield should be able to kill melee mobs, as for ranged mobs, perhaps shield charge/whirling blades to them then take them out slowly.

Shall edit my build later.

EDITED:
Build edited, please take a look ;)
Last edited by heatzz on Dec 27, 2012, 8:56:52 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info