What frikkin illegal activities?

Could someone agree with me on how retarded and outrageous copyright laws are?

Most shows air on cable tv or require some other method of payment in order to be viewed as soon as possible.
These shows end up eventually on a regular tv channel pays, which pays the producers for the rights to air the show, and companies pay the tv station for commercial time during that show.

Now something that most people with friends and family do,
is to invite them over so they can watch their favorite shows together.
If someone however is busy on the other side of the planet, let's say studying snow flakes on the south pole, he might ask his friends to record that show digitally, which is totally legal since everyone has the required hardware/software for digital tv watching in the year 2013.

So his friends send him a digital copy on a dvd, memory stick, or via a direct download from their pc to his pc. It is exactly the same thing as if he was there with his friends at home, watching the show together. Sending him the copy of the show afterwards shouldn't make anyone a criminal.

Piracy is only piracy if one aims for financial gain from their actions and distribution of protected material.

This is the point I want to make:
If I'd go to see the latest blockbuster movie, and 10 of my friends stayed at home,
and after watching it I'd explain to them in my own words, and even with some poor acting,
what happened in the movie, they would get the plot, the twist, the story, a great deal of the characters, the style and atmosphere. Regardless of how great or lame my performance was, they still wouldn't go see that movie or pay one penny for it.

But yet the industry claims it has the right to sue me for ruining their "potential incomes" by sharing content that they created and wanted to get paid for.

You can't ask for payment up front for something that the buyer isn't fully aware of,
especially with movies and music. Just imagine what kind of ripoff it would be if some guy went to claim he's a great artist, rents a full stadium, sells it out to 50,000 people, and when they show up he'd just fart into the mic and leave the stage laughing his ass off.

No refund. Fuck you bitches. Owned.
That's what the entertainment industry is saying between their legal lines of copyrights.
Only physical goods, which have documented properties that are known by all, have the right to set a price in forhand.
Entertainment has to deliver first, then get paid by donations and supporters.
It's not as simple as that, of course there are physical costs in most movies, rare ones with real sets and locations, any movies that aren't 99% cgi greenscreen creations,
but you get my point anyways.

It's absurd to claim copyrights to certain combinations of shapes, forms, colors or sounds.
It's all information, knowlegde, something that we should share, and not claim priviledge to, in order to increase personal, financial gains from.
That's the dead end for humanity and society.
"Im smartest. Your stoped. Dael wiht it."
And all you admins, just don't remove this post okay?
People need to talk about this.
Last edited by Quantume on Nov 11, 2013, 10:30:43 AM
Actually no, there is no way I would agree with you on this. Its okay to share viewing things you have recorded for personal use up to the point where you reproduce it on separate media and distribute it. How the heck would they ever sell any copies of anything if everyone was allowed to do this?

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
"
Pavshaus wrote:
Actually no, there is no way I would agree with you on this. Its okay to share viewing things you have recorded for personal use up to the point where you reproduce it on separate media and distribute it. How the heck would they ever sell any copies of anything if everyone was allowed to do this?

So watching a TV show with friends is NOT personal use? And should allow the industry to sue you for 100 million? GG... bye logic.
"
Quantume wrote:
"
Pavshaus wrote:

So watching a TV show with friends is NOT personal use? And should allow the industry to sue you for 100 million? GG... bye logic.

Not what I said... you can view them with anyone you want... you just cannot reproduce them.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
"stahp it pirates! STAHP!"
"you ruining our industry! Rhianna just had get a $20,000 haircut cuz you all pirated her song! she cant afford her $50,000 hairdresser! STAHP IT!"

"yeah we know Avengers made $900,000,000+ but STAHP! you killing our movies!"
You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world,
and there’s still going to be somebody who hates peaches.
"
Quantume wrote:
[...]
People need to talk about this.

Yeah, no.

This is concerning international law. Why discuss something like this on a gaming forum? It is like you deliberately choose the wrong audience for your discussion just to dominate it.

There are better places to discuss this and you can even google them.
Talking about sharing of information and stuff.
"
Velocireptile wrote:
"stahp it pirates! STAHP!"
"you ruining our industry! Rhianna just had get a $20,000 haircut cuz you all pirated her song! she cant afford her $50,000 hairdresser! STAHP IT!"

"yeah we know Avengers made $900,000,000+ but STAHP! you killing our movies!"

It is unfortunate that the same things that protect those evil wealthy people we would probably all trade places with if we could... also protect smaller artist, producers and other creators who are simply scraping by or living very modestly off what they do.

It's silly however to confuse the abuse of wealth or perhaps in disagreeing with there being no limit to the ability to produce it, with the simple protection of one's rights in regards to their work product.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info